Wheel Dolly / Skates

Paul H

Cant recommend a supplier as I am a wee bit away from you but I would go with the ratchet type that pull in and lift the wheel.

I have three different sets of wheel dolly
1st I made myself out of 1" galv pipe into box section tees making a square with castors on each corner, these were used on a car that the tyres didnt matter.
2nd is a set of 4 ratchet type that are great as you do not need to raise the car to fit them, these live under my Vitesse 6 with the scissor hoist.
3rd set are pressed steel curved that the wheel sits but you need to jack the car up to use them and the castors catch on stuff on the floor.

So my recommendations are go for whatever dolly suits you but make sure the castors are free running and big enough to not jam on shrapnel that gets on your garage floor.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

aldi are doing heavy duty castor dollies  this week  would they take the weight   

No they don't. Tried one (LIDL are the same sort of thing), it split in two the moment the weight of the car settled on it. The board is a compressed type of thing that just collapses.

However: the castors are quite good so buy one, take the castors off and fit them to a suitable piece of wood or hardboard that will take weight. Much cheaper than buying castors alone and I've wheeled practically entire cars about on two of them.

• Like 2

Some years ago I "aquired" two steel framed bread tray castor units, the type that trays of bread are delivered on?. Those castors are quite heavy duty. over the years I have moved everything from a full size cast iron Bath!, to 1/2t or more bags of sand /gravel etc on them. They would likely cut down to make very useful wheel "dollys"??. The survivor, one was crushed by an LGV, though I do have 3 of the castors, is being eyed up to convert into an Engine Stand.

Pete