Vitesse mk2 boot trim

Iain T

Evening chaps I have a naked rear end! The PO had my car de-blinged hence the boot doesn't have the correct number plate cowl, light or ali panel. It only has the smaller Herald, 13/60 cowl and a large Lucas rally lamp for reversing (although it wasn't wired in). 

I have just bought the number plate cowl from fleabay and I can get the seal and ali panel from the club or others as to the lamp I'm struggling. There is one again on fleabay but I'm not sure it's the correct one. Any suggestions as to the best places to look? The badges again I can get from various places. 

Iain 

Iain I assume its a Mk2 Vitesse, which uses the Lucas Model L469 combined Number Plate & Reversing Light there's one on eBay Item 164955932971, it says used but looks new.  Not cheap at 108GBP.

Interestingly I saw a conversion reported where the reverse part of the light used a changing colour LED and utilized it as a white reverse light and red 3rd brake light, I haven't tried it as it looked a bit too involved.. 

The same light was used on Jag XK120/140 various Riley's and Wolseley's.

You will need the Vitesse specific mounting bracket, ie DIY possible if you can get a loaner to copy.

Profile of Vitesse Bracket for L469.JPG

Underside & Bracket of L469.JPG

vitesse L469 Bracket with rear Boot internal backplate.JPG

Edited by Peter Truman
Pic's added
  • Like 1

The original panel was steel and weighed a ton made the boot lid heavy, my mate here in Aus made one from an extruded Ali sheet/panel but the horiz ridges protrude out not in over looks the same and cost a couple of $. He Silka glued the holding studs on underside and that was 20 years ago.

You will see my original light assembly has had the bottom number plate lense's replaced the originals were not the best fit & cracked after 54 years, the new aftermarket ones were sourced from a chap in the UK but I used small nuts, bolts & washers rather than his plastic push in rivets to ensure a good seal and profile. OK so I'm over the top even the bolt head slots align!!!

Oh just remembered I brought a new aftermarket cowl to boot rubber seal from the chap in the UK who specilizes in Triumph Special rubber bits (Dave?), not sure if he still trades officially.

The black bracket won't be easy to replicate as it involves a double or U bend, might be worth checking with the likes of Spitfire Spares etc to see if they have the Vitesse part. The rear Gal bracket just need a tank cutter or stepped drill for the big hole.

If needed I can provide dimensions.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Iain T said:

Thanks Peter, looks in good condition. No wonder its expensive if its also used on a Jaguar! I bought a cowl for £21 and bidding on an ali panel. 

Iain 

108 quid is cheap!

check the studs are good, you can make new plastic windows, though ISTR someone made kits with the little brass rivets.

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Measured the Bracket sorry for my Draughtsman skills it's been over 55 years since I was on the boards. Note bracket 1/2 in wide

Thanks Peter, I can make that. I haven't used imperial measurements for 40 years! All car body engineering I did from mid 70's was metric. 

Iain 

It was originally made in imperial so  I thought it appropriate. Here we switched to metric in 74 I think but as so much of our water supply system was imperial I stayed versed in both, even then we were out of kilta with general Eng units using mt head of water as pressure rather than kpa.

12 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Model L469 combined Number Plate & Reversing Light there's one on eBay Item 164955932971

Bought it! 

It looks like the best one for the money. I didn't fancy paying £250 for a new one from Holden and the rest look a bit tatty. 

Your help is most appreciated. 

Iain 

On 06/01/2023 at 07:14, Peter Truman said:

Measured the Bracket

Hi Peter, looking at the drawing the mounting holes in the back flange are at 4" centres but the front bracket is only 3.75" wide. Looking at your photos bolts pass through both brackets which is not possible given the narrower front bracket. Am I missing something? I really should find a Vitesse mk2 and take a peak. I'll contact my local AO. 

Cheers 

Iain 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

thank heavens mine only had the lucas flush fitting

I like the twin reversing lamps they look very tidy. 

I just need to buy a gasket and a club ali panel to complete the set then I'll be ready to drill😬

Iain 

16 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain as per our discussion here's the Front/Rear Flange 1/2in wide top joint

if it help's I can strip the rear lamp assembly down to the Bracket itself for clarity, it's no big trouble.

No it's OK I've translated into metric! Note all dims outside. 

IMG_20230111_140421.jpg

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

If I don't win the Fleabay I'll buy from the shop. Auction ends today although I'm not experienced on bidding. 

Hi Ian  , suggest signing up to Esnipe or similar . They do the bidding in the final 5 secs , you pay a very small fee if you are successful 

Paul 

• Thanks 1