Starter motor and alternator suggestions?

Piglet

I'm a traditionalist (where it suits!!) so bought a couple of NOS Lucas starters off eBay recently, both well under £20. Alternators, well I've only used the Lucas or Denso versions, there's another thread here somewhere about the pros and (mostly) cons of the Lucas ones these days. The gang here are well used to fitting modern alternators and will advise accordingly.

If you need a starter, best off giving somewhere like the Spitfire Graveyard a call. Dave there will sort you out with a decent used one. If buying from eBay/autojumbles be aware that the Lucas starters that all look the same do come with different bolt spacings (I’ve a box full of used ones I’m going to skim the commutators on eventually, not all will fit a Triumph though!)

Another vote for the baby denso alternators. I have them on my Ford powered spitfire and my toledo, both been faultless and despite being "only" 40A they will run a car in winter for 48 straight, so all through the nights with heater, lights, spotlamps etc all running. 

Beware the copies, they are not great. 

Re starter, the 4 cylinder ars seem to be fine with the original starters, but the supply of decent ones is getting thin. Colin got lucky with NOS ones, but if yours is playing up and you want to have the engine whizz over on the starter, the Club shop may be a good place? RAC401 is the part number, although RAC 414 is the number the manufacturer recommends (go figure!)

Have a look here. 

there is no doubt a geared/hi torque starter will fling the engine over far quicker than the originals and they run on  so little current in comparison 

will whizz an engine into life when the battery has been left to go in a low state due to lack of use 

had one on my Vit 6 for years  but not needed to use one for the lucas pre engaged unit on the 2000  they are more reliable

(as a fan of the HT   i dont currently have one Ha )

you do need to weigh up the £££s  involved 

if you fit a hi T you must keep the orig spacer and shims or you may run into mesh /engagement hic ups 

Pete

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm a traditionalist (where it suits!!) so bought a couple of NOS Lucas starters off eBay recently

I'm also in the "stick with original" camp. I've never had a problem with the original spec starter failing to spin the engine nicely that wasn't down to a fault - expired brushes, dead battery, failing solenoid, jammed bendix - on either the 4-cyl or 6-cyl engines. Where they do fall a little short compared to pre-engaged is on engines that regularly "fire and fail", or gradually splutter into life. The first kick will disengage a Bendix starter but the engine isn't actually running yet. I was definitely glad the PI had a pre-engaged!

• Like 1

I have a Bosch Hi Torque starter for a 93 to 95 Toyota (Holden) Commercial 4cyl Rodeo fitted to my Mk2 Vitesse as recommended by Paul Teglizer (USA) the spacer needed trimming to around half thickness. so it cleared the flywheel. I'm happy with it it spins faster than the original Lucas unit. Note Hi Torques engage on the front (engine side) of the starter ring not the rear like the Bendix unit.

not sure if the HT used on the many have this but all our truck pre engaged the sol indexed the pinion 1/2 tooth on firing up so it always engaged and didnt butt 

against a blind tooth  if you fired the sol you could see the pinion rotate that little bit each time 

Pete T 's   obsevation is that the flywheel teeth are now chamfered on the wrong side , the new pinion is chamfered to easy mesh but hopefully the sol 

does the 1/2 tooth trick .......  whos going to test one to prove this out   ?????????

Pete

12 hours ago, clive said:

Another vote for the baby denso alternators. I have them on my Ford powered spitfire and my toledo, both been faultless and despite being "only" 40A they will run a car in winter for 48 straight, so all through the nights with heater, lights, spotlamps etc all running. 

Beware the copies, they are not great. 

Re starter, the 4 cylinder ars seem to be fine with the original starters, but the supply of decent ones is getting thin. Colin got lucky with NOS ones, but if yours is playing up and you want to have the engine whizz over on the starter, the Club shop may be a good place? RAC401 is the part number, although RAC 414 is the number the manufacturer recommends (go figure!)

Have a look here. 

Another vote for Hi Torque RAC401 - Worth every penny 

Paul