Underseal Removal

Martin Parkes

1 hour ago, clive said:

Try diesel. leave it to soak for a decent amount of time. I would cover it with clingfilm or foil to help stop it drying out. Then a plastic scraper. 

Would be cheaper to soak it in unicorn urine at today's prices... ! 😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, clive said:

Try diesel. leave it to soak for a decent amount of time. I would cover it with clingfilm or foil to help stop it drying out. Then a plastic scraper. 

Does diesel dry out quickly, as is so oily?. I'm more wondering, if it would help to rejuvenate, old dry underseal (that can cause moisture traps).

If it does stay oily, is that a safety issue regarding car fires?

diesel will eventually dry out. But no real fire risk, it is not easy to get it to burn. 

Old engine oil was the old way of rustproofing, however that can cause issues if it drips onto the road (as can desel on the road) I have scars because of oil/diesel on the road, and one less spitfire. 

On 31/08/2022 at 18:30, clive said:

I have scars because of oil/diesel on the road, and one less spitfire. 

There was a big Campaign back in the 80`s over overfilling Diesel Tanks, Run by MAG, if I recall. Several cases of Motorcyclists having been killed after hitting a patch of Diesel.

Pete

9 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Several cases of Motorcyclists having been killed after hitting a patch of Diesel.

I had a very slow speed off a few years ago on diesel which was most likely spilled from our local bus where it turned left at traffic lights but I would turn right. A broken brake lever and a bruised ego were the results. Fortunately the lights were against me else I would have been doing about 20mph rather than the less than 2mph I was doing. I protested to the bus company who then said that they would ensure that their fuel tanks were not overfilled. The sods wouldn't buy me a new brake lever though!

• Like 1

Near me, on the M6, is a dedicated lorry park and service station.   It's off a short Mway spur, with the usual roundabout over the M6.    It's well known locally as The Skidpan, as trucks fill up, too much, and the excess slops out as they round the about To get onto the main drag.    Lethal if you don't know!

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Remove-All-Tool/Crud-Thug-Removal-Air-Tool/PTGR280

This SnapOn "Crud Thug" is very good at removing underseal, even fresh, flexible stuff.    Pricey, as is all their stuff but may be acceptable for a big job.  Or, Eastwood do an alternative.

Certainly the dry crumbs are easier to sweep up than diesel-soaked sludge!