Gates Barricade Fuel Hose

23 hours ago, Paul H said:

I looked at Cohline piping but was put off by this forum thread  - 

Paul 

Well, it isn't the same Cohline piping is it?  That's 2122 (cloth covered) and I said 2240.

After two consecutive failures of the unbranded SAE J30 R9 pipe (one batch from ebay, one direct from AFS) within 9 months each, I fitted the Cohline 2240, purchased from Merlin MS a year ago and it still looks like new.  The car is injected so the fuel system operates at 3 Bar.

Nick

4 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Well, it isn't the same Cohline piping is it?  That's 2122 (cloth covered) and I said 2240.

After two consecutive failures of the unbranded SAE J30 R9 pipe (one batch from ebay, one direct from AFS) within 9 months each, I fitted the Cohline 2240, purchased from Merlin MS a year ago and it still looks like new.  The car is injected so the fuel system operates at 3 Bar.

Nick

Hi Nick , I just saw the name Cohline and the rest went over my head - I redid all fuel piping with supposed R9 , supplier AFS 18 months ago on my vitesse  , so far so good though now I will be doing regular checks - At the fuel tank end I redirected the piping slightly so could include on/ off tap and in line filter - With the new layout it quite easy to check condition 

Paul 

Thanks Pete.

It will be good to offer both and hopefully have the edge over Moss Europe prices if possible - perhaps an all-in free p&p price may tempt TSSC members to purchase.

I accept TSSC HQ is a business but occasionally some instances require safety over profit.

Regards.

Richard.

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

Hi Nick , I just saw the name Cohline and the rest went over my head - I redid all fuel piping with supposed R9 , supplier AFS 18 months ago on my vitesse  , so far so good though now I will be doing regular checks - At the fuel tank end I redirected the piping slightly so could include on/ off tap and in line filter - With the new layout it quite easy to check condition 

Paul 

Tap is a nice touch. On mine I use the tank drain to feed a Bosch hp injection pump via an inline strainer, all mounted under the boot floor. That is 10mm line. Have to use a hose clamp to isolate.

The rest of the feed line is 8mm, mostly copper but with sections of the Cohline hose to connect in the filter and full rail. Return line is the original carb feed apart from no mechanical pump.

I've been following this thread with interest, as I've been slowly replacing the tired hoses in my engine bay with some new stuff I bought on Amazon, and seeing those terrible pictures in The Courier. 

Finally got around to checking it today, it's marked 'rated unleaded R6' but this marking has come off in places where it has come into contact with fuel.  So that's now gone in the bin. 

I decided to check the rest of my fuel lines back to the tank, and it's all this clear/yellow stuff pictured below.  only markings I can find are 'RAGNO CR PER ALIMENTI'.  Does this look like an approved type of fuel hose to anyone? Or should I be annoyed with whichever previous owner fitted it? 

I've ordered a few metres of the proper Codan stuff mentioned earlier to replace the lot.  This time with an inline filter before the pump, as that was absolutely crammed with crap.  I might put in one of those taps in the boot too, as an anti-theft device. 

20180702_202041.jpg

20180702_204428.jpg

20180702_204337.jpg

38 minutes ago, citybreeze said:

Or should I be annoyed with whichever previous owner fitted it? 

I would not be too heavy on whatever PO fitted those hoses, they are very old and at that time I doubt very much that ethanol was even on the radar for many classic vehicle owners; in fact many motor factor outlets stocked that type of fuel line only.

I am sure we have all seen that type of hose on other classics over the decades - thankfully we have moved on and have a better understanding as to the importance of correct fuel lines; often as a result of Forum input.

Placing a filter prior to the pump is an excellent idea, as is the tap.

Thanks for sharing your hose photos, perhaps a museum piece one day ? !!

Best wishes.

Richard. 

My Italian is no good at all but doesn't "Ragno Cr per alimenti" mean "rated for fuel use"? Though as Richard says, that would be 1970s fuel, not high ethanol modern stuff. What I probably would criticize the earlier owner for is the sheer length of once-flexible hose in that last photo. The black semi-rigid in the middle is OK but fuel lines should be mostly rigid (copper or steel) with only short links of rubber.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Personally I wouldn't take that spec as shown  as confirming it is ok for petrol I'd want more details.

I'm certain I would not even bother, Chris.

Regards.

Richard. 

The short lengths of fuel hose connecting the steel pipe sections under the bonnet of my GT6 are the same material as Citybreeze has photographed. I check them regularly, but they've never discoloured or deformed in any way. That said, I always use a fuel additive with an anti-ethanol property, so that may be protecting them.

Gully

• 2 weeks later...

Richard's original post prompted me to check the state of the fuel hoses on my Spitfire. It was all R6 stuff that I had put on about 18 months ago and it seemed to be in good shape except for a section that runs through the boot floor, joining the metal pipe from the fuel tank to the 8mm copper pipe that runs to the engine bay. This bit had gone very hard and certainly needed to be replaced and I decided to redo it all to be on the safe side. Somebody else had suggested putting in a fuel cut off valve as well and so I ordered one of these as well as 2 metres of Codan R9 hose. I drained the tank by undoing the rubber pipe under the boot floor and then went to pull the other end off the metal pipe from the fuel tank. I didn't do more than just touch the pipe but that was enough to snap off the 50 year old metal pipe from the bottom of the tank. I hate to think of what would have happened if this had broken off while there was any amount of petrol in the tank, it was clearly about to let go at any moment. This prompted a rethink and I remade the pipe in 1/4 inch OD copper pipe and used compression fittings to make the entire run from the tank to the engine bay from new. On the early Spitfires the petrol pipe comes out from the bottom of the tank and this part is just in the right place to be snapped off by the spare wheel if the car suffers any rear end impact. For further piece of mind I cut a thick piece of rubber that was just thick enough to protect the pipe and spread the impact load if that should every happen. IMG_20180718_093117408.thumb.jpg.76c2fa030276fd3bf479b7ea492668eb.jpg 

I cut a hole in the tank cover to allow access to the fuel tap and covered this with a box to protect it.

IMG_20180718_092604622.thumb.jpg.0a47ac425c0127f119457c0f3d0efc47.jpg

At the other end of the car I made a bracket to support the copper pipe where it joins the new rubber hose to the fuel pump.

IMG_20180718_100748018.thumb.jpg.f7633d48bc18ab850551e9ae4577321f.jpg

IMG_20180718_094743804.thumb.jpg.ecbc3da8d793ba8080e640a19a83d1e5.jpg

I used a pipe cutter rather than a hacksaw to cut the copper pipe as this rounds the cut end and makes a much less jagged cut so that there is a reduced chance of Pete's dreaded rubber slivers being cut off the inside of the hose. I hope the pictures explain all this better and that it is of some help to somebody.

Adrian

Nice job, Adrian.

Yes, always use a pipe cutter to cut pipes. So much cleaner than a hack.

Incidentally, I had a look at the fuel pipes that came off my Spitfire, prompted by a fellow Mk3 owner's similar efforts, and the original pipe work did not have any rubber at the back. There's a solid pipe from the tank, through the boot floor to an olive coupling, from where the solid pipe runs along the chassis all the way to the engine bay. The first bit of rubber pipe is the one to the fuel pump.

Pipe cutters do produce a nice, smooth cut that is straight across.  But they also force a flange into the interior, that must be filed away, so cleaning and blowing out 'slivers' or filings is still an essential part of fabrication.

Above, people have used copper pipe which I have used successfully for fuel lines, but other materials are available.    Aluminium 'Hardline' tubing can be used, or else for a flexible hose, steel braided teflon.  Both expensive, and need special connectors!

John