3 mystery GT6's: White DHP 7L, Red XEL 459K & Blue PKE 775G

Mike Duffy

After passing my test aged 17, I bought my first car, a yellow GT6 MkII PKE 775G, which someone has now painted blue. It had overly wide tyres and a garish front spoiler with the wonderful seller delivering it, between his law exams with his dad following in a Rolls! I then bought my 2nd car, a red GT6 Mk III XEL 459K, which was last MOT’d in 2018. My 3rd car was the best of all, a white GT6 Mk 111 bought from the original owner in Virginia Water, who was unbelievably kind to me and gave me a BL Workshop Manual as a gift, which I still have to this day. The cars were advertised in the Thames Valley Trader in the early 80's and cost less than £1,000 each. 

Is there a Triumph enthusiast out there with one of these cars, who fancies showing it to me? 

IMG_E3831[1].JPG

IMG_E3833[1].JPG

IMG_E3835[1].JPG

Edited by Mike Duffy
Pictures added

Mick, 

DVLA says

DHP7L untaxed since 1988 :(

XEL459K  No MOT since 2018, probably declared MOT exempt as it's taxed until July 2024! Your picture shows colour is Magenta, but DVLA says red,  maybe DVLA mistake (quite common) or resprayed (Magenta is a bit of a Marmite colour!) :)

PKE775G as you know blue, but untaxed since 1983 :(

So two almost certainly dead and one soldiering on.

Doug 

On 14/09/2023 at 18:05, Mike Duffy said:

Hello Graham, Doug,

The spoiler did absolutely nothing except make the driver feel good. Great research on your part and Classic & Sportscar are going to have a look for me next month, so I am quietly confident.

I have heard from some that the optional front spoiler on the 1500 was actually more to scoop air up under the hood/bonnet to improve cooling. A guy in the local club did some tests and claimed it brought temps down by almost 10°C.

According to the "Guide to Originality" it was to proved "high speed stability" but I don#t remember hearing too many complain about that on a Spitfire...

4 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

According to the "Guide to Originality" it was to proved "high speed stability" but I don#t remember hearing too many complain about that on a Spitfire...

It was, and it does - both based on my experience of adding one to my MkIV and my aerospace degree.

In profile a Spitfire (or most cars for that matter) is an aerofoil, as the air hitting the front of the car has to either go over, around, or under the car.  Going either side is much the same distance as cars are generally symetrical but over is a longer distance than under, generating lift.  That happens at almost any speed but don't generate significant amounts of lift until you're over 60MPH and by 70MPH is enough to be lifting the front of the car and making the steering noticably lighter.  Slap the spoiler on and you basically mess up the airflow under the car, making it more tubulent so it takes longer to pass under and so less of a differential to the air going over the top, and so you generate less lift.  From the aerodynamic PoV it's a very ugly, inefficient way of doing it, but it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mjit said:

Slap the spoiler on and you basically mess up the airflow under the car, making it more tubulent so it takes longer to pass under and so less of a differential to the air going over the top, and so you generate less lift.  From the aerodynamic PoV it's a very ugly, inefficient way of doing it, but it works.

Could do with one on the Vitesse because I can definitely feel the steering getting lighter above 70mph and thats with 183kg of cast iron lump up front😲

I was offered the chin spoiler by the previous owner of my GT6, but turned it down as it wasn't a standard fitment in 1970/71 and I couldn't see myself fitting it. However, I've often wondered (usually when I'm doing 70mph!) if I should have said 'yes', as the front is noticeably lighter at higher speeds.

Gully

18 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Paul next time you are round here  lets run her over the tracking gear 

going light is more down to the lift from the lack of down force upsetting the static toe in 

back to checking with 150 lb on each seat ( or just we use rent a crowd  

i could take the kit to the Pub on monday  ????

Pete

Hi Pete,

Unless my two trusty pieces of timber (loose copies of your patented design!) are out of calibration, it's all set to the book. It's not skittish, just lighter, and no general directional stability issues. Given the time of year, I suspect we'd be in the dark in the car park on Monday, but worth a 2nd pair of eyes next time I'm over with you in the daylight!

Many thanks,

Paul

Yep, even my Spitfire never went out-of-control light on the steering, just enough to be...disconcerting - especially on a blustery day and overtaking lorries.  With spoiler fitted the car just remains that little more confidence inspiringly 'planted'.

• Like 1

I will be putting one on mine... mostly because I actually like the looks of it but also as it should scoop more air into the engine bay....

Also thinking front fog/daytime running lights might look better nestled in there...Jury is still out on that though.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all the people who messaged but I've still not heard about any of my 3 GT6's. 

If you look in this month's Classic & Sports Car (December 2023 on page 32) you'll see a feature titled "Triumph Triple" and their Editor, Alastair Clements has gone out of his way to drum up some further interest. I'll keep you posted. 

• Like 1