Will I fit in a spitfire

Phil

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'-5" with size 12's  and used to drive a Spitfire Mk.II when in my agile mid-20's, and never gave a thought to it.  It was a great fun car which I used as my daily,  and the fabric of the roof lifts as you drive along.  NB the early cars had lower seat squabs and thinner back padding than the Mk.IV's. 

Then, some 20 years ago, I had a Tr4 .. and remember I fitted into that more comfortably.  The relatively speaking high doors enveloped me better.  Now I'm pushing towards mid-60's and am 110kg,  and want to come back to Triumphs again.. So with this in mind I've just started to attend my local area TSSC club meet.  Over the next couple of months I hope to find someone with a Tr4 - 6 who's kind enough to let me see if I can get into one nowadays.  I don't have a Triumph right now but I'd like to find a Tr4A (cheap project - anyone please to restore.? ).   Again the earlier TR's had lower seat squabs, skinnier backrest padding. 

In considering my TR wish list,   I reckoned it would be feasible to raise the height of the windscreen by an inch or so, via a packer-block under it.?   Like the Spitfire, the TR's windscreens sit does not sit on a raised plinth.  I'm handy with wood and fibreglass so could shape such a plinth, and it would be tidy.   I'm sure I'm not the first, so has anyone photos or description of such a mod. ?  Thanks

Bfg.   

28 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Also we had hair in the teens 

And bendy legs 

A differnt sort of  LUST

And probably not a care in the world     Ha 

Pete

Someone always has to mention the hair😭

On 08/03/2019 at 09:45, rlubikey said:

I have torn cartilage in both knees now. I did my first knee back in 2000 and since then I use best finishing school technique to get in and out of my Spit and my modern. Much easier on the knees and you don't have to duck to miss the roof either. Mind you, ducking for the roof should NEVER be a problem in a Spit as it should always be driven top-down! Finishing school also tends to avoid the bad habit of supporting yourself by pulling on the A-post/windscreen, which bends over time.

What's this 'finishing school technique'.. ?   certainly it can't be what I was thinking !

BFG, to get in; place bottom on seat, then swing both legs in.

To get out: swing both legs out & place on ground, then stand up.

In the swinging sixties (think miniskirts), known as "How not to show your knickers getting out of an E-Type!" I've NEVER shown my knickers getting out of an E-Type, so it must work!

Cheers, Richard

PS: Brings a whole new meaning to "Shall I drag myself up to the East Berks meet this evening?"

• Like 1