How bad is this?

RAW1969

Hi

1967 vitesse cv.

I was taking out the interior with a view to putting some rattle insulation under the carpets and found a couple of holes. Pics attached.  The holes are along the joint of floor and door pillar. So you have to be in the front footwell looking backwards to see them. Hence the photos aren’t vey good. Similar state offside and near side. 

Maybe not one for the purists but....Would a cosmetic patch be ok/ safe here or does it need something more substantial? (This isn’t a concourse car ).

Your thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

876ACFC0-FCFA-4866-91B4-B42DE3C09351.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bordfunker said:

If it’s anthing like mine the rot will extend further than you first think or hope.

Karl

Paint strip and clean an area for 6 inches or so around the rust so you are back to good metal.   You will be surprised/shocked at what you have.

Repair it properly.

Roger

This is the near side. A matching pair! The floor panels on both sides looks ok. The fresh air bit is at the bottom of the vertical. Think the pictures look dramatic as they’re close up. Holes are about 3-4 inches long. Still a hole though. On closer inspection the offside has 2 nearby patches already.

So is the remedy to cut the rotten bit off the bottom of the A post bit and get a repair piece welded in then?

Thanks

Richard

A8FF5CBA-1B78-4FC4-A847-9A63B0CF4BEB.jpeg

I am struggling to work out where this is. A couple of pics from further away would help (me at least)

But having just fitted a front floorpan to a vitesse, I can be pretty certain that is more complex than just covering the holes up. It is close to the body mounts on top of the siderails.

I would be taking the sill covers off, and having a very good poke around the body mounts and the surrounding panels. You need to work out how much work is needed, and that requires aggressive poking and not shying away.

Sounds bad news, and unless a decent repair is done, it will come back to haunt you. It is a structural area.

8 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

looks like a sill has been put on some time ago over rusty inners, and your right clive the sill will need to come off and access the area in there. should be able to do a decent job though. good luck.

Ian, this is a Vitesse. As such the sills are attached with screws (and often pop rivets or other assorted fasteners)

They are not at all structural, but just cover the siderails and the body mounts etc. So easy to remove (I said that quickly!)

like the old p6 rovers clive they weren't structural either youd be surprised (maybe not) that garages used to fail the cars mot cause sills not welded, sometimes had to take workshop manual in to prove the sills were screwed on. one mot tester said to me once , "I know but I don't think its safe" 

digressing though, its easy to screw a sill on to cover up the rust inside , im not saying this is the case here, but as you said needs taking off and a good look in there.

Yes  general shot would aid   , you say about door pillar and A post , the pics are a bit unclear as where

Chic doig do a Sill / Apost body mount repair section with the two front mounts on .

Rot in the A post base can get extensive and you start looking at floor pans and much more in that area

Pete

Thanks for your assessments/ advice. Another pic of the near side. Colour coded by POs. Floor is black. A post side is red. A post front is maroon. Pale blue is side of skuttle. All tucked away behind the map holder in the passengers foot well. Looks well beyond my limited capabilities. Will get it off to the garage. 

Cheers

Richard

ABFA3DA9-D7ED-4A16-BA8A-F5631E228792.jpeg

Yes, that makes sense now. 

There are 2, very structural body mounts under that section. When the rot sets in, the bulkhead will start to tilt backwards making the doors difficult to open/shut. 

Pete beat me to it...again!

Chic Doig makes a repair for the bodymounts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERALD-VITESSE-FRONT-BULKHEAD-BODY-MOUNTING-A-POST-FLOOR-ASSEMBLY-CHIC-DOIG/371166198802?hash=item566b3abc12:g:1wIAAMXQiNdRdPx4:rk:37:pf:0

s-l500.jpg

• 11 months later...

Bringing this thread back from the depths just to pass on thanks once again for sharing the wisdom.....

Once  the sills were off the holes were epic when viewed from below. The body mounts pretty much levitating! So took the tip to get the Chic Doug repair sections & packed it off to a friendly local welder. Lost the summer but the car came home all patched up just needing some paint and sills refitting. 

Obviously being a 52 year old triumph that’s not the end of the challenge though. Having stood quietly in the garage for a few weeks it just will not start. So time for a new thread  and more things to learn.

So just to say - the wealth of knowledge, experience and guidance shared here with no expectation of receiving anything in return is totally priceless.

thankyou

Deja Vue?. I am currently working at this too the section at the bottom of both "A" post are virtually non existent!. Fabricating all but the floor pans from scratch!.

image.thumb.jpeg.5696db5fcb48676c6a7d8c579238934c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cd8f0f3e435542b84766755cd7a73fa1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.04b4b843b9a7ad2533ac488067127e62.jpeg

Using self-tap screws to trial fit. then separate the tubs to finish the welding. Marathon "Weldathon" coming up soon.

Pete

• Like 1

All cars rusted back then. I am amazed how some cars have survived. Which questions are any original or have they had many rebuilds. Trigs Broom. Lots of repaired were not rust proved and rotted out twice as fast as the original. 

At least they are still around that's the main thing.

Dav