Vitesse mk2 boot trim

Iain T

22 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Soo what happens if multiple bidders use Esnipe on the same auction? 

All Esnipe bids entered at 5 secs to go . Boot plate sold for £48 with 3 bids at 5 secs to go so highest bidder won the auction 

Paul 

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

Boot plate sold for £48 with 3 bids at 5 secs to go so highest bidder won the auction 

To me! 😁

If its perfect a good buy at less than half price from the club shop. Via the AO (I'm now reluctantly on Facebook) I'm going to take a look at a local Vitesse mk2 to finalise position. So once the last parts arrive I only have to make the brackets and then measure 20 times and drill once! 🙏

Iain 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the alternative was alwas known as the pepper pot method Ha !!

No they're lightening holes to compensate for the extra weight! 

Cowl gasket/fixings and lamp arrived today. The lamp looks new, certainly the chromed pressing is 'virginal'. The cowl is stuck in a corner of a Royal Mail warehouse. Despatched 4 days ago and still in transit or on a picket line. The back panel is supposed to arrive next week🤞. I need to take a look as to how to connect the wires. 

16735313286557869723371995083037.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Finally started to install the boot bling. The lamp brackets I made fitted as did the used polished ali trim above the lamp. I connected the wires and number plate light worked but the reversing didn't🤔. Nearly half an hour of checking connections etc and remembered the ignition needs to be on for the reversing light, it doesn't for the other exterior lights! I did have a chuckle at my stupidity..... 

Anyhow the real reason for posting is to ask if anyone knows the thread on the ali back panel studs. The one I bought off ebay didn't come with nuts. It measures 3/16" diameter so could be 3/16 UNC? 

Iain 

Ooh glad the brackets fit phew!

looks a really nice lamp in vgc pity about the nuts missing In the morning I’ll run a thread gauge over mine and see what fits being a Lucas fitment it could be them funny electrical threads

had a laugh at the ignition blonde moment!!

37 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I’ll run a thread gauge over mine and see what fits being a Lucas fitment it could be them funny electrical threads

Thanks Peter but the thread I need is for the 8 studs on the large back panel not the lamp. I have found an selection of new, and old nuts that fit but would like to buy some dome heads. Sorting in laws out tomorrow and I'm drilling Friday. I've used the panel gasket as a template🤞 I now have to buy a Triumph badge for the panel to finish. I'll take a photo when it's completed.

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

7 hours ago, Iain T said:

anyone knows the thread on the ali back panel studs

I don't know. But as a generality, a '3/16th' fastener on a Triumph is nearly always a No.10 UNF (32 tpi). Can't say that's certainly right but it's a very likely first candidate.

• Thanks 1

Back panel is on but requires a bit more tweeking as the boot lid mating surface is not flat but the ali panel is. I don't want to put any strain on the projection weld studs but the trim panel is pretty resistant to curving and I don't want to damage it. The ends need more curving. 

Next decision is do I use the what seems to be paperlike gasket or use some wide 1mm thick single sided foam? 

Back on and looks original. Obviously white isn't the best colour to contrast with the trim panel. Last decision is do I drill the ali panel to fit the numberplate or use adhesive pads. I'm leaning toward using the existing holes in the boot lid and drilling the trim panel. Anyone have a good "Triumph" badge for the panel? 

Peter, the only mod I had to do was slot the 4" pitch fixing holes and used the existing 4.5" pitch holes. 

Thank you all for your help. 

Iain 

IMG_20230326_162545.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I'm sure I'll get used to it, at least it will have a Triumph badge and save me from telling people what it is! 

Iain 

Looks great in any case. I like that 'naked' look of the rear valence, must be my Herald bias.

I have an estate tailgate to drill for the Triumph lettering... 7 individual letters, that's approx 15 holes in good paintwork. Yikes!!

17 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looks great in any case. I like that 'naked' look

I'm a fan of less is more some cars try too hard. I've already taken off the front twin spots and for me it looks much cleaner. I think I'll leave the bumpers unclothed however I might put the GB badge back. By the way Colin welcome back to the Union! Perhaps you'll be able to buy parts more easily? 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

Iain it looks great, the big Triumph badge with the Overdrive badge clipped under it would complete the look.

Re Alloy bumperettes there frequently on ebay BUT the outer anodized finish has always started to fail so you either polish it out or repaint them. There was a manufacturer's advert at the time detailing how they were made

Ad for Vitesse Aluminium Bumpers.jpg

Edited by Peter Truman
attached pics

16 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain it looks great, the big Triumph badge with the Overdrive badge clipped under it would complete the look.

Re Alloy bumperettes there frequently on ebay BUT the outer anodized finish has always started to fail so you either polish it out or repaint them.

You could pick up a resonable set off ebay and get the remaining anodizing stripped off electrically at the platers. Then get them polished to remove all scratches etc and then get them re-anodized. That's what I did. They'll come up like new.

17 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Re Alloy bumperettes there frequently on ebay BUT the outer anodized finish has always started to fail so you either polish it out or repaint them. There was a manufacturer's advert at the time detailing how they were made

Ad for Vitesse Aluminium Bumpers.jpg

The London aluminium company whose factory was in Wolverhampton! 

Very difficult to form radius the only easy way and I use the term loosely may be to press the corners and weld in jigs to straight extrusion. Another way would be to make a set of tools for a tube bending machine. The price may be prohibitive as a set would be several hundreds of pounds.