Spit 1500. Fuel tank vent.

chrishawley

Spit 1500, 1978.

Boot smelling of petrol. Whatever was attached to the vent on the tank has decayed to crumbs. But I don't see any witnesses of venting to the filler cap or external of the car. Is it correct that the 1500 just has the vent blanked off?

Not being sure, I've vented the tank with some PVC hose out through a grommet in the boot floor. Ok?

40 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

Spit 1500, 1978.

Boot smelling of petrol. Whatever was attached to the vent on the tank has decayed to crumbs. But I don't see any witnesses of venting to the filler cap or external of the car. Is it correct that the 1500 just has the vent blanked off?

Not being sure, I've vented the tank with some PVC hose out through a grommet in the boot floor. Ok?

Some times Aged rubber, gets porus, Enough Petrol weeps to cause a stink, with no real sign of a leak?

Pete

As Graham and johny said, the vent pipe was added to the tank for the US market, where a charcoal canister was required. UK cars retained the vented filler cap and the stub pipe just got capped off. There's no problem adding a pipe (hose or microbore) to vent that stub pipe out under the boot floor and quite a lot of owners do so.

19 minutes ago, johny said:

Hmmm suppose you have to remember not to brim the tank?

Probably safer with that set-up if you DO brim right up the filler hose. I mean the difference between vent pipe and perished/missing vent hole bung is between the excess petrol pouring out under the car...or into the boot!

For the UK market, the pipe was simply sealed off with a blind ended bit of rubber tube held by a clip and the tank was vented via the filler cap.

As  the rubber perishes an disintegrates, a  petrol smell  become very noticeable.

Lots of different ways to cap it off

- but a brass compression fitting, “stop-end”  (micro -bore, 8 mm central heating)can be fitted in seconds - and then can be forgotten about:

36B30121-4B40-408C-BF0A-073DFEB7389F.thumb.jpeg.6bc2bf5b5f5c2c44194103c16ab4998a.jpeg

14 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

For the UK market, the pipe was simply sealed off with a blind ended bit of rubber tube held by a clip and the tank was vented via the filler cap.

...Although given the pressure equalization noises I get opening my fuel filler cap I'm not convinced by the latter part of that statement!

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

...Although given the pressure equalization noises I get opening my fuel filler cap I'm not convinced by the latter part of that statement!

It is always possible that the seal has been replaced with the non-venting version for the US market. I think they are identical except the vented version has a small hole in the rubber seal