Seat replacement

micmak

did you know the steering column is collapsible and will adjust in its lenght quite simply to move the column/and wheel further away from the dash to gain more knee room 

there is a slide clamp just below the end of the column tube if you want to move it do read up on some simple but basic setting or too loose is dangerous

too tight will impale the chest not collapse  its a very simple clamp but read up on it first .

in fact a really good heave on the handwheel and the tube will often move the column in its slip joint  and the springy tube clamp on the dash 

always keep a gap between hand wheel and tube cowl or you will be tooting the horn on turns 

Pete

5 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Do you know if they are lower in the base? I am looking for more clearance between my knees and the steering wheel.

AFAIK, there is not a great deal in it. But I`ve only got the 12" wheel?.

Pete

Pete L. Thank you. I will read up on column adjustment👍

Pete H. Thank you too. I find the Vitesse seats surprisingly comfortable so based on what you’ve said I’ll stick with them! I may consider a 14” wheel if further clearance is needed. Pete S.😀

I'm over six foot and don't have any problems with room in my Mk1 2L Vitesse CV with the standard convertible seats and standard steering wheel. As an aside I often drive it wearing size twelve walking boots without problems or discomfort.

Regards

Paul.

On 06/03/2023 at 14:45, Puglet1 said:

Do you know if they are lower in the base? I am looking for more clearance between my knees and the steering wheel.

Puglet,

Are you aware that there are two mounting holes at different heights on the seat pivot brackets. Remounting the seat in the lower holes might give you enough clearance from steering wheel?

1 hour ago, trigolf said:

Puglet,

Are you aware that there are two mounting holes at different heights on the seat pivot brackets. Remounting the seat in the lower holes might give you enough clearance from steering wheel?

The sales brochure for "Britain's most advanced family car", (that's right the 13/60) states" Luxurious bucket seats. Driving seat has 72 positions"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

The sales brochure for "Britain's most advanced family car", (that's right the 13/60) states" Luxurious bucket seats. Driving seat has 72 positions"

Lol yes. Back a bit... back a bit further... really far back... really far back and up slightly... left leg up... left leg up and back slightly... head hitting the roof... head not hitting the roof but leg hitting steering wheel... :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Missing are the positions required when fitting new upholstery. Should have filmed it. More entertaining than some naughty cartoons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

I've always found this statement funny in todays world of multi-adjustable electrical heated seats, 4 height positions at the rear (Courtesy of Rubber Blocks!!), 2 at the front (1/2" AF Spanners needed!) and 12 Positions on the Runners

No doubt when reclining seats where introduced on the Dolomites the term Infinitely adjustable was used by the advertising bods😁  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trigolf said:

Puglet,

Hi trifold, yes, they are set in the lowest position. Thank you. Pete.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally had the chance to get the MX5 seats into the Vitesse.  Really pleased with the look and the feel of them.  They clear the B post nicely, allowing me to slide the seat back to a comfortable position, and they kinda hug you when you sit in them.  Very comfy.  I have not driven the car with them yet, but I expect I will be happy with them.  So far, so good.

IMG_5333.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

Edited by micmak
  • Like 2

👍. I moved the Seat Belt mount back to the floor, I didn`t fancy the position on the seats with the rear mount structure not entirely bolted through the Body, just relying on the Captive nut. But otherwise, I too am happy with the seating position.

Strangely, SWMBO`s old Vitesse 6, I swapped out the seats for Dolmite ones, Curtesy of the eldest son. Some local Scrotes stole and trashed his Dolly, on the ranges at Pirbright. But the seats where charcoal and after a good steam clean curtesy of a clients garage, they proved a good fit. with the bonus of fully recline.

Pete.

7 hours ago, micmak said:

Finally had the chance to get the MX5 seats into the Vitesse.  Really pleased with the look and the feel of them.  They clear the B post nicely, allowing me to slide the seat back to a comfortable position, and they kinda hug you when you sit in them.  Very comfy.  I have not driven the car with them yet, but I expect I will be happy with them.  So far, so good.

IMG_5333.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

Very smart, that’s a great job. Are the seat bases lower than the original ones? I am looking for more clearance between my legs and the steering wheel. I know I can adjust the steering column but am curious about the clearance the seat might give other than more rearward movement. 

18 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

Very smart, that’s a great job. Are the seat bases lower than the original ones? I am looking for more clearance between my legs and the steering wheel. I know I can adjust the steering column but am curious about the clearance the seat might give other than more rearward movement. 

Puglet1, I would say yes.  I have not driven the car yet as I still have other work to do first, but from sitting in the driver’s seat with the door closed, I feel that I am further in towards the middle of the car, therefore more in line with the steering wheel, and I also feel that there is more room between my knees and the steering wheel.  I have to allow for the fact that it might feel different when I drive the car, but so far that is impression I am getting. Also to back up this theory, the seat is slightly touching the carpet underneath if I move it backwards or forwards, but I have not compared these MX5 seats with the MGF seats that I removed, or with the original Vitesse seats that I also have.  It is possible that the MX5 seats are bulkier in the seat base area, and therefore touching the carpet.  I dunno.  But so far, I would say that they are a little lower. 

• Like 1

Colin, I looked for weeks and I found a few that were either not the type I wanted (I wanted separate headrests) or they were damaged or the wrong colour.  Then, out of the blue, I found a set and they are in absolutely pristine condition.  And to make it even sweeter, the guy selling them was able to meet me close to home as he was a delivery guy in a van, so bringing them along in his work day was no problem!   I couldn't believe it.  
So, keep looking.  Sooner or later you will find what you want. The MX5/Miata is the biggest selling sports car in the world, apparently, so there are many being scrapped all the time with good seats. 

2 minutes ago, micmak said:

The MX5/

Unfortunately. They do have a greater atrition rate. Many I see have (at least) panel rot, and My Godson who is an MX Guru and the source of my Seats, Makes a decent living out of refurbishing them for MX club members in the North East. I believe the early one (at least) where not sufficiently protected against the UK`s salted roads and climate.

Colin. When I last spoke to his Mother the boy was working in the mid East somewhere on a power plant job. But if you are interested in MX seats in Tan?. I could try E-Mailing him?.

Pete

• Like 1

On 07/03/2023 at 09:11, 68vitesse said:

As an aside I often drive it wearing size twelve walking boots without problems or discomfort.

You must have better spatial awareness/co-ordination than me. if I'm wearing size 9 walking boots and have to brake unexpectedly, I usually hit the throttle at the same time