12v LED bar

Blitz

Being a bit OCD. I’ve eBay myself a red led lighting bar and 12v AA battery box. Simple set up for enhanced visibility at night. 

Anyhow. The battery box has the obvious neg and pos wires. However the led bar only has a red pos wire. How do I get theses things to work please. 

Dumb ass sorry ;)

Grant 

Blitz,

Why the AA battery box?    Four of those make 12V, but where will the box be? Will you have to get out and turn them on when it gets dark?   You have a good 12V going to the rear lights when you flick that switch on the dash.   You could wire your light bar to that.

Pictures, please!

I fitted a front LED light bar to my Vitesse.  A 24" jobbie; came with both the usual wires, but unlike conventional bulb for an LED it matters which is 12V and which is earth.

JOhn

Blitz,

That's not a "light bar!  That's three LEDs, spread out on a fitting that could take another six.    I hope you didn't spend a lot on it, 'coz it's cheap and nasty.

If you're going to 'magnet them onto the boot lid' I presume  the housing is steel, not plastic?    And the makers must expect volts return, earth, via that but if all that holds it on is a magnet, there will be no earth.

It's a great idea, but please, do it properly!   Here's an 18LED bar, comes with a proper cable, but may need a bracket making up.  Wire it your brake lights!  http://autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=115_139&product_id=1246  'Only' £22.

Here's a flexible LED strip, easy to attach with double sided tape and again complete with connector, that you can wire to your brake and tail lights, AND white reversing light!  (Don't connect to your turn signals - red for those is only legal in the US)   And less than £16!  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mesllin-Tailgate-SMD2835-Waterproof-Reverse/dp/B07921JLG8

Do it properly!

John

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Blitz,

That's not a "light bar!  That's three LEDs, spread out on a fitting that could take another six.    I hope you didn't spend a lot on it, 'coz it's cheap and nasty.

If you're going to 'magnet them onto the boot lid' I presume  the housing is steel, not plastic?    And the makers must expect volts return, earth, via that but if all that holds it on is a magnet, there will be no earth.

It's a great idea, but please, do it properly!   Here's an 18LED bar, comes with a proper cable, but may need a bracket making up.  Wire it your brake lights!  http://autoelectricalpartsuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=115_139&product_id=1246  'Only' £22.

Here's a flexible LED strip, easy to attach with double sided tape and again complete with connector, that you can wire to your brake and tail lights, AND white reversing light!  (Don't connect to your turn signals - red for those is only legal in the US)   And less than £16!  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mesllin-Tailgate-SMD2835-Waterproof-Reverse/dp/B07921JLG8

Do it properly!

John

Hi John

I have thought about fitting something like your first one up in the top stainless trim on my Vitesse Saloon. Might get round to it one day

Adriabn

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this old thread rather than starting a new one. 

Id eventually like to replace/upgrade all my dash lighting when I renew the dash - but that won’t be for a year or so. 

As an interim measure I am thinking of wiring an LED strip to the light switch. 

Straightforward?

thanks

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yeh, but not red! Green is nice.

db

I'd go for the same colour as the car, especially in the footwells.

I can't quite believe how 'trendy' the forum's getting with aux led lighting...you'll be having lights under the car next 😉

• Haha 1

I've got stick-on, white LED strips stuck to the under side of the parcel shelves in my Spitfire, connected to the door switches and don't think they're too white.  Especially with a black interior those footwells are like black holes!

For the rest of your LEDs I'd recommend https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/. I used eBay specials on my Spitfire and was always a little underwhelmed.  I used Classic Car LEDs on my 2000, initially for the multi-indicator unit but then the rest of the dash and much more impressed.  They also have an article on the different spectrums (spectra?) of light from different sources, which I think explains my reaction to the eBayed ones in my Spitfire.

1 hour ago, Mjit said:

I've got stick-on, white LED strips stuck to the under side of the parcel shelves in my Spitfire, connected to the door switches and don't think they're too white.  Especially with a black interior those footwells are like black holes!

Wired in to the courtesy light circuit? I know that for night driving even the gauge lights can be distracting, and love the GT6 facility where they can be turned off leaving the car interior completely dark. 

20 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Wired in to the courtesy light circuit? I know that for night driving even the gauge lights can be distracting, and love the GT6 facility where they can be turned off leaving the car interior completely dark. 

Yep, replaced the 'random dangling bulb on just the driver's side' courtesy light with strips on both sides.

Can't say I find the gauge lights distracting in my Spit.  The badly adjusted, over-dazzeling headlights of cars behind me in my mirrors, yes, but not the gauge lights.

3 hours ago, Mjit said:

Sounds like the Night Pannel button you used to get on Saabs, which switched off all dash lights except the speedo.  Tried it once - it just felt so wrong :)

Yes, we had one of those, I suppose good in the dark, but the bit that freaked me out was that it turned off all the gauges, which dropped to zero - bar the speedo, which was now only illuminated for about two-thirds of the face.

I've got one of those LED light bars for the Vitesse.     When the CSCC started 'night' races (actually twilight) it was easier to fit than to upgrade the headlights, which are a bit dim.    Then they said "No LED lightbars"!   B*gg*r!    But I had to withdraw for other reasons anyway.   40 LEDs in two rows, it's like a lighthouse on the front.   And it doesn't put out the dash lights!

They have relented.  Next year, lightbars will be permitted, and touring will be safer too, so it's going back on.

John