Steering wheel boss

Photos of my 14 inch dished wheel, looks OK but the horn isn't and was never connected! It's a 6 hole fitting and the current boss says Astrali but they are all 9 hole?!? So to make it all work (the PO had a instrument panel horn push for the navigator) I need to find a boss or try and fit the Motolita(?) plunger on the side of my existing boss. If I earth the brass ring to the steering column the horn works so it's just the boss/plunger, or some other widget, required to fix it. 

Any suggestions? 

Iain 

IMG_20220204_164903.jpg

IMG_20220204_164921.jpg

IMG_20220204_164842.jpg

I have bodged various bosses/wheels/horns together over the years. 

If the pencil, or even half of it (yes, I have had to cut them, repair, araldite and solder bits of wire) will fit to the side of the splined tube section and still contact the brass ring, something as simple as a light groove to seat it, some epoxy glue and a couple of cable ties or a jubilee clip etc, it would be a "fix"

However, with bosses easily available and about £25, not worth faffing about. Be warned, not all of the ali bosses are drilled for the pencil. Another job I have had to do.

25 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

can measure up the boss and take a photo for you if it helps.

Thanks Ian that would be very helpful. I phoned Astrali and they said they only make 9 hole, I said I have a 6 hole boss with Astrali name, patent stamped in it and he couldn't comment! 

3 hours ago, clive said:

I have bodged various bosses/wheels/horns together over the years.

Clive, I might join your club! I'm waiting for Mountney to email a drawing of their Vitesse boss which shows a 6 hole and if it has the pencil hole it could be a correct solution. 

Iain 

Hi Iain

Photos attached of wheel and boss. I can't see any markings on the boss, but the wheel is definitely Astrali.

PCD of the 6No.bolts is 100mm.

The 6mm thick aluminium part of the boss and the 2.8mm thick lip on the shroud are 113.4mm diameter.

The shroud tapers from 83.2mm at the lip to 80.3mm at the lower end.

hope this might help.

Ian

DSC_8105.JPG

DSC_8106.JPG

20 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Photos attached of wheel and boss. I can't see any markings on the boss, but the wheel is definitely Astrali.

Thanks Ian, it seems both Astrali and Motolita now only make 9 hole wheels and bosses. If all fails I like Clive's glue and jubby clip idea! 

I have to say in the summer when the cabin gets over 30C and I get a bit sweaty the nice polished wood steering wheel does get a bit slippery! Your leather rim is much more functional. 

Iain 

page 23 of the parts brochure 

mountney bosses are drilled for 6 and 9 hole rims if thats a clue https://www.mountneyltd.com/2014-08-18-04-28-33/steering-wheels/accessories

springalex bosses use same prefix as the club ones SB and SBR    ..more clues https://springalexltd.com/products -woodrims.htm

i dont  know what the differences are 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

page 23 of the parts brochure 

MB029 should be the boss for a Vitesse, the technical guy won't be back at work until Tuesday when he will email the drawing and I need to ask how the horn operates. The polished Ali centre looks smart. 

Mountney boss arrived today I need to source a contact plunger. The diameter of the hole is 10mm. The Triumph pencil doesn't have a wire for the horn push so is there an aftermarket option? I can find one from Motolita but not sure if it will fit. I suppose I could make one but I like the 'easy fix' route. 

At £21.37 including delivery from Opie Oils the boss seems a bargain! 

IMG_20220211_115735.jpg

IMG_20220211_115743.jpg

IMG_20220211_115759.jpg

17 minutes ago, Josef said:

Looks like it'll not have the problem of touching the horn contact ring and shorting.

It is well made for the money and about 3mm shorter than my old boss. I now have too big a gap from the cowling to the boss! 

11 minutes ago, Gully said:

Only difference is spade connector versus a screw terminal on the back of the horn push.

Thanks. I have a crimper and after playing with installing headlamp relays a lot of experience crimping! 

No can't use the crimping tool as I don't fancy drilling the rivet out so it's back to using a screwdriver and solder. 

Iain 

12 hours ago, Iain T said:

It is well made for the money and about 3mm shorter than my old boss. I now have too big a gap from the cowling to the boss! 

Can you not loosen the lamp on teh column (down by the pedals) and slide th einner shaft down? Or I am sure I have pulled the outer column up on cars. It is making me think....

But pretty sure that it is fixable. 

3 hours ago, clive said:

But pretty sure that it is fixable

If I undo the top clamp I can slide the cowl forward but I might wait until I do the column UJ. I've ordered the Motolita plunger so I'll have a choice of two horn pushes, one on the steering wheel and one on the instrument panel.