Trolley jack recommendations

Iain T

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Without a good excuse, that's "going equipped".

But yes, security isn't prevention, it's deterrence.  And if they're determined, they'll get in.   A neighbour's daughter visits in a Rolls Cullinan, must be the biggest SUV on Earth.  It was broken into at night, no alarm sounded on such a costly motor, because the yoofs used a decoder that neutralises them.   According to the Police, such devices are in sale on Amazon!

John

A vote for OLD Triumphs?😀 that nobody wants to steal unless Konkers?

Roger

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

because the yoofs used a decoder that neutralises them. 

It`s a growing issue with "keyless" moderns I am informed? Similar issue surrounding certain Ford Transit based Motorhomes, being "nicked", as well as works/delivery vans etc; a while back. The door keys where easy to bypass but the imobiliser needed to be accessed via the OBDI port. One of the "better" solutions I heard of, was the moving of the OBDI port to another location. And fitting a dummy OBDI, wired to the battery via a Very high capacity Capacitator. Theory being that whatever was attached to the end would instantly fry.

Sadly, As a reflection of modern society to-day. Our home is monitored 24/7/365 by CCTV and an alarm/security system the MOD would be proud of. But then the designer/installer used to work for them. (If I divulged more I`d have to kill you🤣🤣)

Somthing else that arose recently?. The understanding being that Mr Musk`s Tesla`s can be remotely monitored and the performance parameters and other control elements can actually be altered in real time by Tesla almost on a whim?. (Is that 1984? but just 40 years too late?)

Pete

Edited by PeteH

For cars going AWOL the old thus non-desirable isn't going to work as old = desirable, especially for the ragtops. I've had mine for two weeks and apparently it would have been nicked over a dozen times, often by my neighbours. 😟 Good thing they haven't seen my toolkit but there again it is imperial, I would love to see them rounding off their nuts.

Slight thread drift, but I was watching some crime prevention prog recently. It was all about keyless car theft - particularly 'high end' motors - Range Rovers etc. The problem is now so endemic that the 'security consultant' recommended using a trad Krooklock device, to deter the thieving gits, as it slows down the' job'. 

So, you've got an £80k car,with all the electronic bell and whistles and you protect it with a £20 Krooklock. It's called progress..🤔🤪

I watched a documentary regarding car theft and keyless doors are a thief's dream. However the professional thief if he wants your modern car can drive it away in under 3 minutes even with other mechanical anti theft systems.

With a bit of ingenuity we can make our analogue cars much harder to steal than a modern computer controlled boxes.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

On 28/09/2024 at 14:55, Iain T said:

I watched a documentary regarding car theft and keyless doors are a thief's dream. However the professional thief if he wants your modern car can drive it away in under 3 minutes even with other mechanical anti theft systems.

With a bit of ingenuity we can make our analogue cars much harder to steal than a modern computer controlled boxes.

Iain

Well particularly in the US the simple fact of having a manual transmission/gearbox makes them "undrivable"... 😄

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2024 at 06:47, PeteH said:

Somthing else that arose recently?. The understanding being that Mr Musk`s Tesla`s can be remotely monitored and the performance parameters and other control elements can actually be altered in real time by Tesla almost on a whim?. (Is that 1984? but just 40 years too late?)

There's another feature of Tesla's that's come to light over the weekend.  Was just on a work call with some of our Florida based colleagues and apparently when a hurricane sweeps up the coast sending a salt water storm surge inland the common response from Tesla cars is...to set their Lithium batteries alight and burn down the bits of your house that the flood didn't damage.  One of them said a couple of houses in their neighbourhood went that way.

On 30/09/2024 at 17:11, Mjit said:

There's another feature of Tesla's that's come to light over the weekend.  Was just on a work call with some of our Florida based colleagues and apparently when a hurricane sweeps up the coast sending a salt water storm surge inland the common response from Tesla cars is...to set their Lithium batteries alight and burn down the bits of your house that the flood didn't damage.  One of them said a couple of houses in their neighbourhood went that way.

Unless I see verifiable proof I would not believe that. Almost every "EVs burned XYZ down" stories turn out to be false. Most often it is a dino-juice engine that went poof.

So unless you can show me actual data I will add this to the 30 story pile of FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) about EVs....

Posted (edited)

Reality check this topic has had 3700 views....!

Its a toss up between the Halfords 2t ali jack at £160 which goes up to 470mm and the Clarke 1.5t at £125 which raises to 370mm.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

Mildly related:

Where by not sure if they explain why they didn't put the pins in the ramps with the jacks to help stabilize... I was actually thinking of getting them to get the extra clearance.

I doubt a Spitfire weighs half as much as a Ford F150...

If I need to get the whole car off the ground I've used the plastic ramps one end and axle stands the other. Even though our cars are light I wouldn't be happy to get underneath a car that only relied on an unpinned hydraulic ram.

Iain

• Like 1

Plastic ramps?  I used to have a pair of 'caravan chocks', used to level those traffic-jams-on-wheels on uneven ground, to stop their tea slopping into the saucer.

These were almost solid plastic, not very high but useful for getting a trolley jack under the front of my lowered car.    A plastic ramp high enough to crawl under? No thanks! Axle stands all round!

John

I had a set of CJ auto  full length 4 wheel  with removable bridge and long  run up ramps but he overhang of the 2000 made fitting the run ups difficult 

sold them and got a pair of jackable ramps for just two wheels   and so far never used them

Pete

5 hours ago, DVD3500 said:

Unless I see verifiable proof I would not believe that. Almost every "EVs burned XYZ down" stories turn out to be false. Most often it is a dino-juice engine that went poof.

So unless you can show me actual data I will add this to the 30 story pile of FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) about EVs....

We're specifically talking about salt water flooding here and getting an IC engine to catch fire when it's submerged under water is quite a trick.  Salt water is quite a good conductor of electricity though and Lithium will quite happly 'burn' even when submerged, so get the whole battery pack submerged in salt water and things can get interesting.

And not just Tesla's of course, all electric vehicles pose a risk - and the majority of "submerged EV fires" are actually golf carts.

Halfords have an extra 10% off so I bought the 2t ali jack for £144. At 19kg it's 5kg heavier the 1.5t Clarke but I'm still hankering for an Austin 4 litre R or a vintage Vauxhall so I'll need the extra capacity.

Iain

On 28/09/2024 at 06:47, PeteH said:

Pete

Local Plod round here have body-worn cameras that they turn on to record incidents as evidence. They are NOT recording 24/7 so rest easy, Peelers, you are not being constantly monitored.

UNTIL, of course, concerns were raised that they were only turning the cameras on to record things once they were getting out of hand and needed evidence and so the gradual build-up to any situation was not being recorded, so the Powers-that-be have informed them that if they need it, an additional 30 seconds of PREVIOUS footage can be applied for. So: how can you get footage that's recorded BEFORE the bodyworn camera is switched on? By having it already recording. Someone isn't coming clean here about monitoring.

Same as your mobile phone listening to everything you say. It does.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2024 at 15:48, Mjit said:

We're specifically talking about salt water flooding here and getting an IC engine to catch fire when it's submerged under water is quite a trick.  Salt water is quite a good conductor of electricity though and Lithium will quite happly 'burn' even when submerged, so get the whole battery pack submerged in salt water and things can get interesting.

And not just Tesla's of course, all electric vehicles pose a risk - and the majority of "submerged EV fires" are actually golf carts.

It looks to me on that video that the car was connected to a charger at the time (it was lit green). That is a big no no for all kind of reasons. Still, one out of 100,000 is not a huge amount.
So a risk yes, I never said it can't happen. Heck, I could become pregnant. It is possible (belly is big enough) but not very likely. I could be at a higher risk of getting hit by lightning because I am bald.
If you never take a flight you can't die in a plane crash etc etc etc..

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries just short out and don't burn so you really can't make sweeping statements about EVs. I noticed that the cars that did burn were almost all Model 3s.
There are lots of factors involved.

On 02/10/2024 at 12:16, JohnD said:

Plastic ramps?  I used to have a pair of 'caravan chocks', used to level those traffic-jams-on-wheels on uneven ground, to stop their tea slopping into the saucer.

These were almost solid plastic, not very high but useful for getting a trolley jack under the front of my lowered car.    A plastic ramp high enough to crawl under? No thanks! Axle stands all round!

John

Couldn`t agree more!

I never trust hydraulic jacks... their only purpose is to get the car up in the air. Keeping it there is the job of axle stands!

• Like 1