Found a car

iana

After a bit of a tour round, we have 4 garages that stock super unleaded. I’m trying the Morrison’s option first as that’s the easiest garage to get to that has a sensible price. I will see how the car runs on it and take it from there. 

Had 2 new tyres fitted today, out of interest what is the normal pressure for a 155/80 13? It was suggested 24 at the front and 22 at the rear - is this ok?

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My local fitter, a man of many years experience, claims that those figures were for tyres that were available back in the 1960s.

With the improved quality of modern tyres, he advises me to get them up to 28 or 30.

I found 25 psi far to low on my Vitesse and  settled on 30 psi 

Paul 

• Like 1

just sorting out what I need to order from the club for the fuel pipes etc. There's a short length of rubber hose by the fuel pump, a length of hose that feeds to the carbs and then a length that feeds to the second carb (its running SUs and theyre linked with rubber fuel line). Am I likely to find a piece of rubber hose anywhere else?

Hi Iana.  There's normally 2 lengths by the fuel pump, a couple of short lengths, along the pipe run at the side the main chassis rail. Also some hose out of the fuel tank, and maybe a bit to do with the reserve, though not sure of this on Vitesse? as never noticed it on mine.

I think a metre of hose covers It ? (Normally only available in metre increments). The club shop apparently will do 1/2 metre each of smaller/bit larger bore. I think this maybe for GT6, as I always thought Vitesse was just smaller bore(1/4" int diameter) all along the run (I hope so, as I bought a metre of it a while back, though not fitted it yet).

Dave

Edited by daverclasper

I have hose all the way from the pump to the carbs, reduces the likelihood of the dread rubber slivers. Don't know about the Vitesse, but my GT6 has a sneaky short length in the passenger side rear wheel arch. But, a metre should be enough for everything.

Doug

Anyone know how much hose comes in the club offer? Ive had a measure up, it all looks like 1/4" hose but I need 1.65m, (a metre would have been just ok apart from how the carbs are fed on my car) and I found 6 locations, so will also need 14 clips.

25 minutes ago, iana said:

Anyone know how much hose comes in the club offer? Ive had a measure up, it all looks like 1/4" hose but I need 1.65m, (a metre would have been just ok apart from how the carbs are fed on my car) and I found 6 locations, so will also need 14 clips.

Hi , I believe it’s 0.5 metres of each size . If you are buying quantity you  would be better off buying from Moss on EBay so long as it’s Gates Barricade 

Paul 

1.65M !!

The club shop sells it by the 1/2 metre which will work out expensive for you.

You may / will be better getting it from Moss Europe they sell by the metre and about £6.50+vat.

2 minutes ago, classiclife said:

1.65M !!

The club shop sells it by the 1/2 metre which will work out expensive for you.

You may / will be better getting it from Moss Europe they sell by the metre and about £6.50+vat.

1 minute ago, classiclife said:

Gosh that's spooky, Paul !!

Great minds 😄 

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Hi , I believe it’s 0.5 metres of each size . If you are buying quantity you  would be better off buying from Moss on EBay so long as it’s Gates Barricade 

Paul 

5 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Paul 

The clips you need are 13 - 15 mm

With Vitesse  fuel  hoses check the pipe diameters the link between and carb fittings may well be 6mm with tank and pump being 8mm

So you  will need two  hose diameters  and clips to suit,

If you can use rubber in longer lengths and eliminate as many  metal/rubber joints as possible you reduce the possible leak points

Pete

Cheers Pete. What's the bundy bridge pipe please (the splitter to feed both carbs?).

In the past I replaced a couple of sections of hose (tank to metal feed pipe and short bit of hose link in the metal feed pipe). I'm pretty sure the hose was 6mm, though went on easy enough.

I will measure outside diameter of metal pipes. If for some reason it's 6mm, is this a problem  on 6 cylinder (engine does look like it may run on the weak side at higher revs, by plug chops colour, and can hesitate a bit under load sometimes, though good at other times with a healthy plug colour)?.

I thought Herald 13/60/Vitesse had same tanks and will check part no's, as, assume the 13/60 tank would have 6mm pipe feed?, though larger for Vitesse. 

Any help on this much appreciated, please.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

Hello Dave,

Just popped in to the garage to measure for you.

On my Vitesse Mk2, the OD of the metal pipes including the piece that splits and supplies the 2x carbs is 6.52mm

I use 1/4" Gates Barricade Fuel Hose on the car which clamps the pipes correctly - you do not want the hose ID larger than the metal pipe OD.

1/4" = 6.35mm which is the ideal fitment re the above.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.