Water spot removal

Piglet

I noticed some on the bonnet and boot and T Cut does nothing. So I did some Googling and watched some vids and this seemed ideal.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254667967021

It's useless. More research and it has a 1 star rating, so the lowest possible. Another tip was white vinegar and distilled water. Nope.

Anyone found a solution to this (apart from a re-spray!)

Alex

Clay bar is a good thing to have for maintaining super smooth contaminate free paint.

I assume the spots from car washing?

If you live in an area with hard water you'll be prone to them after a wash. Some people add water filters like this: https://www.waterfilterman.co.uk/car-washing/568-aquahouse-di-car-wash-water-filter-pure-water-for-spot-free-rinse-car-valeting-window-cleaning-5060506004600.html

I tend to finish a wash with a rinse, then dry off with a plush microfiber cloth and that geneally does the trick. Failing that, a light polish with some meguairs product gets rid.

Not sure where the spots came from. I suspect they've been there for a few years and normally I don't really notice them. But they are annoying. Polishing does nothing sadly and a little light reading suggests, as you say, that a clay bar just smooths things out. These spots are under the paint. At a bit of a loss now.

Alex

I had the same on the Spit after parking outside while doing work on garage. It was under a cover but water / condensation left large milky staines. Nothing would get rid of them as the water seems to get in the cellulose.   I was told to leave it out in the sun and within a day or so they had all gone. I now use a good wax polish which seems to do the job.

Danny

I learned about clay bar from the guy who valeted my MX5 about 10 years ago. If your paint feels anything other than smooth to your fingers, then you want to use it before any sort of polish otherwise you end up rubbing whatever muck is stuck to your paint around on the surface. 

What car is this on? If it's a base and clear paint finish, the marks may be under the lacquer. Is the paint old or new? I've had this issue on cellulose paint, but it easily polishes out with T cut. T cut seems to have changed though. Used to be a cream colour with a destinctive smell and worked well. The last T cut I bought was white not the usual odour, and didn't work as well. 

6 hours ago, NonMember said:

A very potent, distinctive smell, that would cling to anything you wash in the same machine that's ever seen a cloth that was used for T-cut.

Same with thinners. I've been banned from using the house machine so have to sit with a coffee and a paper in various garage forecourts waiting on some dopey cow to come back 3 hours after her washing has finished to empty the machine, so mine can go in.

Plumb an old working dishwasher and washing maching into the garage. Can do parts and cloths at your leisure. I have an electric ring formerly used for the dreaded stinky motorbike chain lubricant called 'Linklife'. Now gets used for a brew. Just need a fridge and a hammock and I can be 'Self sufficient'. Damn, forgot the toilet.

Did more research. One last try before it gets done professionally. 

3 parts of baking soda to 1 part of distilled water and a few drops of white vinegar. Rub into spot and wait 15 mins then rinse clean and dry off. 

I shall report my findings!

Alex