Steering wheel

dougbgt6

Just buy left handed keys.

My father's first car was a Rootes Group Hillman Minx, floor dip and built like a tank. One of the front kingpins sheared outside my school and he left a huge gouge in the road surface which went on for yards.

I remember him repairing the bodywork with Pop-On sills and a rivet gun....

HI

Those drivers below a certain Age group will not remember the days ( Uncle Albert Time again) when ALL Signals where made with the Right Hand/Arm. Straight out (I am turning Right): Rotary Motion (I am Turning Left): Vertical Up and Down Motion ( I am slowing or intending to stop). Plus Of Course, Two Fingers in "V". ( GO forth and Multiply) and Clenched Fist with Middle digit upward. ( I dont give a Flying F****, so rotate on this).:rolleyes:

When I got my old P6 resprayed I drove it back without any lights fitted. And used hand signals.

I had asked the police if this was ok and essentially they said it should be fine - though this was probably 30+ years ago now and things weren't as rigid as they are now!

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Traficators      wonderfull contraption      like getting old....badly affected by  wind

Gladly replaced by winkers 

A lot of the winkers on the road round here wouldn't use either trafficators or indicators.

Anyway if we're reinventing hand signals, we need them for the following phrases:

What side of the road are you meant to be on?

Do you want both sides of the road?

Do you know what 'give way' means?

You can't really be parking there?

Do you want me to open the boot so you can get closer?

Yes it's another bl**dy cyclist.

Yes, I really AM a pensioner and I DO drive this slowly.

Suggestions, please......

I turned right a while ago and will probably be turning right again, at some point,  so I've left the indicator on.

Ditto left

I am a Highways Traffic/Borough Council/Police van, so I can park 2 wheels on the pavement straddling double yellow lines.

I am a VERY large Lorry/bus/tractor on a ridiculously narrow road and you WILL get out of my way.

Time for my medication :angry:

db

• 2 weeks later...

I sure hope so! No the horn is on the stalk - everything points to the B54 boss. But it don't fit - unless I'm doing something wrong!

This is what the original wheel looks like.

spitfire1500_plate_1h_04r.jpg

And the cowling is something like this.

spitfire1500_plate_1h_05l.jpg

I can't find any other pictures of cowlings to know if what it has fitted is the right one!

That would make sense for your '64 Spit - mine is '77 but the commission number is 102xxx so in theory is the one I have! 

Unless some thing has changed and it has a mixture of bits attached - nothing would surprise me! :lol:

Edited by Anglefire
Spelling

28 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

No the horn is on the stalk

The off set hole in the boss is for the horn contact for centre push. So not sure which boss you've got. Have you looked on Moto Lita site? You can enter you're model and they tell you what you need.

Doug

Is it the wrong boss, or do you need to adjust the inner column so the new boss seats fully? (Assuming the column adjusts in the same way as the GT6 one does). Is the spline different between the two options? If so, and the new boss fits on, then it's pointing to a column tweak.

Gully

15 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

The off set hole in the boss is for the horn contact for centre push. So not sure which boss you've got. Have you looked on Moto Lita site? You can enter you're model and they tell you what you need.

Doug

There's an error on the Moto-lita website re the GT6. They reckon from 1969 onwards a B20A boss is needed if you search (and I bought one from the Club shop which I still have on the shelf in the shed as it didn't fit). The chap I bought my steering wheel from warned me after the event - I needed a B20 which he couriered to me during the Christmas hols a few years ago. If you look at the Moto-lita website, it says the B20 is for the GT6 up to 1978, but doesn't come up when you search by model...

If anyone needs a B20A, mine is available and I only paid £15.42 for it!

Gully

21 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Doug

Yes I've looked on the Moto-lita site - its where I nicked the pictures from :lol: And it agrees with the Rimmers site in terms of model years - but the Moto-lita site doesn't mention commission numbers.

21 minutes ago, Gully said:

Is it the wrong boss, or do you need to adjust the inner column so the new boss seats fully? (Assuming the column adjusts in the same way as the GT6 one does). Is the spline different between the two options? If so, and the new boss fits on, then it's pointing to a column tweak.

Gully

It adjusts? I didn't know that! Or how!

Oh and the boss seems to fit the splines just fine. Bottoms out on the cowling and the column doesn't come through the hole to allow the nut to fit on. I might have another look when I get chance tomorrow (Taking the youngest out for driving practice - first time - so might need something to calm my nerves :rolleyes:)