More on MOT exemption

dougbgt6

excerpt from the manual. 

The following are only considered a defect if they seriously restrict the driver's view:

• taxi signs to indicate when the vehicle is ‘for hire’
  • ‘official’ stickers, such as parking and disabled permits
  • sun visor on the driver's side that can’t be stowed in the 'off screen' position
  • windscreen wipers that automatically stop in a position obscuring the view

You can remove items such as a sat nav or air fresheners that obstruct the driver's view of the road. However, make sure you tell the driver.

Once had a spitfire fail because the tester thought the original spec seat mounting bolts were too small and not safe , wanted m10's with large washers under the floor, so much hassle to appeal took it elsewhere and guess what, no problem at all, there are some real twat mot testers around, if you find one just go somewhere else

That's what I use mine for in the main. When the sun is low enough to need them, the glass is so scratched that you can't see anyway - in my Modern the glass is so dirty - well film of something - that can't see when driving that in the sun either ?

44 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

I hate to think what these testers would do if presented with some of the pre-war cars.

Thank goodness the experience tester know how to apply the requirements.

Dave  

May be thats why they allowed over 40's to be exempt!! saves on the tester training content.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ben Caswell said:

May be thats why they allowed over 40's to be exempt!! saves on the tester training content.

Ben, You are right as with the new MOT coming in, aimed at modern cars, the DVLA stated they didn't want two classes of MOT for cars, as you say, due to the extra costs.

Dave

I agree with everyone, I didn't think they were an issue. I had them down as one of those things whereby if you have them they need to function but not having them isn't an issue. They're back on now anyway but as was said, their primary function is as wind deflectors rather than sun defenders.  

Thinking about it I'm not even sure a having windscreen is compulsory, Ariel Atoms etc so heaven knows where you'd put them in that case. 

I did drive my P6 home after it was resprayed with no lights fitted, or indicators. Etc. 

Did ask the police if I could and they basically said go for it. Not fitted can’t be done for not working. 

Was fine - just used hand signals. 

Mind you that was 30years ago. Times change ?

28 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

not even sure a having windscreen is compulsory

The MOT rule is, if it's supposed to be there, it should be there. When I had a problem with my servo the less well informed said "You don't need it, get rid off it".  However, as it had been installed as standard in the factory, removing it is an MOT fail. Bizarrely it doesn't have to work, the MOT doesn't check that it works, it just has to be there.

Doug

I had a Peugeot 306 which had it's spare wheel under the rear end in a wire frame. I took the car for an MOT, the spare wasn't looking too good so left it off.  Got a call, "You can have an MOT if you fetch the spare and put it in the frame!".  Same story, the frame's there and it has to have a spare wheel in it. Again the spare tyre can be in any condition, bald as an egg, it's not checked, just has to be there. Maybe changing in the new MOT, hope so, silly not to check the spare.

Doug

I took my spitfire for its MOT last year and the spare was just a rim - no tyre. Left the rim out. Got an mot without that as an advisory. Other things were advisory’s though. Suspension and oil leak. Oil leak is a standard feature from new. ?

suspension is on order. ?

At one point it was definitely the case that a spare tyre was testable (and thus had to be in good condition) if and only if the tester could inspect it without lifting any carpet. So cars like that Peugeot or the Renault with the spare under the bonnet needed a good spare.

I've just been reminded by that conversation that I don't have a spare of any kind. Something else for the shopping list.... and a little jack or else having a spare won't be much use. That precious space gets used up pretty quickly. 

From https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot

Sadly they haven't taken the chance to impose tyre age restrictions. Missed opportunity.

Anyway, I always carry a spare (and check its pressure regularly) AND a can of tyre foam in all our cars. I know it is the spawn of satan in some respects, but if it can get you out of trouble, and it has in the past, then worth carrying. Even if only to drive to a safe place to change a wheel or call breakdown to do it (ie my daughters and lady wife, who can change a wheel, but I am not keen on that happening at the roadside)

BTW the spare I carry rarely matches the size on the car. And I have removed the wheel hold-down bracket ad replaced it with a bolt/washers though the boot floor. This means the spare is carried "well up" which is filled with "stuff"  Current spare is a 145 13 on herald rim. Gives a nice bit of extra space in the boot for the CLM trip. Leaving for pt1 tonight....

2.12 Tyres and wheels

These will be inspected to check for:

• condition
  • security
  • tyre size and type
  • tread depth

Spare wheels and tyres are not inspected.

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012 will be checked to make sure the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) MIL is working.

I think the tyre age thing is probably a manufacturer lead date - based on some science I’m sure - but if tyres are stored in the dark they will last longer. Which reminds me, I must sort Swmbo’s tyres on her car - 8 years old and some cracks have appeared. Discovered showing my youngest vehicle checks as part of her learning to drive ?

My daily had a puncture last year - well more like the pressure was slightly low and being run flats wasn’t obvious. Eventually the tpms threw a warning so I stopped at the nearest garage.  Put some tyre weld in - air still peeing out and then found the reinforcing wires poking through the inside of the tyre. But still drove it to the tyre place and got it replaced. But there is no space for a spare - what would be the spare tyre hole, has the battery in it. 

We ran an LPG Zafira for about 10 years. The LPG tank went where the spare was meant to be (factory conversion too)

Got a puncture in France, the evening before. the factory supplied sealant went in, but still deflated quickly. Ended up with 4 extra tins of sealant in the car, and had to stop every 2 hours on the way home to inflate the tyre to 45psi and went down to 25 each stop. Got home, dug my trusty Dunlop repair kit out and fixed in 5 minutes, job done. No more leaks...

After that carried the dunlop kit, though never needed again on that car. On holidays we ended up carrying a spare in the boot.

Trouble is my BMW takes 19" 285 or something - they are huge in the boot - which is not that big to start with (Well not compared to the boot in my old Disco!) 

To be fair, when off roading, I used to carry 2 spares - one underneath and one on the roof. In 7 years only had 2 punctures - both when off road. About 170k miles and a few thousand off road

1DX_8308 Canon EOS-1D X.jpg