Carb mounting blocks

Paul Amey

We are suffering the effect of "short termism". Everyone got carried away with "the end of the cold war". We shut down our coal fields and power stations because we could get "greener" options via lots of Cheap Gas. Well now the chickens are coming home to roost, The trade-off beween Global Warming and Fuel Security, is here to haunt us. In the Hell for leather rush for "green" we lost the ability to think security. Yes, we might have got there in about 10 or 15 years (maybe) but giving up our own means of keeping warm and the lights on to foreign suppliers has been our undoing. And Barstewards like Putin exploit the fact, and if/when he finally thinks he is/might be losing he is mad enough to push the nuclear button. Welcome to armagedon.

Pete

13 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No, NO NO NO.

It was the "hell for leather rush" for CHEAP that got us. Don't blame the green lobby for the mistakes of the Tory party.

Worse than that, why the hell did the govt choose the Chinese nuclear power station? I believe the deal leaves teh UK taxpayer stuck with a contract where energ cost ramps up over time, plus we get the (enormous) decommissioning bill.

A tidal project was going to have the same projected output, totally predictable lagoon type. Initial unit cost marginally higher, but fixed over time. Probably rather easier to maintain in the long term and replace piecemeal too, and if decommissioned costs would be negligable compared to nuclear.

The idea of fossil fuel free energy is realistic, and is the future. Nuclear is here for a while, but there are better options. To me, tidal is a great solution, but keeps getting ignored. Too many fingers in oily pies. Across the political spectrum. Probably

EDIT and the other issue with the chinese nuclear station. The govt wont touch any Huawei tech with a bargepole for security reasons, but fine to build a nuclear power station? Forget energy security, I just can't see how this got approved. Oh, hang on a second.....

Many mistakes have been made in the past, more will be made in the future. The only time any of us can achieve anything is NOW, the present. I am going to try and have a good drive today in the sunshine. Treat each day as it arrives guys, enjoy your Triumphs, life is too short to waste. I'll guess that some of you have nasty niggling conditions, like me, so make the best of a bad job eh!

At least confrontation makes Brits pull together. Shame it disappears in quieter times.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

At least confrontation makes Brits pull together. Shame it disappears in quieter times.

On my local radio this morning: Putin only wants some parts of Ukraine, he doesn't want it all, only those parts where his people are in the majority... maybe we should sacrifice some for the good of the whole? Then the war will end and we'll all be happy.

1938 / 39 all over again...

The problems have not been caused by ONE party regardless of colour. Cheap was a theme that ran through the 80”s. But the gathering rush to be seen as green has had a massive impact on choices. There was serious research into carbon capture. A pilot ran for some years at Drax and was becoming successful. Some of the capture appeared in your beer. They also ran the hot feed water recovered by the cooling towers into greenhouses and introduced co2 to aid growth. All abandoned. Because coal is seen as dirty. As I said Short termism. And short sighted.

personally. Like many others, I’m not bothered so long as I can do it my way. Selfish? Yes, but I am sick to death of being told I’m too old and out of touch. My way may not be better, but it IS mine.

Pete

3 minutes ago, Chris A said:

YES! Just got back from a little run to see a fiend myself. Lovely, a little cool in the shady sections though

Managed to get the Vitesse going well and had a half hour blast in it. First time it has gone that well after the carb valves, fuel pump and dirty fuel problems. I'm never running it on 'Reserve' again. Two filters in line now, so may be ok if I have to use it.

Previously, dropped my wife in town in the 'Modern'.

Just repaired the mighty 1900Watt Panasonic vacuum cleaner for her. You can't buy those any more.