The Spitfire that just needed a tidy up...

Josef

I thought a lot about extra holes beyond oil, and decided to stick with just the one. Topping up the gearbox is a service thing I should be expecting to do regularly, everything else I feel is a major enough job that I’d rather have the clearance of an exposed gearbox. The clutch and brakes are on DOT5 fluid so hopefully shouldn’t need to touch the clutch cylinder all that often. 

2 hours ago, Josef said:

Topping up the gearbox is a service thing I should be expecting to do regularly

When I drained the oil out of my GT6 gearbox the other day (in preparation for removing it to do the clutch) I thought it looked... a bit mucky, still serviceable but maybe worth changing. Then it occurred to me that getting that cover out is such a pig that I've probably not even topped up the gearbox since I fitted it. In 1994, ready for the first of five RBRRs that car has done.

I'm not sure topping the gearbox really needs to be that regular a service thing.

8 minutes ago, NonMember said:

When I drained the oil out of my GT6 gearbox the other day (in preparation for removing it to do the clutch) I thought it looked... a bit mucky, still serviceable but maybe worth changing. Then it occurred to me that getting that cover out is such a pig that I've probably not even topped up the gearbox since I fitted it. In 1994, ready for the first of five RBRRs that car has done.

I'm not sure topping the gearbox really needs to be that regular a service thing.

Well, hopefully I’ve put together the gearbox competently and the oil will stay where it’s supposed to! The box I’ve just switched out was as about as oil tight as a sieve that had been attacked with a hole punch. It had very little oil in it by the time I drained it… Though the lower bellhousing bolt is likely to blame there, it’s a bolt with a nut on it to shorten it, no copper washer in sight. 

In other news, I’ve just been out Dodo-matting the tunnel cover. 

14572C9E-81F8-41BD-96E5-7D450ABEA23A.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m trying to decide how to deal with the hood frame. I want to be happy it’s in good shape before I take it back off and get the interior trim done. I’m also considering getting it blasted and possibly powder coated as wire wheeling the whole thing is not appealing. 

In the meantime I was thinking about how worn the pinion was on the starter motor when I had it out. Sensible option would be to buy a new pinion. Though then there’s probably wear on the motor, so maybe it’d need a rebuild and I don’t want to immobilise the car. So I bought some spares… Five would be about right? 

I've stripped example number one. It had a damaged pinion so I figured if I was going to make a mistake and break one this was the one to do it on! The commutator turned out to be bent, which is ok as it gives me something to practice cleaning up on the lathe that’s already scrap. 

AB691A3F-F9C3-46C5-B48B-BBABAC33BAC9.jpeg

5D85C3AE-96BA-4DD0-B077-0C58B27C0732.jpeg

DD049FCA-79CC-474C-994F-4AF16F0F1FEF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Josef said:

I’m trying to decide how to deal with the hood frame. I want to be happy it’s in good shape before I take it back off and get the interior trim done. I’m also considering getting it blasted and possibly powder coated as wire wheeling the whole thing is not appealing. 

In the meantime I was thinking about how worn the pinion was on the starter motor when I had it out. Sensible option would be to buy a new pinion. Though then there’s probably wear on the motor, so maybe it’d need a rebuild and I don’t want to immobilise the car. So I bought some spares… Five would be about right? 

I've stripped example number one. It had a damaged pinion so I figured if I was going to make a mistake and break one this was the one to do it on! The commutator turned out to be bent, which is ok as it gives me something to practice cleaning up on the lathe that’s already scrap. 

AB691A3F-F9C3-46C5-B48B-BBABAC33BAC9.jpeg

5D85C3AE-96BA-4DD0-B077-0C58B27C0732.jpeg

DD049FCA-79CC-474C-994F-4AF16F0F1FEF.jpeg

Wow, that's a posh starter motor, it even has a synchro 

• Haha 1

I repaired one with new brush's, all was ok till I really tightened the two long bolts up and it bound the rotation of the motor, slackening off a little but still tight it was OK, have it as a spare as I switched to a Isuzu model high torque reco starter around $100, very happy with the conversion. 

I’ve been doing a mixture of small jobs, and messing around not feeling like I’m getting anywhere over the past week (and discovering my radiator was leaking so adding another job to the list). However, I’ve finally come up with a plan for reproducing something akin to the bit of mill board that holds the handbrake gaiter. The car came without even the remains of one. I’ve raided the recycling and in true Blue Peter style am starting off with papier-mâché. I’ve screwed a bit of pizza box to the car, and am overlaying that with tissue and PVA. When that’s dry (some more layers to go!) hopefully it’ll come off and hold the shape, and I can build it up further with fibreglass. 

6B84A245-EA00-4A00-A600-1948063696B0.jpeg

3D615566-E607-4718-96C1-FC8D829C3C99.jpeg

9 hours ago, AlanT said:

May be a Winter project on mine to do similar. 

I had the opposite thought, It`s less flexible in cold temperatures, My thought was to do it on a sunny day on the drive. Now all we need is the Heatwave.👍😁

Pete

• Like 1

The last Time I saw the one for the 13/60, it looked decent nick, however having started to "refurbish" the Tunnel cover with F-G resin and mat. My thought is to maybe coat it as well?. In the interest of prolonging life?.

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

The last Time I saw the one for the 13/60, it looked decent nick, however having started to "refurbish" the Tunnel cover with F-G resin and mat. My thought is to maybe coat it as well?. In the interest of prolonging life?.

Pete

Well, I’ve been thinking if I had to try making this again I might just do it completely out of card/papier-mâché! I found the fibreglass made an awful mess and ended up making the thing much thicker than I really wanted. Could be operator error there of course…

I’ve been putting off trimming due to wing worried about making a mess of it. I finally bit the bullet today and it’s actually gone OK. All the glued on bits are done, and I had just enough glue, including the old mostly empty can I had to dig out in a panic when I ran out with a foot of heelboard left to stick…

The wheel arches are a little rippled, but barely any of that is visible once the quarter trims are on so nothing I’m going to get upset about. 

3B347926-8461-4034-BF48-B5E9EFEC15B6.jpeg

B95AAECE-F357-44CA-AC55-DAA28F1F9578.jpeg

3D6DE3F1-54DF-4932-8BAF-B4D97DA3D5D2.jpeg

F9C13DFC-29F1-49D8-8114-C16A514BA0BA.jpeg

FD40960B-6B44-472B-8815-E16789735621.jpeg

929292C0-14ED-4C93-A42D-A6EE07B48E5D.jpeg

That’s the rear of the cockpit done. I couldn’t make the clips I had work on the quarter trims where they fix behind the central trim board, so resorted to a ginormous self tapper, washer and spire nut. The rear trim board was supplied with no clips or information as to how it fitted. Fortunately my car actually came with this part and had the four top clips still in place. The boards had a hole to take a door card type clip in a sensible looking place, but the old board clearly never had had a clip at this point and instead had several screw holes. I’ve used a pair of door card clips and it seems to be on fine. The rear carpet could’ve been better shaped, it’s a little too long, and not quite wide enough. But oh well…

D1F6C31A-F178-4B5C-B7C9-F23A1BD9E970.jpeg

CF20A544-474D-4A5B-921F-20F2D32D069F.jpeg

• Like 1