Rear hub puller for Sit Mk3.

SpitfireGeorge

11 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

FA356AE1-48EB-4962-BC03-E798D8206E35.jpeg.a0607c644794bb7373b3280100e91ff5.jpeg

DO NOT under any circumstances use a puller like this to remove a rear hub from a Spitfire or Herald.

The puller is likely to fail/break and the hub will end up being distorted.

You MUST use the correct heavy duty Churchill toll or one of the many copies that are out there - its also important to use the metal cup provided to protect the end of the drive shaft.

triumph-rear-hub-puller-tool-spitfire-herald-gt6-vitesse-1196-p.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KevinR said:

DO NOT under any circumstances use a puller like this to remove a rear hub from a Spitfire or Herald.

The puller is likely to fail/break and the hub will end up being distorted.

You MUST use the correct heavy duty Churchill toll or one of the many copies that are out there - its also important to use the metal cup provided to protect the end of the drive shaft.

triumph-rear-hub-puller-tool-spitfire-herald-gt6-vitesse-1196-p.jpg

Every day is a school day. Having never had need to remove a hub, I was not aware that a special purpose tool was required. No mal intent on my part, just responding to George given that I’m local.

14 hours ago, SpitfireGeorge said:

standard studs are too short and need replacing.

many can with the shoes removed fit the larger/longer studs   its time to upgrade to 7/16"unf or the M12 that many use without removing the rear hubs 

some (depends on stud length  use a small hole saw through the back plate to fit the studs  

but if you do really want the hub off  then  is +10 for the churchill type puller or you WILL bend the hub flange faces and give you more troubles 

if you up to the larger then the wheel nuts obviously have to match , domed nuts must not bottom out so stud length on those is critical 

and nut torqure is raised to 65lbft  for 7/16/M12 

Pete

Fair bit of tightening is an understatement. A scaffodl pole to extend a breaker bar is not a bad idea. It can help to leave it overnight, and even a bit of heat. Plus a good wack. Be aware it can be rather a surprise when it does release. There is a lot of force stored, so take care. 

My RH rear hub on the Mk1 Vitesse took 100lb ft on my old long 'Bendy' torque wrench, using the tool purchased from the club. The LH one would not release at 150lb ft. Had to use my bit of scaffold pole, so could not read what torque was, actually, required. Yes, I did clout it with a club hammer, and use a 2kw hot air gun. It went with a mighty bang.

I once witnessed a Villiers brass flywheel that had 'Brazed' itself onto the end of a bike crankshaft. Engine seized, woodruff key sheared and the flywheel continued resulting in a friction 'weld.' It had to be sawn and then turned (with the lathe set to the correct taper) in order for the crankshaft to be used again. The key remnant was drifted out.

Leave it under tension overnight and it will as said above pop off when its broken its grip 

giving it a good wack might help but with the puller in place there is a lot of mass to make a good wack a real shock 

and hub flange  distortion is easliy acquired if you get too rough 

Pete

hi there

When taking my rear hubs off with the correct tool i used an air rachet.  First undo the nut a few turns but leave enough on so that when it does give it doesnt go flying across the room (think i removed the thick washer). Then set compressor to low ish psi (think I started with 30). Give that a go and then ramp up the compressor pressure, perhaps with a knock of a hammer too for good measure on the housing. For me it just slid of nice and easy. Perhaps I was lucky but not at all stressful.

one thing is certain it will either pop of without any swearing or remain stuck fast and no amount  strong tea and whisky will budge it 

and when your not paying attention the whole lump will jump off and land on your foot   Ouch    it  is one of the better jobs for making trouble 

Pete