Tappets and pinking

dougbgt6

My tappets have been getting noisier and lately I’ve had pinking under moderate acceleration. Didn’t really connect the two. Doh!   :wacko:

Decided to tackle the tappets. Sure enough all were set too wide but, only 1 to 2 thou out. Didn’t expect much difference however, started the engine and noise reduced! Took the car for a run to warm up prior to adjusting timing to fix pinking. But, NO PINKING! Not even in too high a gear foot to the floor. I’m surprised such a small adjustment has made such a big difference.

It’s 3 years since the last time I adjusted my tappets, how often do others do them? What does the increased gap tell me? General mechanical wear and/or valve seat recession?

Doug (Mr Paranoid)

3 years since ye adjusted yer tappets,

good lord, just cant grasp wot ive read, !!!

I check  mine every 2 month or so,  teks nee time at all.

Dooo this, as paranoid aboot cams / lifters wearing oot

Roller rockers are v v quiet, so need to see if gaps inreasing

gaps increasing, then I got probs,!!!

M

Doug gaps widening is wear in general

gaps closing will be looking at seat recession

Tight gaps cause lumpy idles wide gaps just make a clatter

cant see a few thou has any big effect on pinking or not

its more likely the hot weather has reduced the combustion and lost the pinking

take it out in the damp humid and it might just return

just some thoughts

pete

its taken 3 weeks to get insurance approval for repairing the 2000 and still not in place

Hmmmm!!!

Some nurk reversed into my modern in the doctor's surgery car park. He got out, took a look, got back in his car and drove off! Unlucky for him another parker snapped him on his mobile and gave me his reg plate number. Told the insurance, they said "We can collect it for repair tomorrow but you'll have to report it to the police as driving off without swapping details is an offence"

Went down the cop shop, had to produce ALL my documents.

"Can't you look this up on the inter web?"

"No, we have to see the originals."

"Why"

"To be sure it's not an insurance scam"  

Went home for my MOT. Returned to cop shop. They filled in a 3 page form with carbon copies.

"So that's it?"

"No. You'll have to wait 7 to 10 days, phone us up and get the incident number which you then give to your insurance, THEN you can get your car repaired."

"Why do I have to wait?"

"We may need to inspect the car"

"It's outside now"

"Yes but we don't know if we need to inspect it yet"

"Why does it take so long?"

"It's a paper system and your form has to be assessed."

Got a letter from them this week, the other driver will not be prosecuted but has been given a warning. Naughty boy!

I read recently what technology Thames Valley Police have is running Windows XP. Fills you full of confidence, don't it?

time for a new topic  ha !   -------------  the bumper party

naughty boy probable has less of a warning than you would have got if you had not complied with the snail system

you buzz off in a huff and they have you for wasting time ...cant win ,  makes you think being in the wrong gets the best treatment  Hmmm  Grrrr!!

many companies use old systems as the are  simple ,uncluttered and dont go wrong,or have a mind of their own .

ask  Kevin our moderator, they used win 95 ???  for missile launches , win10 with the where the F---k has that gone wont be much use in a panic . ( well something like that)

Pete

You drive a classic car, nothing wrong with windows xp a classic operating system with the bugs ironed out.

Are the insurers on the club approved list?.

About five months to get the bonnet repaired on my Vitesse, no fault claim, I think I could have made a better job apart from the paint finish. They fitted one peaked and one flat sidelight as only one was broken and suggested I pay half the cost of the headlights as they could only buy a pair.

We had words.

Regards

Paul

Classic car don't have air bags or crash support but we take the risk because we love the cars. Do we love XP? Well no, it's just an operating system that Microsoft stopped supporting in 2014. There are no more security updates, making it vulnerable to dozens of new malicious software attacks . Any organisation that has not migrated to a supported operating system is extremely foolish. 

Back to tappets - one of those jobs I've never been comfortable doing myself. Not sure why - probably a confidence thing, but even as an 18 year old student with little money it was a job I always paid someone to do...

Doug - if it's any consolation, my tappets need doing after 3 years too! Booked in for mid Sep (along with the MoT).

Gully

Gully just bring it round to No 12 one day and I will run a tutorial

dont pay to do this easy job

Doug for the mileages most of us do timemand distance is pretty irrelevant, but 3 yrs is pushing the boat out a bit far

and you wont hear tight ones

as youre both on 6 pots a rule of 13 will work 1 down do 12 etc or I prefer

do by firing order with opposites rockers in ballance / rocking set both inl and exh of the opposing cyl

much quicker and only turn engine once

pete

• Like 1

let me know when the tutorial is Pete I may com down and join it!

I did mine in the spring but I'm not confident I did it correctly as they all seemed fine so no adjustment but I still get some noise from them ( not major)

I might be being ott expecting the impossible ha

Aidan

youve got all the time in the world, 

13 for dummies  ( no not really)  just its easier to waffle about

if the new re-homed  cat didnt keep getting me up early i could leave all this till the coffee had brewed

5am is getting a bit repetitive 

then i want get to slumber before Emerdale ...there's no hope 

I will chat to Paul  (gully) and decide on a date we can all have a twiddle and a cuppa in the sunshine 

or you all come to Duxford and we do it there   september 18th  starts 10am 

theres a nice trolley jack in the raffle  ( new one ) 

Pete

youve got all the time in the world, 

13 for dummies  ( no not really)  just its easier to waffle about

if the new re-homed  cat didnt keep getting me up early i could leave all this till the coffee had brewed

5am is getting a bit repetitive 

then i want get to slumber before Emerdale ...there's no hope 

I will chat to Paul  (gully) and decide on a date we can all have a twiddle and a cuppa in the sunshine 

or you all come to Duxford and we do it there   september 18th  starts 10am 

theres a nice trolley jack in the raffle  ( new one ) 

Pete

Where can I find more info about the event at Duxford on 18th September ?

Paul 

its on the club website main home page and heres a copy of our advert  

its in events for september  and in an many places as i can find   like its on here under events 

full museum access and tea and buns for peanuts 

if in a modern present this  advert to our club kiosks , if in classic your fine

its £13 ea adult 

instead of  the normal £18   

Duxford Ad 2016 pdf reduced.pdf

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

let me know when the tutorial is Pete I may com down and join it!

I did mine in the spring but I'm not confident I did it correctly as they all seemed fine so no adjustment but I still get some noise from them ( not major)

I might be being ott expecting the impossible ha

Aidan

Hi Pete

I was just interested to know I'd this ever happened or not

Aidan