Bullet Connector Crimping

Neil Clark

Any thoughts on crimping?  I only have a ratchet type spade terminal tool with three jaw sizes.  I've tried it on some bullets (I've only 10 or so to do) and while it crushes the entry end for the wire, the bullet point looks OK.  I don't really want to buy a special tool or a soldering iron just for this.

I would always advocate using the right tool for the job but as long as your bullet is tightly secured to the wire (Can you pull it off with a pair of pliers?) then you should have a satisfactory crimp. If you have a DVM or AVO, a quick test for resistance in the joint would also be advisable.

While people have strong opinions one way or another (including me, I’m not a fan of crimped connectors!) they are both recognised and acceptable ways of making an electrical connection, when done properly that is!

I work in the Electrical Contracting Industry, and in our Panel division they use extensively Crimped connections on their Control and LV Distribution Panels, some with Currents of up to 1,600 Amps with no issues?

The important thing is to use good quality Ratchet type crimpers (I don't trust the usual hand type) and also use the correct size crimp to suit the cable size, for a car most of the Crimp Lugs will be either red 1/1.5mm sq size cables, Blue 2.5mm sq size cable and yellow 4/6mm sq size cables.

The problem is our cars are usually fitted with Imperial size cables, so knowing which crimp size to use is a bit of guess work which is not ideal, although there are charts which cross reference between Metric/Imperial cable sizes?

Another thing is the modern type Crimp lugs in Red/Blue/Yellow colours always look a bit messy and out of place I think on an old car

There are issue you can have with soldered connections too in some situations, I think the original Looms on our cars had a combination of crimped and soldered connections

Gary 

• Like 1

Interesting range of views.  The PO's 2015 professional rebuild used what look like properly crimped connectors on a brand new loom.  After it was driven into a tree and the front end chassis and bonnet wrecked, I bought it and after unpicking the loom from the squished bonnet found that every crimped connector was sound and secure and unaffected.  I threw away the wires showing any sign of damage and yesterday plugged in two new headlamp looms with bullets into the old loom.  And there was light!  I've got the correct wires for the side / indicator lamps and I've got a set of the correct bullets and connectors (single and double) and I'll play around with them to check if the wires I "crimp" really are secure when given a sharp tug.  If not I'll get the ratchet crimper £££££ but I really don't want to pay that out for so few connections.  Everything else electrical on the car is fine it seems.  By the way - the bumper in the photo is only loosely fitted hence the droopy look.

37D4D1A3-2C82-449C-B7A7-3AA40CDE7D4B.jpeg

Huge swathes of "industry" use crimped connections, not just the automotive side. Properly made, there will be little to go wrong. Decent ratchet crimpers are to be had if you do online search. Just run a Battery conection front to rear on my (7.5M) camper, tests out well and the "drop" is negligable. Not everyone will do it, but I (as often as I rember) dip the wire end into some Vasseline before crimping up, (old habbit`s die hard) a throwback to marine work, where corrosion can be a big problem.

On "classic" work I can see the the "purist`s" might look down their noses, at multicoloured crimps. But we all have choices, and so long as it`s safe and reliable?.

Heatshrink sleeving can be useful. (and an old hairdryer).

Pete

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Mark my words it'll go brittle and break! In 40 years time you'll be sorry you didn't listen.

Doug

In 40 years time I'll be sorry I didn't go to the loo; I won't be able to listen to anything by that time and it won't be bullet connectors that will be brittle and break.. :).

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Is that a health tip for the present, to go often (W.. or P..)?, or sorry you may not be able make it too the loo in the future? 

It's the old-age adage: never pass a toilet. As in walk past, not as in pass.... you know what I mean...