Vitesse mk2 conversion to electric fan or not

Paul H

I fear going into traffic jams with my mk 2 Vitesse as the mechanical temp gauge will climb to over 100 and at times up to 115 especially on a hot day and having driven for a few hrs . I have the standard fan fitted . I’ve flushed the engine and have a new radiator, heater matrix and heater diverter mechanical switch .  All hoses are new with a recent conversion to silicone . Once on the move the guage quickly drops back to 85 to 90 range. Would having an electric fan improve cooling in traffic jams ? 
Paul 

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Once on the move the guage quickly drops back to 85 to 90 range. Would having an electric fan improve cooling in traffic jams
Paul 

Yes, the electric fan will give you airflow through the rad even with a stationary car (assuming you mount it nice and close to the rad to ensure it the airflow goes where you want it!)

...... Andy

Just now, AndyTV8 said:

Yes, the electric fan will give you airflow through the rad even with a stationary car (assuming you mount it nice and close to the rad to ensure it the airflow goes where you want it!)

...... Andy

Thanks Andy . Any advice on fan spec ? 
Paul 

3 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Thanks Andy . Any advice on fan spec ? 
Paul 

i'm not sure for the 6-cylinder rad i'm afraid - i have an 11" SPAL fan fitted to my TR4, with the engine-mounted fan extension removed there is enough room for a 'puller' fan mounted on the engine side of the rad on the rad itself (i have tabs on the rad for the mounting).

I'm not sure on the favoured mounting of the Vitesse but i'm sure others will have some wise ideas.

...... Andy

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

Would having an electric fan improve cooling in traffic jams ? 

only if its running   an   engine fan goes all the time keeping a air flow under the bonnet  , most electric remain off till the control fires it into life 

have you got the plastic or metal fan ???

dont worry about temp variances its quite normal 

and do check its not voltage changing the readings 

Pete

The fan is a yellow plastic 6 fin . The temp rises to 90, the thermostat opens and the temp drops to 80 and cycle starts again . My gauge is mechanical so no electrics that’s why I see the range . I can go 200 plus miles in a session and everything is ok, until I hit a traffic jam 

Paul 

Ive got a Spal 305mm fan (the higher powered version) on my mk1 vitesse and Im very pleased with it. I removed the fan AND its boss from the end of the crank and it fits nicely. You might even get away with the thinner lower powered model or perhaps go up to the next size of 325mm. After trying various controls Im now on purely manual with a fused relay and switch supplied from the radio position of the ignition switch so I can run it for 30 seconds after engine stop without the risk of forgetting it👍

Same as Johny I fitted the 12" High powered Spal which reduces the temperature very quickly. I had to get EP Services to make me a shallow water pump as the fan was impossible to fit without this modification. I must have the short wheelbase chassis version or a long engine 😂😂😂 I fitted Davies Craig controller and sensor in the top hose. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

as  electric gauges (bi metal types ) damp the reading its probably you instant reading capillary gauge thats throwing you a wobbler 

by being a bit over ractive ???   just an idea 

or just  avoid traffic jams  Ha !!

Yes Pete . Instant read shows extremes and hence worry factor kicks in . I’ve got a spare temp gauge . Do I need a different sender and cable to connect image.thumb.jpg.115654062c28ba6f3e9ee17a8a67e4af.jpg

Paul 

sender pic 

IMG_0038.thumb.jpeg.1bac978e28914c5e6d076fe14ea120df.jpeg

Edited by Paul H

1 hour ago, johny said:

Strange as the fan tapers thinner by the water pump so mine was tightest between the crank end and fan motor. Oh but mine is just clamped directly to the rad matrix...

I have a supposed hi something or other Bastuck rad but doesn't seem thicker than norm. My fan is attached to the rad and a 10" fitted OK but didn't cool enough and the 12" had no chance of fitting but works with the modified water pump. I used the Spal fitting kit. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

Paul i would leave alone and just not worry    the gauge is an indication of whats going on dont get carried away with 

the varying readings its not an exact science  its a Triumph 

remember they introduced thermo bi metal gauges to stabilise the displayed readings 

your capilliary is always going to be a 'worry gauge'    just ignore it until it goes right into the red 

sleep easy

enjoy the drive 

if you go to change to electric you need (guess you have voltage stabiliser for your fuel) and a   GTR108 sender and a 82C thermostat to get nice mid scale needle readings 

thats assuming the gauge is a Thermo/bimetal gauge , ...............  if its moving iron (ie coils and waggy needle you need 121997 sender 

i would have a strong tea and not worry anymore 

Pete

Shock Horror, I disagree with Pete! 

Traffic now is far heavier than in the sixties and I remember the kerbs with boiled up cars. To make our cars fit for today's roads a powerful fan is almost essential. I went to Brands Hatch and parked next to a 406 Bristol who's owner said he dreads traffic jams even though he had a reconditioned engine.

Iain 

The Vitesse mech fan is fitted direct to the crankshaft so turns at engine speed say 800rpm at idle so it will get hot in traffic jams I’ve never fitted an electric fan as it all seems to tight  a fit so when it’s over 35C here I sit in the traffic with foot on throttle idling over 1500rpm near 2000 sometimes to cool the beast down or stop it boiling. I know it feels counter intuitive to increase engine speed ie mote heat but it works! Elect fans spin around 3000rpm so must work in cooling when stationary. I must admit I’ve thought about fitting TR4 or Spitfire Le Mans bonnet side wing air vent holes to get rid of the heat just can’t go that far though.

Iain if I do go elect fan I’ll go electric water pump too the issue is where to fit it?  the Vitesse engine bay isn’t endowed with spare space.

4 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

if I do go elect fan I’ll go electric water pump too the issue is where to fit it?  the Vitesse engine bay isn’t endowed with spare space.

The "plumbing" too would be an "interesting" technical exercise?. How to arrange location of a Thermostat for one?.

Pete

37 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

I’ll go electric water pump too

Peter, I did look at the electric pump option but kept with the original impeller but ensured I had a close tolerance blade to engine block. I measured the gap when I took it off and there was a larger than original spec gap. It's the same with air fan shrouds the smaller the gap the more effective.

Iain 

Fitted the largest possible electric fan to my Mk1 2L Vitesse, but had to remove bits of the motor support to miss the water pump, with an adjustable revotec controller in the bottom hose. Engine fan removed, you can't have both, and welded fixings for the electric fan to the steel radiator sides as I didn't trust the through radiator fixings.

Regards

Paul.

In the early 70's working for Water Board in the NE of England I brought and installed some in line pumps which just looked like a bit of oversized straight piping, the advantage was they could be buried ie no pits or pump house needed just a small control cubical. They were Swiss made Sulzer from memory.

Pity there's no similar small 12v unit for cars, easy installation.

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Iain if I do go elect fan I’ll go electric water pump too the issue is where to fit it?  the Vitesse engine bay isn’t endowed with spare space.

Im not sure the standard water pump flow rate is a problem as the TR6 with 150bhp used the same thing albeit with a bigger radiator. However the TR fan went through various design changes especially for the US market....

Edited by johny