Vitesse mk2 boot trim

Iain T

I`v already sugested plastic "rawlplugs"?. Cheap as chips from all good DIY stores👍

"starlock" washers are another solution. I have 19mm ones securing the Exhaust fittings on the sprinter (OEM).

Pete

It is a shame that the bumper brightwork is not readily available. Some of it on my car is held with self tappers. Better not take it anywhere then until I have riveted it on. Probably worth a good chunk of the value of my car.

On other items (Motorhome Radiator surrounds and over-riders) I have used self adhesive chrome and dull chrome tape, almost as wide as wallpaper. Rolled out the trapped air too. Cannot remember where I found it. May have been when I was working in some obscure plant.

Hammerite smooth silver can approach dull chrome or silky alloy in appearance too. Applied with one stroke of a paint pad on a cold day. Then chuck the pad before it dissolves. Some stripey trim tape on top could look almost correct.

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

Hammerite smooth silver can approach dull chrome or silky alloy in appearance too. Applied with one stroke of a paint pad on a cold day. Then chuck the pad before it dissolves. Some stripey trim tape on top could look almost correct.

I don't think I'm up for that, I'm leaving it St Tropez style....naked!

Unless anyone has a bumper set they would like to sell?? 

Iain 

3 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I don't think I'm up for that, I'm leaving it St Tropez style....naked!

Unless anyone has a bumper set they would like to sell?? 

Iain 

Ask SpitfireGraveyard on EBay . From memory the last ones he sold went for about £180 . His prices are priced to sell quickly 

Paul 

back in my days of push fits badges and letters   there were two sizes of top hat  plastic plug to suit different badge pins  

you just fit bush into the panel then insert the badge pins with a gentle  push 

then some scrote can still pinch the letters 

Pete

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

then some scrote can still pinch the letters 

Exactly! The push on star washers should arrive tomorrow and it will make it very difficult to remove🤞. This the type of dished washer. 

I'll post a photo when it's installed. 

CPF8520-3888-copy-600x600.jpg

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1

It worked! So my solution is to first push a solid rubber grommet (the type with no hole in the centre) into the two holes in the aluminium trim panel. I then pushed the badge stakes through the grommets. It already felt solid. I then used a larger washer and the 2.5mm push on star washers and it is really solid. Thanks PeteH for the suggestion and everyone else for your help. 

All finished bar the elusive vitesse badge on the cowl and I think looking much better. With the bits I'm selling and sold the conversion wouldn't have cost much at all. 

Now what else can I play with..... 

Iain 

IMG_20230409_104307.jpg

IMG_20230409_104313.jpg

IMG_20230409_110017.jpg

Edited by Iain T
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Moderns retain trim badges etc with 'trim tape', double sided adhesive tape.   Very sticky!    Put it on the back of letters, trim around (!),  remove the secondary backing tape and put in place for extra security.

I'm not sure I'll be able to get the star washers off now! I did put patches of thin rubber to stop any potential rattles between the Triumph and Overdrive badges. The Triumph badge being recessed at the back doesn't really lend itself to double sided tape. I suppose it could just stick around the periphery contact area. Perhaps the letters are better suited but there aren't any on a Mk2 Vitesse. 

Had it's first outing in the new rear end livery. Some of the mystic lost as its no longer that car in Lotus colours but a Triumph! 

Edited by Iain T

32 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Moderns retain trim badges etc with 'trim tape', double sided adhesive tape.   Very sticky!    Put it on the back of letters, trim around (!),  remove the secondary backing tape and put in place for extra security.

John

Maybe I need to do that with the TRIUMPH letters on the bonnet, I would hate it someone stole the 'I' & 'H' 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Some scrote'o' pinched all of my badges. I have never forgiven the Italians and never will.

They will have trouble nickin' those on the boot but I suppose if you're not worried about the adjacent damage they could be removed. Did the mafia cause much damage? 

Iain 

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

I suppose if you're not worried about the adjacent damage they could be removed

It's probably easier to replace stolen badges than repair damaged paint. Still hurts though.

Mafia...yeh probably was. they must have wanted some decent badges on their Fiats and Ferraris.

Ian

• Haha 1

One drawback of using D/S tape is the fact they are quite easy to remove with a thin sharpened scraper. Some scrote has had the Chromed Mercedes Star off my Motorhome. Bloody 40 quid plus VAT from Mercedes!!.

Pete