Triumph GT6 MKIII Earth Ground Points

NDP

Tricky! I don't think I've ever seen one for a GT6.  Here's one for a Spitfire which is similar 

earthpoints.PNG.c4a79b1af42a89529ef6e5d193b0967e.PNG

It's complicated as there are two sorts of bulb holder, one earths to the body of the car and one gets it's earth from the loom. However as the cars grow older it's common to see a mixture!  Quite often there are earthing problems because rust isn't such a good conductor.

Obviously the battery earth, a good mod is a battery isolator which fits on the earth side and provides easy disconnection when working on the car. Other trouble points are earth straps to the headlamps which earth to the bonnet hinge bolts. And the steering rack has an earth strap to the chassis because the rack is held in rubber mounting bushes, loose this strap and the horn stops working!

1313929620_steeringearth.PNG.ef2d0f6d044f555f6c6c5e0e83574133.PNG

Then there's the strap between bulkhead and a bolt on top of the bell housing this is braided and can look substantial, but can be not very good at all! I've replaced mine with a cable. 

133384821_engineearth.PNG.05f831bfe211a222edd267932466bfc2.PNG

Here is a wiring harness for a Spitfire, very similar except the bits under the seats, these are for the seat belt warning system which isn't used on GT6.

143277596_wiringloom.PNG.91c214f38fd4617c785591db3a90aff6.PNG

Hope you can figure it out!

Doug

That's a real poser!

But for what it's worth here's what I can think of:

• Most earth returns (batt neg) come back through the loom(s) and are bundled together and attached in common with the battery 'black' cable on the welded nut on the side of the battery tray.

• Rear light units - Lucar tabs on the light units connect to the black cable in the rear loom and go back to battery. But common practice to supplement these with fly leads earthing the light units directly to the body

• Heated rear window: From right hand tab and goes to earth under one of the nuts affixing the tailgate hinge mechanism to body.

• Courtesy light switches on A-post. Earth return through body of switch.

• I think there's an earth return on the dash loom which goes under one of the knurled nuts securing speedo or tacho. Maybe, I think.

• Starter soleniod; earth through its body directly to scuttle

• Horn earth: Braided earth strap across the low steering splined joint. Then another braided earth from steering rack nipple to chassis bracket for anti-roll bar.

• Engine earth: At least on my GT6 this is a heavy braided cable from bellhousing  running back behind battery to the earth common point (as above)

• Front lights: Early models are earthed to a local chassis point. Later GT6 earth returns are through loom to battery common point.

• Points. Tiny little black cable inside distributor jumping the base plate down to the distributor body.

• Wiper motor. Eyelet on loom down to screw fixing motor retaining strap.

I doubt that's comprehensive or necessarily 100% precise but I hope its a help.

On 23/10/2021 at 07:32, NDP said:

Hello,

Can anyone give me a list and or diagram of the earth ground points on a Triumph GT6 MKIII.

Thank you.

Can we politely ask why do you want a list of earth points?
Do you have an earthing issue?

40 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Why is this in this section and not the electrical section where it would get more responses?

I think the OP has only been on here a couple of times and as he needed 'help' he has used the forum 'help' section, not realising it was for 'forum help' (and suggestions)

An easily made mistake for a newbie :)

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Why is this in this section and not the electrical section where it would get more responses?

I've been on here since 2015 and I take no notice of the sections at all, I want to see everything that's posted and if I'm not interested in a topic title I move on. The sections are just a nuisance you having to choose when posting. I might use them when looking for something particular, but the search is far more useful. Occasionally I accidently ticked a section and I think "Hm, not much going on" 

Doug

• Like 1

There are sections?? I, like Doug, go through the lot, usually in batches. I ignore the titles as many aren't much use as a guide to content especially with drift. I speed read down until something catches my eye. Sometimes I even know a little bit about it...but not often, but you all know that.

• Like 1

Sorry! I will try to put things in the correct sections in future, being new I didn't understand how things worked. Many thanks for all those who helped. I have some ongoing issues but will try to post them in the correct section.

Regards to all.

11 minutes ago, NDP said:

Sorry! I will try to put things in the correct sections in future, being new I didn't understand how things worked. Many thanks for all those who helped. I have some ongoing issues but will try to post them in the correct section.

Regards to all.

Don't worry. Many people look at the "latest posts" so see everything.

But may I suggest you explain why you are after the list of ground points? It may help with whatever issue you are having. I know I had very odd electrical issues last year, and it was down to an instrument earth wire coming adrift, which acted as an earth for other stuff too. Simple once found!

there are many ways to display topics   i use this  and keep all boxes ticked  the last replay is by click the time posted and this seems a good way 

the three boxes  next to start new topic   give you various predetermined layouts  i use the one to the right 

that on a PC /laptop   i dont use the phone 

Pete

image.thumb.png.fd132bf731e9796432d337abb8ce2f3f.png