Found a car

iana

13 minutes ago, johny said:

well old english white would have been best

My first car, in 1988, when I'd been hunting for a nice cheap Herald, ended up being a white Mk1 Vitesse saloon. An excellent result, and Wedgewood is a very acceptable alternative colour. Congratulations iana!

12 hours ago, johny said:

I must admit that I have toyed with the idea of black stripes down the sides but so far have resisted.....

I also contemplated that on my first Vitesse. I saw a very nice 1600 in that colour scheme at Barrington. SWMBO approved of it, too. When I give Tessa her second restoration I may go with white stripes (she's dark green).

Looking forward to the pictures, iana!

14 hours ago, iana said:

It’s a saloon in Wedgewood blue. 

Well done and in a nice colour.

As interest Old English White was a colour not used on the Vitesse. Triumph White, sometimes called New White, code 19 was used on the Vitesse.

The Black stripe was only an option on the Vitesse 6. 

Dave

Minilites are for the future, we need to collect the car and use it for this year, there’s a couple of things I want to sort, mainly down to personal preferences.

Any ideas what sort of mpg I will get out of a vitesse, I need to plan my route home and want to avoid motorway fill ups if possible. I’m guessing late 20s to early 30s. I will take a can of fuel just in case. 

well on a long run cruising around 60mph Ive had 34mpg (or maybe even a bit more due to the bigger tyres) but Ive taken a lot of care setting mine up. If you have OD not sure what difference it will make as it does drop the engine revs but also absorbs quite a lot of drive power. Fuel tank takes 40L but the gauge can be unreliable so yes a fuel can isnt a bad idea....

Definitely budget for mid to low 20s. As others have said, you should be getting better than that but as the car is an unknown quantity you need to be pessimistic. I generally used to get 28-30 from Tessa before swapping the engine but she's definitely worse now. My old saloon gave 30 regularly but that was in the days of four-star.

Do use the premium unleaded, more expensive, but nearer to what was available when car was new, my car runs so much better on it. I have a Mk1 2L with overdrive get late twenties on a run, got over thirty when running in new rings and bearings, round town don't like to think about it.

All the best for the trip.

Regards

Paul

yes   97/99 ron is the stuff to use , when these were  newer 95 UL would been used in side valve and motor mowers.

to run on 95  2** you have to retard the timing and with this reduce the sparking performance to a lesser degree, 

keep octane as high as available use the factory timing and all is well and the best economy comes with it.

tesco is showing as   99+ ive run on sainsbugs 97 for years in the vit6 with never a hic up

heres some reading on fuels , and some comments including some real plonkers 

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/supermarket-vs-branded-fuels/

pete