Seized Brake Cylinder - Vitesse

Paul H

I changed rear brake cylinders about 5 years ago just stripped down to replace the rubbers as moving across to Silicone . Good job I did this as one cylinder was seized solid 

IMG_5569.thumb.jpeg.2b31b3aa2fb602821b186352d6a3df6c.jpeg

They were new when fitted . The brand was TB3 . I’ll clean out and see if the surface is corroded . Any suggestions as to a reliable replacement ? What causes the corrosion , the other 1 again new was fine 

Paul 

IMG_5567.jpeg

Traditional brake fluid absorbs water and should be changed every 2 or 3 years, any steel in the system and you're gonna eventually get rust. I'm guessing you've left it a little too long! :) However, Silicone doesn't absorb water so you're doing the right thing.  Silicone shouldn't be used on ABS modern system as it can boil, but we ain't got  ABS so that's OK.

There are cheap test devices on Ebay for those sticking to DOT3/4 and 5.1 

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Sadly some of the new ones are rubbish, I had 2 fail within months on my cars dumping fluid into the drums.

S

My thoughts Steve , mine were repros so replacing with NOS Girling 

Paul 

57 minutes ago, Paul H said:

The corrosion was throughout and now scrap . This is the state of the cylinder

IMG_5570.thumb.jpeg.af879a2da5edee15e6c51eb68a7561e7.jpeg

Yes thats on the outside of the seal so from the road and not down to lack of fluid changes😅 As Pete says a coating of red grease inside the dust boot and bore will help....

40 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

they all need a good dose of brake grease on the road side under the boot to keep moisture away from the "open " end of the cylinders 

Pete

Is the red rubber grease ok with silicone 

Paul 

I was always under the impression that wheel cylinder failure and seizure was a sequence that began with a failing  seal leaking tiny bit of fluid.The  fluid  being hygroscopic and exposed to air, absorbed water making it corrosive.That  is why the corrosion is mainly on the ‘wrong side’  of the seal.Resulting roughness of the bore  perhaps promoting more leakage,  and more corrosion  progressing  to complete seizure of the outer parts  of the piston/ cylinder.

A couple of master cylinders that I've had sleeved weren't S/S sleeved but used a chromed brass sleeve there've been there 20 years and no problems.

Sleeving over here has got very expensive used to be around the $100 mark ie cost effective but recent quotes were $240 to $260, I brought a new County brake master for a Mk3 Spit for around $150 mark! 

Re rear brake slaves I got a pair of NOS Girling from Mick D for the same Spit last year, re brakes I don't compromise. esp with a single pipe system

Edited by Peter Truman

As a follow on the pistons are different on the Girling and TB3 so Girling rubbers won’t fit . The pics below show the end rubbers and the Girling seems more substantial which supports the theory my issues could have been rubber seepage . Whilst the piston had corrosion there was corrosion in all of the piston cylinder . Just bought 2 Girling NOS Brake Cylinders for £15 each 

IMG_5572.thumb.jpeg.31e0aeb7df6450467d42ca9b4102433b.jpeg

IMG_5573.thumb.jpeg.6ded66a1b412484d7df6db4cdacd26c8.jpeg
Paul