Spitfire Bonnet Wiring Fixings

Neil Clark

There were the fold over tabs originally (well, presumably, unless there were differences with the early bonnets). Is there any part of the grill fixing that can be used? I put cable ties through some of the grille mount holes on my Mk3 but there looks to be nothing equivalent in your photo/on the earlier cars. 

55 minutes ago, DanMi said:

or use automotive double sided tape. saves drilling 

I have tried many different "Brands" of Double side tape, despite clinical cleaning they all seen to fail in relatively shrt order. Anyone found one yet that will adhear to modern Plastics, which is another issue.

Pete

You can buy plastic clips which will take cable ties; they're supposed to be self adhesive but usually aren't. Remove the adhesive bit and glue them up out of sight, maybe four or five along the line where you want the loom to run. Use a good glue or sealant but once dry thread a cable tie through and secure the loom that way. I used white ones on the Herald and they've lasted years, and are completely invisible under the bonnet.

s-l1000-3730555848.jpg.13b6cfe42e09de1bd2ece5d5bbe63f32.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I note that every such clip I've ever bought has a counter-sunk hole in the middle for the screw that you will inevitably need...

Well you could screw them into the bonnet, I'm sure you could find nice little plastic caps for the threaded bit that sticks out in front. :)

But, yes, that's why I mentioned using a good sealer to stick it, the original adhesive pads are no use for underbonnet applications.

Neil - Don't forget that you may need the dispenser gun although I have mixed small amounts on a board. If you do get a gun make sure that you get the correct model as there are several which all look similar. Some do several different sizes of cartridge. Also the adhesive is date sensitive, so check the sell by date on the cartridge. I keep mine in the fridge!!