Facebook

John Bonnett

Anyone who has read my profile will know that all this social media business is totally alien to me and I avoid it like the plague. However, a friend mentioned that on January 3rd a discussion on my project appeared on Facebook so I did venture into the unknown to have a peek. I was actually quite shocked, not particularly in reading about peoples opinions on my car (we are all different and are entitled to our own views) but how obvious it was that many had never visited, let alone posted on  this forum.

I don't know if it just me but there seems to be something quite seedy and gossipy about the whole thing which reinforced my resolve to leave it all well alone. 

I'm sure others will disagree with me and tell me to open the jar and smell the coffee  :P

• Like 2

I  went there, John, and singed up, to read what our Chairman was posting there.

The TSSC page is just that.  All the threads, in their entirety, listed in one column.

Messy and difficult to pick out what is of interest, unlike here on the Club's own message board.

I posted to ask why people used it, instead of a laid out and organised board.

I got an aggressive answer, "if I was going to be negative, go away".  So I have.

Perhaps you meet a nicer sort of people here,

More tea, Vicar?

John

I  went there, John, and singed up, to read what our Chairman was posting there.

The TSSC page is just that.  All the threads, in their entirety, listed in one column.

Messy and difficult to pick out what is of interest, unlike here on the Club's own message board.

I posted to ask why people used it, instead of a laid out and organised board.

I got an aggressive answer, "if I was going to be negative, go away".  So I have.

Perhaps you meet a nicer sort of people here,

More tea, Vicar?

John

Not for us then eh John?

John

I can only apologise for the abrupt response you received. The FB members get quite protective of the page at times.

Face book is not for everyone, and does seem to require a less formal approach . Most people I know , who dont "Get it "  seem to be Older people or very "Traditional " ( lots of Farmers !) who  seem to resent the need for an internet. Its  More pub Banter than a forum.  You can have a "conversation " which doesnt generally happen on a forum.  To be honest , generally I prefer Facebook, and have made some excellent friends through it. It is also a great way of connecting once more ( albeit virtually ) with people who you have met at events or club meets. My memory for names is terrible, so it also acts as an aide memoir. You can put a name to a face,and then have more to discuss when you next meet.  

For over a year, Facebook provided the only link to the TSSC and was an invaluable tool. 

The Forum is essential, and I had a few heated discussions at club level, when I heard a rumour of its future demise. 

This is in danger of becoming CT vs TSSC . theres room fro everybody.

all the best,

Andy Brooker

• Like 1

It's just the relentless pace of change I'm afraid.

Facebook isn't intended to be a forum in the same way this site is.

It's far more of a 'here and now' format, i.e. 'what's on your mind?, what are you talking about or doing right now?'

Even Facebook is getting quite 'old hat' these days. My teenage daughter and her friends are not interested in it, they've already moved on to newer forms of social media. 

We can ignore it all, but thereby risk a lot of stuff passing us by. But I must admit I struggle to keep up with it all......

• Like 1

Facebook is a different animal to the more traditional forums, but it is a very useful tool - I use it a lot, as i do twitter, less so Instagram and Pinterest - all for different purposes.

Best to choose what works for you and respect the diversity that gives options to people with different communication preferences.  The other thought is that something may not meet your needs today, but things change....... in 6/12/18 months it may be a better bet.

....... Andy

As I've said before, the TSSC has a fully functional message board of its own.  When the most senior Club Officer posts there about what appeared to be serious interclub falling out, with an explanation that made it seem - I hope it was - a failure of negotiation rather than an outbreak of hissy-fits, then I had to find out why.      I still don't know, the Facebook page has serious shortcomings, and I've withdrawn my Facebook registration.

For which I am heartily thankful.  I only ever joined one thread, and even since my mail box has kept going PING, loudly, at every hour of the day and night as a full copy of the thread is downloaded.   I get enough spam thank you, despite the superb spam filter in BT Internet, and spend enough time looking through my mailbox, without being reminded all the time  that "You've got mail!"

No need to apologise, Andy Mishmosh, and respect to diversity, AndyTV8.      I'm old, but I'm Internet literate (although I clearly don't speak Facebook).    I've been at TSSC AGMs and been shocked at the vicious opposition from some to any TSSC representation on the Web, or even a computer in the household.    I keep advocating the Online Magazine idea, inspired  by the beautiful and interesting journals on offer, and been surprised how many are equally opposed to any threat, as they see it, to the yards of old Couriers on their shelves.  The "relentless pace of change", Dave, seems to pass them by, and Facebook does the same for me.

JOhn

Interesting stuff. I have been on facebook for years, but joined so I could access info about my other pastimes (running-meeting times/routes/lifts etc posted) so for up-to-the-minute news/chat it is dead handy. I have posted a couple of times on the tssc page in the last week, but it just seems so messy compared to this for technical stuff. So yes, it seems to serve different purposes.

As to the incessant cat pictures, and what I ate today type posts, please NO!

(as to the club mag, after I gave away 15 years worth to the Hills, I find I flick through, read what interests me and it is later in the recycling box....yep, I am a philistine!)

Personally I think there is a place for both. I value this forum for the opportunity to share detailed technical information, or to have a reasoned debate on a topic. Facebook is handy for quick communications at local level, such as requests for assistance/has anyone got one of these?/we are on the left hand side of the field as you drive in/ bring emergency beer supplies etc.

What is absolutely unacceptable to me on Facebook, and the reason I don't use it more, are pig-ignorant comments, bad manners and foul and abusive language. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if they cannot express it like a gentleman, they should keep it to themselves.

As to those who are too free with their opinions about other people's cars, fine, but before you get too critical, at least go and build one yourself, then people will take your views more seriously. I have a great bumper sticker given to me by a lovely guy with a Lincoln Continental clap-door Continental low-rider at our local cruise. It says "Before you point out all the faults on my car, where is yours?" I think that nails it.

Regards

Steve C

• Like 3

"I've been at TSSC AGMs and been shocked at the vicious opposition from some to any TSSC representation on the Web, or even a computer in the household". JOhn

Now I’m really worried about the future of this club! Internet is (in my opinion) not a “voluntary activity“ for car clubs, it is definitely a requisite for long term survival, one of the most critical success factor for any car club. For me internet and all sorts of social media are an opportunity for the club, not a problem! I think it is sad that CoM are active so seldom here on the forum.

I do not like FB at all (passive user) for the same reasons that John et al has already mentioned, but I’m glad that people like Andy and Chris are active there and support the club in that forum. And I love my yard of old Couriers on my shelves, and I also think it would be great if someone could make the Online Magazine happen that John has supported for so long.

This is an interesting thread, it’s good that we have a discussion it will bring the club forward in the end. Each social media has it’s cons and pros, let’s focus on the opportunities they give for the club, not the problems.

• Like 1

We have Register Secretaries for each car model, we have Area Organisers for different parts of the country (UK) etc we even have a Public Relation Officer. Maybe the "Relentless Pace of Change” requires that we appoint a FB Organiser, Twitter Organiser etc and one “Social Media Officer” to coordinate everything? Social media could even be mentioned (by the officer) with a few words in the Courier each month. I have not heard about any other car club doing that (?) so lets be the first and make this club a bench mark for others to follow!  :D 

Hi

The Club has been "Embracing social media' for quite a while now, they all are quite different & all necessary to represent and present the Club in this way in modern times.

It is the TSSC Facebook GROUP that you are referring to above & yes groups are a bit of a free for all with information getting an instant answer & disappearing amongst so many other posts just as instantly.

We also have a Facebook Page - this is very different & has a posting from 'The Club' every day.

Many active areas also have Facebook Groups helping to keep everybody informed & reminded of events coming up areas like, Dewent Valley, Gloucester, Manchester, Essex, Scotland. Etc etc

We have two Twitter Accounts, is the Official TSSC Feed which has a posting on it every day with other retweets as and when. This is also fed on to the home page of the TSSC website, so you can see the daily posting if you wish without going on to Twitter. The other Twitter account is for TriumFest.

We are on Instagram with a daily post.

We have a Pintrest Board with plenty of "pins" on it creating interest & activity.

In April 2015 I wrote an article which was published in the Courier titled TSSC Social Media explaining where we were to date. Also including an update on the Forum.

There will be other things in the pipeline as and when we feel it is right for the Club to be on that platform.

A lot of hard work is going into promoting the TSSC in these areas.

Jane Rowley

• Like 3

Thanks for the progressive outlook, Jane. All sounds very positive and, most importantly, controlled!

As many have said, the different social media seem to have different uses - very much horses for courses. I wouldn't ask about my overdrive on Twitter and expect to get a useful answer in 140 characters! However, I'll happily post pictures of my car or Triumphs at car shows generally via Facebook - on both my own feed and posted to the TSSC group. Forums (or Fora for the pedants) are great for technical stuff as they become excellent archives.

The important thing is for the Club to be accessible to people through whichever route suits them.

Gully

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello

I notice the last post on this was back in 2016 and I wonder if there's any more opinions on how FB is being used  2 years later?

Personally, I really a like the Forum approach and have found the replies really invaluable in keeping my Vitesse going. I'm also constantly amazed by the patience and generosity of  the more experienced owners in sharing their knowledge with the less experienced such as myself. Thank you!

However, I also look at the FB feeds and find this really great as well, but it does seem that there's a lot of knowledge being split between the two platforms and I just wonder if there's a relatively simple way of harnessing this? I'm afraid that don't have an answer other than maybe try and split the FB feed into  three areas - one which just posts pictures/videos, another for parts/cars for sale and third for technical questions so there could be some central way of managing the info? It might need a moderator to organise the posts into the relative sections.

What do others think?

Robin

The lousy aspect of Fb is the layout of the threads, that allows them to diverge and split into sub-threads, and loses them.  It's nigh impossible to find a thread again, once you aren't being 'notified' of new replies.

On a message board, threads are linear, unless purposely split by mods or by copying, and the Forum index and search facilities allow you find a thread again. Unless you're on the new CT, of which, 'nuff said!

John

Hi John

That's really my point. The great thing about the Forum is that it's searchable database that keeps growing. FB is instant but a lot of the knowledge that' s posted becomes lost which is a real shame.

Robin

There's a lot of borrocks too, and the opportunity to discuss any problem and establish the correct situation is limited by the Fb format.

A Message board is far more like a conversation, and somehow less likely to cause friction.

John

I too like forums for this type of activity - i.e. in essence question and answers - as you can find them easily!

Facebook and the like are instant gratification and are pretty much useless at technical issues - apart from in the moment. As has already been said, trying to find something in the past is nigh on impossible!

I agree. Facebook has its place and can be very useful but not for technical questions etc. I often read old threads on here and keep an eye on new ones that are frankly well out of my tech league but very interesting. Trying to do this on Facebook would bombard me with notifications and be unmanageable. 

:)   Just revisited what I wrote 2 years ago, and to be honest I’d still stick by it - use the various media streams and communication methods that suit your own needs.

The one thing which has changed is that Facebook does now support searches within a group (it didn’t 2 years ago) so you do now stand a chance of finding snippets of info from past conversations. At least that particular gripe has been addressed.

....... Andy