Rear hub puller for Sit Mk3.

SpitfireGeorge

I do like the idea of heating the hub as although Ive never done that in theory its exactly what is needed. Theres no seal or bearing in it to worry about so it can be heated rapidly and, with rotation, evenly (needs a decent torch) to expand while the shaft remains cooler and separates🤔

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

did you have the old experiment at school  ball sits in a ring you heat the thing and the linear expansion of the ring lets the ball drop through

and churchill was in paliament   Ha !

Pete

Still do that expt, or did when I was teaching. Plus other similar perennial expts. 

But I am not certain it is expansion that does the trick. I have only recently had to weld a spanner to a bolt head (a long take of woe!) and the heat released the bolt. But with expansion, it should have been held tighter. The lump of steel it was wound into was large and the localised heat would not have expanded that much, in fact it would probably have gripped tighter. 

So I reckon heat just causes a bit of movement between the two parts, releasing the grip. Similar to hitting fastners with a hammer to shock them before attempting to undo them.

It is 2yrs since I needed to repair mine. For some reason I ended up with the 30" wrecking bar and socket resting on the floor and 24" stilsons (on the top hat) in my hand pressing down from waist level when the joint gave and I fell onto the concrete floor :(

20210527_143637.jpg

20210527_145257.jpg

Because I was replacing the u/j inserts, I jammed a spanner on the u/j flange. Second side I used a stilson. Yes, I have two massive ones obtained when working for a secondhand tool shop. They 'Accidentally' sold my toolbox when I had a day off. Therefore allowed me free access in compensation. Lesson learned ther was take your tools home every day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, The hub puller arrived from Rimmers, it is built like a brick chicken house, almost a two handed job to lift it. Put handbrake on and into fourth gear. Put puller securely on and put 30mm socket on centre bolt and wound it in using hand power only. Hub came off! Wow piece of cake.

Other side, cannot even undo the drive shaft end bolt! What a bummer. Back to reality.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

High Guys,

Got the other hub off without dramatics. Jammed a large screwdriver in the universal joint joint and wound in the puller. A large bang and it was loose.

Anybody seen some of the frightening hub removals on Youtube? One guy did not initially leave the hub nut on was happily screwing in the puller with his hand resting on it. I moved to the side of the screen on that one to avoid the puller. Another guy was using a hydraulic puller and when the hub let go the combination disappeared at high speed out of sight.