Stainless steel phoenix manifold

Barry

Hi Barry, I recently started a thread on here about a fractured weld on my down pipe, I'm thinking about a new exhaust. I was advised about the tightness of fit of a stainless manifold. Nobody said don't do it, but...........

Got a stainless system for a MK1 2L Vitesse, to fit the original manifold, with a load of bits from a failed restoration. The vertical part of the front pipe is to short so tight fit on bell housing and when you tighten the connection to the manifold it puts it under tension. The centre section is to short so rear box, which has a well known makers name pressed in it, does not fit the mounting points.

They show no signs of being altered, have a new old stock mild steal system fitted which went on without problems.

Just another example of crap parts?.

Regards

Paul

post-14-0-80359800-1496735815_thumb.jpgbelieve ours was a pheonix  on the Vit6 certainly can be tight between chassis , block and steering column

the worst problem was the continua leaking and associated noise from the everso leaky collector 3-1 slip joints

there are supposed to be a slip fit to allow for the irregugular expansion of the primaries,

copied a idea from the CT forum which welded two nuts on the slip , add a short slot and clamp the bu**gers up

problem solved and she never split a pipe due to expansion stresses

Have a stainless manifold, bought from jigsaw many years ago, which is trial fitted to my long term project which is also tight on heater return pipe. Always thought I would use it with a MK2 system as it has a larger diameter pipe with a stepped connection to the collector.

Regards

Paul

When I restored my GT6 10 years ago I purchased a complete system from a large supplier and the manifold would not align with the studs; helpfully the engine was still on a stand.  After sending me three different ones still no joy so returned the lot; my contacts in the dockyard reckoned the manufacturer had whipped it off the jig with allowing time for it to cool after welding. A Jigsaw supplied one fitted straight off and has been no problem other than the same as Pete's experience of a tight fit against the block, spookily I came up with the same solution by rerouting the byepass hose.

Dick 

Had one on my Vitesse until recently,it never fitted,had to cut and weld the down pipes but the biggest problem was the rubbish push fit collector,also it sat below the chassis too low so the 3 into 1 bit would hit the road on every journey when going over large bumps and potholes..

In the end i found an original MTP 6-3-1 and had a custom made single box system fitted by Simpson race exhausts.(Mat Simpson from BTCC series).

Steve