Dot 4 hydraulic fluid, on purpose to strip paint

daverclasper

Hi.  For some reason my MC's never leak out of the top so don't know how good (depending if you want it to strip paint) or bad (if you don't).

Doing the bulkhead. Have got rid of all under seal and most of a tough sand coloured paint/stuff. Also most of the body colour paint.

Still some more detailed areas to do that have some surface rust under the paint and have been making a bit of noise in the street with drill and wire brushes (a few folk work nights).

So is it worth me trying (my old brake fluid), does anyone know please and any tips on this?.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

although DOT 4 has a reputation for lifting pint it can be quite slow.

Nitromores is no longer worth the money.  

I have had very good results with

Starchem Synstrip https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARCHEM-PAINT-REMOVER-PAINT-STRIPPER-VERY-STRONG-AND-EFFECTIVE-5-Litre/263556970260?epid=1090272517&hash=item3d5d383714:g:USYAAOSwO6tbhbpE&frcectupt=true

This really works and will burn your hands if you get it on you.

Roger

I found a couple of 30 year old bottles of dot3 at the back of a shelf. Obviously dangerous to use as brake fluid so I also thought of using it as paint stripper. Ok, why when I want it to strip paint, it won't, but when it leaks out of the master cylinders.. it does. There is no sense or reason left in the world..... I bought a gallon of synstrip off fleabay. That was recommended to me some months ago.. I agree with RogerH (it arrived with a pair of those radiation proof gloves).

Brake fluid only works well as a paint remover where you don’t want it to!

The “ Good Old” Nitromors used to contain methylene dichloride aka dichloromethane - which is a brilliant paint stripper.

Its availability has been restricted for some years now.

The risk to people with some  basic awareness of how to use it is probably  close to  zilch.

But.. it can be really nasty stuff.

Gloves certainly as it burns and you can absorb it through the skin..

The  big risk is from inhaling it.

It doesn’t smell much or that bad -it is  very rapidly and easily absorbed. and affects the nervous system  with both short term and long term effects  but the immediate danger can be from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The readily absorbed dicholoromethane is  metabolised  to carbon monoxide which as everyone knows is highly toxic  as it competes for  and displaces oxygen  carraige in  your blood -which is not a good thing.This is especially so if your arteries are a bit narrowed.

Really good ventilation is essential. Not just a mask (depending on type it may be quite useless in this situation)

- a really  good flow of fresh air is what is required 

I  happily use dichloromethane

- outdoors.

• Like 1

V23-Thanks for the post. I am shortly going to start work on paint stripping (starchem paint stripper) and your post has been invaluable to me. Are any of the vapour filters of any use in a 3m 6200 mask or is it just a question of doors open, restricted time using or just, as you mentioned, an outside job for safety?

3 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

The readily absorbed dicholoromethane is  metabolised  to carbon monoxide

Now I didn't know that was the mechanism. Thanks Vanadium23.

Cheers, Richard

PS: Why did you choose the nom de plume Vanadium23?

Your right about the atomic number.

Sorry to disappoint, but is nothing  remotely clever, subtle  or imaginative in my choice of the element.

It has nothing to do with the colourful compounds of this transition metal  or links to the Scadanavium goddess  Vanadis aka Freyja  and any  Manx norse connections. 

Rather boring, really .My limited brain capacity  was fully saturated  at the time reading  about early motor cars and  car metallurgy relating to the French use of Vanadium , Delage cars  and others, and the subsequent use of Vanadium  steel by Henry Ford in his cars.It left no room  for anything else to “spring “  to mind.

Further reading went on to the other elements used in steel production and the mysterious cloak and dagger WW1  story of how element Mo atomic No 42 came into  use in steel alloys in the Great War.

(I  could have used that -but it is more difficult to spell)

Best Wishes,

- I also answer to Andrew

• Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 10:24, Badwolf said:

V23-Thanks for the post. I am shortly going to start work on paint stripping (starchem paint stripper) and your post has been invaluable to me. Are any of the vapour filters of any use in a 3m 6200 mask or is it just a question of doors open, restricted time using or just, as you mentioned, an outside job for safety?

I really am not  knowledgable  enough about mask specifications - or bold enough to say that a certain mask  would provide adequate safety ,Mr Badwolf. 

Fresh air,  outdoors  is best.

1 hour ago, Vanadium23 said:

Your right about the atomic number.

Sorry to disappoint, but is nothing  remotely clever, subtle  or imaginative in my choice of the element.

It has nothing to do with the colourful compounds of this transition metal  or links to the Scadanavium goddess  Vanadis aka Freyja  and any  Manx norse connections. 

Rather boring, really .My limited brain capacity  was fully saturated  at the time reading  about early motor cars and  car metallurgy relating to the French use of Vanadium , Delage cars  and others, and the subsequent use of Vanadium  steel by Henry Ford in his cars.It left no room  for anything else to “spring “  to mind.

Further reading went on to the other elements used in steel production and the mysterious cloak and dagger WW1  story of how element Mo atomic No 42 came into  use in steel alloys in the Great War.

(I  could have used that -but it is more difficult to spell)

Best Wishes,

- I also answer to Andrew

Has Andrew got an Atomic Number !!!!

Roger

I had the misfortune to use Nitromoors. A new formula the tin stated. You could have drank it neat, did eventually remove paint after repeated applications. I wrote to the company  stating that my cat's P**S was stronger and asked for a refund. To date (4 months) I have not received a replay. EU regs apparently the reason . . . . .

Don't get me started on what can or can't be used anymore. . . I could go on long enough to cause the forum's computer to commit suicide!

I will give just one example. Glysophate (Roundup) I can't use my 1/2 litre per year anymore but the farmer with the field that is next to my property can use as much as he likes... Grrr!

Time for my tablets . . . . . . . :wacko:

Could also mention that that cr*p stuff creocote for fences proper creosote still available to "professional's".

Last time I used proper nitromores wore heavy duty rubber gloves after awhile my fingers started tingling, but it was very effective at removing paint.

Regards

Paul