Online Courier

30 minutes ago, Adrian Cooper said:

As I get older I find myself getting more and more like my father. He would always (politely) refuse to 'Gift Aid' any of his many charitable donations on the principle that the Taxman would make just as good use of the money funding schools, hospitals, emergency services etc. I'm not suggesting that the club changes anything in its arrangements but it does make me a little uncomfortable that the Taxman is helping to fund our car club.

Oh dear, shall I join the others from this thread (don't know who they are) on the naughty step.

Adrian

I think you better had Adrian........ :) 

Tony. 

10 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

on the principle that the Taxman would make just as good use of the money funding schools, hospitals, emergency services etc.

If people really believed that we might have fewer (certainly not none but fewer) tax dodgers. Sadly, governments over the years have singularly failed to give anyone confidence that our taxes go anywhere useful.

But we'd better not go there in case the thread drifts to unwanted places...

If the Government want to make 'charitable donations' via their tax legislation it would be very rude not to take up their kind offer. If that offer happens to be due (not in this case I hasten to add) to badly drafted legislation, that is not the fault of the person taking up their kind offer of reduced taxation. I remember serveral years ago, the government of the day brought in a scheme of tax free dividends (I think) for small limited companies. There was a huge rush of one man businesses to become limited companies paying themselves dividends, instead of wages. It cost the government millions and only lasted 12 months.

I’m of the opinion that it is our duty as citizens to pay the least amount of tax as is legally possible. If they (the government) make the rules then it is up to us to apply them in the right manner. 

I may then decide to directly contribute to charities but that is my choice. 

So avoidance is right, evasion wrong. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I’m of the opinion that it is our duty as citizens to pay the least amount of tax as is legally possible.

The least amount of tax that is legally possible is the maximum amount that the Government can legally take from us, so it's a question of half-full / half-empty. I'll pay my share, but i wish a lot of others in our society would too.

• Like 1

I don't think you should have to. I joined English Heritage over the bank holiday and just paid the normal rate. EH  would reclaim the tax back directly from the Revenue. I just had to confirm that I was a UK tax payer so that they could reclaim the tax that I had already paid.

On 08/05/2019 at 15:22, RogerH said:

Did you know that IKEA is a charity

Every day, Ingvar has to travel miles through congested streets, breathing in choking fumes, often in freezing temperatures, just to sell furniture. If he doesn't do it, he will starve.

Could you spare just £3 a month? If everyone gave just £3 - that's less than the price of one of his can openers - he would have enough money to enable him to stay at home all day.

Please, text 22032 NOW to give just £3. Think of Ingvar. Thank you.

BTW my Courier hasn't arrived yet; it's getting later each month. Maybe I should pay the Postman £3 a month.