Front Number Plate Fitting

s99sdp

Hello Brainiacs!

Does anyone have any pictures of how you've fitted your front number plates?

I have purchased the 1970's raised number plate style and I'm wondering how you have attached them at the front end? I've seen that someone has used chrome headed bolts in holes of the front bumper then made their own bracket to hang down.

All other submissions and advice is always greatly appreciated.

On your marks...get set.....

SP

On my MkIV Spitfire, I made an aluminium plate, the same size as the new number plates, with two holes recessed to fit a bolt heads and bolted it onto the front brackets. Then applied my black & silver embossed plate with double sided number plate tape. Afrer 18 months all still appears to be solid.

Depends on whether or not you like the chromed bumper and want to show it off; you can attach the plate directly to it, but this covers most of the chrome, or else make two small metal brackets about two inches long and hang the numberplate off those, so that the chrome is uncovered.

My GT6 was originally underslung, but I moved it up a few years later after it had been fully rebuilt.

973866352_SALsign2-1.gif.ecdc31132e504b5f59e335886b54da9c.gif DSCF5495.jpg.41ffab3bf69beb50dbe01b217a46a545.jpg

I think at present I just need spirits... but that was sorted within a few minutes of the photo. 

It's in keeping with the top photo, where the bonnet didn't fit well (you can see they way the grille looks) and that turned out to be because the car was four inches shorter on one side than the other, due to old accident damage, which necessitated a full rebuild within a year.

• Haha 1

School boy error, I should have told you its a Mk3. I think I might use the holes in the bumper I previously mentioned and make some brackets.

Colin, full rebuild due to a wonky number plate?? 😂 You have too much money!

SP

• Haha 1

Hello SP

An important consideration is not blocking the airflow to the radiator, when I ran my 1500 I fitted two brackets to the front chassis and I had two setting one for summer (lower) and a winter one (higher up) this seemed to avoid over heating. This worked well and always believed the number plate hanging from the front bumper in line with the radiator was not good. I also have a Gt6 and forgot this lesson and it over heated a number of times, until I moved the number plate.

Graham

I think I'll hang it low somehow. I'm learning that these cars are a 'make it work you're own way' thing. 

Because I'm not the most practical I just worry I'm gonna mess it up. I'll post some pics on how I get on after the weekend.

SP

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, KevinR said:

Stuart,

You may want to convert the HEIC files to JPGs and repost them - HEIC files are an Apple IOS thing that isn't yet supported by MS Windows and Android operating systems..

on it..