High Temp Paint

moretonjr_4430

Hi

Pete`s advice is good, however IF you want to paint the engine, Try looking for Fuel Burning Stove outlets, I have some (Matt) Black which I use on a wood-burner and My C-I Chimenea. It will last at least a couple of years outside, and more on the Lounge Stove (5+ and still OK).

Pete

P.S. An example just googled:- http://www.thestovecompany.co.uk/high-temperature-stove-paint/brush-on-high-temperature-stove-paint?cPath=13_18&zenid=e1j0dc9d9509vb4miohtbar3a4

Pete

Edited by PeteH
Added Text

Thanks for the comments so far.  I don't particularly want to paint the engine but it is painted red which, was done by the previous owner about 15 years ago (the engine is actually a Dolomite 1300).  It's looking a little tied and faded so I thought of painting over in black.  I presume it would have been black originally.

Hi.

FYI. the engine block on my 13/60, which is currently covered with oil in the garage, awaiting attention, IS painted Red. Which I assume is still ex-factory?, and looks as if it was a gloss finish?. I doubt if it has been removed in the last 40 years either.

Pete

Hi Pete, if it was gloss then the paint has faded !!  I'm in two minds whether to repaint at all and, if I do, should I keep it red or switch to black.  When I bought the car (15 years ago or so) it was part through a full body off restoration and the engine paint looked fresh.  I can't imagine the previous owner would have painted the engine red for the sake of it so, if that is the original colour then I'm tempted to keep it that way.

Pretty certain the blocks were all black. Seen a few unmolested ones with symbols (numbers?) roughly painted in what looks like red oxide, which I presume was factory.

Remember is the 70's and 80's it was all the rage to paint mechanicals red. And certainly in the 80's the go-faster brigade also started under-lighting their cars. Maybe that was a nod to  Back to the Future?

Red engine paint works like Shelby stripes, it adds about 20bhp. Whereas green engine paint and wire wheels add about 20yrs. ?

Mine's black but I do like a coloured engine if all the ancilliaies match, I always think they look cleaner and give the 'impression' that some care and thought has been involved even if it ended up being a little misguided. 

I'd put money on the fact that the same people who paint their engines in non standard colours are the same people who were spray painting their bike every 5 minutes when they were a kid. Come on, let's see a show of hands, you know who you are ?

Confession time : I didn't like the baby blue paintwork inside the Hillman Imp I got when I was 17. So eventually I painted it gloss Oxford Blue with a brush. I basically just treated it like my best ever Airfix kit. I applied it far too thickly and some bits never did properly dry and it always smelled of turps. When I realised I couldn't change the outside colour as easily as I'd hoped, I traded up for a little white 1300 spit mk4. And I showed it a LOT more respect.

Thinking back that spit was an absolute rust bucket, sills, arches, door bottoms, nose, everything.... and it had a Fred Flintstone floor. That was probably why I could afford it, but it was only about 10yrs old at the time so it was shocking really. I had to sell that one twice because the first buyer brought it back when they'd looked at it properly. Being bigger than me he got his money back. Second buyer was a scrapyard. 

There you go, that's a nicer on topic story than all of that boring political stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ShaunW said:

What car is that Pete? I've not seen an expansion tank and filler there before, if that's what it is. Where's your carbs! ? 

That looks like the standard radiator / header tank setup for a 1600 Vitesse. One of the carbs is just visible above the front of the header tank.

On 8/1/2018 at 2:07 AM, ShaunW said:

Red engine paint works like Shelby stripes, it adds about 20bhp. Whereas green engine paint and wire wheels add about 20yrs. ?

I painted mine green as I like stationary engines, and mine hasn't moved under its' own power since 2003....