Spot lights

Paul H

All depends on whether you want period, or late period.... 60s ones can be pricey but 70s versions are more common, usually because they're plastic rather than chrome. I presume you want round rather than rectangular?

(BTW for anyone in that particular area, the Micklegate Antiques shop in York, beside Micklegate Newsagents, had a lovely set of rectangular spots, boxed and new, last time I was there in early November. He was closed as I passed so couldn't check price.)

4 hours ago, Paul H said:

Pretty sure this topic has been covered but can’t find it 

Looking for a decent set of spot lights for my Vitesse 5 or 5.5” 

Any suggestions ?

Paul 

Paul, serious question here.

Are these to have a practical purpose? in which case cibie or other similar expensive lights would be ideal. And that is if you have sorted your existing 4 headlights so they are good and bright.

If you are after period accessories, then get something period. Beware modern chromed spotlights. They rust fast....

Thanks for all the input . My mains have been upgraded to crystal with standard halogens and relay . The inners have been rewired for dip and main function so all 4 headlights operate on main and dip. For MOT inspections removing an inline fuse converts the lights back to standard operation. The light output is good though will be improved by upgrading to branded bulbs.

My Vitesse currently has plastic Ring rectangular spots with added relay so the plan was to upgrade these to be more in keeping . I’ve looked at Cibie Oscar’s though can’t justify the price. The current thoughts are to look at 5.5ins stainless “Cibie” copies. The problem with the copies is that they can leak and low quality metal . To overcome this plan to spray the rear of the spot with black paint and rust proof the insides and seal the lamps to prevent ingresss . The copies are 25% of the cost of genuine Cibies so would be able to afford branded halogens 

Thanks again for all your advice

Paul 

If already running H4 bulbs Classic Led’s have some straight-replacements, they are not cheap, currently about £70 a pair, but as a simple change with no other work the difference is quite dramatic, plus of course the current draw is significantly lower.

...... Andy