Carb mounting blocks

Paul Amey

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

Wrap 'em well, tell them nothing!   They get through!

For many years, Standard advice for pipework lagged with "Asbestos" was, Identify, record, wrap, paint and keep it wrapped and painted. Removing and disposing it was horendously costly. 90% of older Hospital properties and Schools, where so treated.

Pete.

Similarly in water supply repairing or replacing asbestos pipe keep it wet put bits in big plastic bags and take to a special tip all very costly.

we air scoured reticulation asbestos water pipes with alternating pulses of air and water down the pipe to dislodge deposits it also stripped off some of the inner lining of the pipe but the asbestos fibres were not dislodged so process was considered safe and ok.

I'm very aware of the dangers of asbestos - Our hospital was built (in the 70s) with asbestos lagging on pipes and as insulation!    The process of removing it in the 90s was enormously disruptive!

My house had  asbestos guttering when we bought it, relic of an earlier age.     We replaced it, but the contractors 'forgot' a twelve foot length.      It wouldn't go in the car, so I cut it in two.

While I sawed, my wife kept it wet from a watering can and we caught the water in a bowl of newspaper.    Afterwards, I bagged and sealed the wet newspaper, damped down the guttering and wrapped that.

At the city tip recycling centre, I went straight to the senior worker present, and explained what I had.   How should I dispose of it please?

"Put it in the skip!"      I'm sorry, I don 't think I explained well enough.   This is ASBESTOS!

"Put it in the skip - we're allowed a bit!"

I put it in the skip.

On 02/03/2022 at 09:52, JohnD said:

At the city tip recycling centre, I went straight to the senior worker present, and explained what I had.   How should I dispose of it please?

"Put it in the skip!"      I'm sorry, I don 't think I explained well enough.   This is ASBESTOS!

"Put it in the skip - we're allowed a bit!"

I put it in the skip.

Same here; I removed an old fireplace only to find three slabs of the stuff in behind. I phoned the local council for advice. "Triple wrap it in bin liners and throw it in the skip".

However: they WON'T take plasterboard which causes me no end of bother.

The marine industry, is/was riddled with it, many ships built up to the late 60`s STILL lagged with Asbestos product. We packed steam valve glands with loose asbestos. The tops of boilers often had a covering of "dust" which was largely asbestos. It`s why so many of us are on the "Asbestos Register". I still have periodic Chest X rays, though so far all clear. Thinking about it I must be overdue another?. I would suspect both HMS Belfast and Britannia Museam ships both, have a great deal still in them.

Pete

18 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The marine industry, is/was riddled with it, many ships built up to the late 60`s STILL lagged with Asbestos product. We packed steam valve glands with loose asbestos. The tops of boilers often had a covering of "dust" which was largely asbestos. It`s why so many of us are on the "Asbestos Register". I still have periodic Chest X rays, though so far all clear. Thinking about it I must be overdue another?. I would suspect both HMS Belfast and Britannia Museam ships both, have a great deal still in them.

Pete

They do, I noticed when visiting each of those ships, they have various signs advising beware asbestos. I'm guessing they are inspected very regularly to ensure no deterioration.

I would imagine many older locomotives in the NRM still have asbestos lagging too as they were often last worked on to be turned into museum exhibits many years ago in the days of steam.

Jon

24 minutes ago, Jon J 1250 said:

I would imagine many older locomotives in the NRM still have asbestos lagging too as they were often last worked on to be turned into museum exhibits many years ago in the days of steam.

Strangely that is unlikely, The are universally of riveted construction, as such they have to be stripped and exposed for examination every 10 years, and subjected to Hydraulic Test. To do that, I always had the lagging removed when I was testing. The same with Traction Engines, (Including Fred Dibnah!. Who used to (try and) give my colleagues a hard time). Much of the NYMR stock and spares came via Albert Drapers in HULL back in the 60`s.

Pete

we had to have a asbestos spec multi filter twin motor vacuum cleaner to suck up dust from used warranty clutches and brakes even though A was not in the compounds  but this was the H &S requirement   which we followed  1981 to 2003  when we being the last dept to survive  closed .

to disposed of the said dust we had fill the bags with any other floor debris we could get sucked up 

the bags were then said to be diluted enough to chuck in with the rubbish   a right load of cobblers  to me you dont want any dust 

i remember as aprentice in experimental guys would blow out well used brakes with an air line  fill the workshop with clouds of dust

this was before the dangers of A were widely known  but me , dash outside  dont want any dust up the hooter 

times  change 

Pete

15 hours ago, PeteH said:

Strangely that is unlikely, The are universally of riveted construction, as such they have to be stripped and exposed for examination every 10 years, and subjected to Hydraulic Test. To do that, I always had the lagging removed when I was testing. The same with Traction Engines, (Including Fred Dibnah!. Who used to (try and) give my colleagues a hard time). Much of the NYMR stock and spares came via Albert Drapers in HULL back in the 60`s.

Pete

Being mindful of disappearing into a tangential conversation, 😆, but yes agree with you on working steam engines, they would have lost their asbestos lagging many years ago during boiler inspections, but in museums such as NRM and some others, where they are static exhibits, many of the loco's were last overhauled or cosmetically restored in the 1950's and 60's (some much earlier) before being handed over to the museum collection.
I think it is unlikely those have been stripped of their asbestos as it would be hugely expensive and they'd have to be repainted. I'd be interested to know.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2022 at 10:13, JohnD said:

Wrap 'em well, tell them nothing!   They get through!

Google Maserati Club Asbestos to see what the Australians are up to.
Even trying to destroy cars on return that have spent the life in OZ and the owner took overseas for a rally

On 03/03/2022 at 09:55, Jon J 1250 said:

Being mindful of disappearing into a tangential conversation, 😆, but yes agree with you on working steam engines, they would have lost their asbestos lagging many years ago during boiler inspections, but in museums such as NRM and some others, where they are static exhibits, many of the loco's were last overhauled or cosmetically restored in the 1950's and 60's (some much earlier) before being handed over to the museum collection.
I think it is unlikely those have been stripped of their asbestos as it would be hugely expensive and they'd have to be repainted. I'd be interested to know.

Yes there will be some Static exhibits that may still have it I agree, the saving grace of the static exhibits, is that the "panting" which goes with steaming and is what tends to break up and allow distibution of microdust into the air, is not in evidence, and being painted and covered should not cause hazard. (one hopes!). Many Steamers are currently lagged with "rockwool", which 90% of the country by now will have in their loft`s which distributes tiny (irritant) glass fibres into the air if disturbed too.

Seems you cannot win!

Pete

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Many Steamers are currently lagged with "rockwool", which 90% of the country by now will have in their loft`s which distributes tiny (irritant) glass fibres into the air if disturbed too.

My second pet hate, after plasterboard. I detest working with the stuff. 

I'm sure that none (few?) of those contributing will still be guilty, but the risks  of asbestos, let alone rockwool, are tiny compared with actually breathing in the smoke of burning leaves, that I still see indulged in by some   .

In those who have never smoked, the incidence of lung cancer is 5-20 per 100,000 (0.05 - 0.2%)(women more likely to get it), but because of smoking, the actual incidence is 7-8%.  It is still the most common cancer to be diagnosed.

By contrast, mesothelioma  (an asbestos-specific tumour) is very uncommon, new diagnoses being less than 1% of all cancers.

Yes, of course you should take care if you encounter asbestos (see my post above!).      Exposure to asbestos can double your risk.    But enclosed asbestos, sealed into old machines is not a risk, whereas if it is exposed and removed it sheds large quantities of fibres, risking the technicians' and the public's health.     Elaborate and expensive precautions become necessary.

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I'm sure that none (few?) of those contributing will still be guilty, but the risks  of asbestos, let alone rockwool, are tiny compared with actually breathing in the smoke of burning leaves, that I still see indulged in by some   .

My neighbour burns them once or twice a year, but only when the wind is blowing towards our house. I'll swear he has a windsock somewhere. The entire house stinks of smoke for days and I reckon most of the village gets it eventually too.

As an apprentice I wrapped huge resistors in control switchgear with woven asbestos bandage and coated them with a paste containing the stuff.  No masks were given out. Dunno how many of my colleagues survived. Luckily, this was a 'Wet' process.

I had to dispose of an asbestos boiler chimney years back as the plumber refused to do it. I soaked it in an old water butt for weeks then placed it in a thick liner and took it to a disposal centre. They just trod on it and put it in landfill. I could have done that and saved a long journey.

In Eastbourne bonfires are not allowed but log burners can still be used, It is surprising just how many different smells are detectable at night. Now that fuel prices are rising this is going to become worse. No point worrying about that whilst Putin terrorises the World eh!

Not wishing to get into the war issues but I can't help but wonder how all this destruction fits into the plans of reducing global warming. Just what the **** are we all doing trying to save the planet when this monstrosity can go on unchecked. 

• Like 1

Exactly  right

26 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Not wishing to get into the war issues but I can't help but wonder how all this destruction fits into the plans of reducing global warming. Just what the **** are we all doing trying to save the planet when this monstrosity can go on unchecked. 

Exactly  right, where are all the green brigade now. Get over to Russia and preach to them.

2 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

where are all the green brigade now

I think they probably have more of a sense of perspective than some of their detractors, and are more concerned at the violence, destruction, loss of life, threat to democracy and freedom, and general escalation of potential nuclear threat that Putin is creating, and are campaigning on THOSE grounds for an end to hostilities. Because they're not complete idiots.

• Like 2