Online Courier

Been out for a drive in the hills.  Been through snow, sleet, rain and glorious sunshine.

Came across a German Mercedes club out for a tour in some rather tasty classic Merc’s, also a lotus club out in their Elise’s and Exiges,  another Lotus 7 club out for a drive, and more groups of bikers than I could count.

Now getting in a few beers in the pub.

12 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

What's youre day been like 

Fitting the new fuel tank in the GT6 had to wait, far too busy launching something historic and working frantically to get her ready for trials and hopefully the D-Day 75 activities in Normandy.

• Like 1

Donington Park for me yesterday- ache a bit today from the walking, standing and carrying my camera about. 

I can post some pictures if anyone is interested but there are no racing triumphs yet. 

Today I’m planning on getting the head back on. 

That GT6 looks very nice on your other thread, Mark - thanks for posting.

If you have any shots showing CCK Historic vehicles, I will be interested. Thank you.

Regards.

Richard.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mark,

they are some fine pic's. You have the car pin sharp but get that sense of motion with the background and the rotating wheels.

Very nice.

Roger

Thanks Roger - that was the aim - missed a fair number!

Most of them were taken at 1/100" @ 600mm on a full frame camera - so not that slow - but much slower and the keeper rate falls off to almost never! 😂 

9 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Fitting the new fuel tank in the GT6 had to wait, far too busy launching something historic and working frantically to get her ready for trials and hopefully the D-Day 75 activities in Normandy.

Hello Dick,

Must have gone well, as I heard it being reported upon via Classic FM about lunchtime. Well done.

Regards.

Richard.

6 hours ago, Anglefire said:

By CCK do you mean these cars?

Excellent photos, Mark - very atmospheric.

Yes in part, and it is this mob I was also making reference to:

https://www.cckhistoric.com/

Must chat to them about their website, it's dreadful IMHO !!!

Regards.

Richard.

That said though, Mark, their mechanical and bodywork is second to none plus a state of the art rolling road.

In the process of organising a drive-it day to their location in July, for the East Sussex TSSC branch.

Regards.

Richard.

On 04/05/2019 at 08:39, Badwolf said:

Sorry if I opened a can of worms but I didn't understand the maths regarding the savings from tax and still don't.

Here's my two-penneth as I understand it (and I use that term very loosely - finance is not my strong point :-)

This isn't about profit tax, this is about Value Added Tax. Your subs pays for your membership and for the Courier magazine. The face value of the magazine is £3.50. Every magazine sent out is free for members, as they've already paid for it. As this is a printed material, like a book, it is VAT free. That means that the £3.50 x 12 should not attract any VAT. So of your membership subs each year, £38 is VAT free and the club can claim that part of the VAT we'd otherwise have to pay back again. Obviosuly all that too-ing and fro-ing of VAT all comes out in the wash, but if the club didn't produce the mag we'd have to put the subs up because the tax man would take 20% of all of the subs in VAT, rather than a much smaller percentage

tom

Thanks Gents. That confirms what I was thinking. I do agree with JohnD that an on line version could be done in parallel, indeed I doubt that there is any reason why the Courier will not be posted on-line shortly for on demand downloading. That should make everyone reasonably happy, including the tax authorities!!

I wasn't party to the initial postings on this thread (apparently that's a good thing as some people were being utterly nasty and narrow minded I understand) but I campaigned to the CoM to make these available and I can let you know the CoM's view:

The printed magazine is one of the crown jewels of our club and will continue. Past issues will be made available online to everyone, the public included, as it demonstrates why this is probably the best Triumph club and certainly one of the best classic car clubs around to prospective new members. The CoM would like International Members to get the ability to view an online version of the magazine at publication point as geography often delays them from getting their hands on theirs, but this would be behind the 'login here' member's only bit.

So, we will probably end up with the courier archive available online for everyone but that recent copies will only be available to club members online. This will be in parallel to, and subserviant to, the printed magazine continuing to be sent out to all members. 

It is early days on the online Courier and it isn't as sexy and easy to search as it could be yet, largely because of the sheer weight and volume of the back copies. It is the intention that searching and indexing access will improve over the coming months

tom
CoM member

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

£3.5 x 12 x memberships + £££££££££££££££

So somewhere in the order of £35K (or more) of the membership subscription payments that stays within the Club to the benefit of the members instead of going to the taxman.

When Sky first started up in the late 80's they included a listings magazine as part of the monthly subscription - the magazine was a very poor copy of the Radio Times and was absolutely cr@p.  It had a cover price that was about 50% of the monthly subscription.  With several million subscriptions, the savings to Sky was millions of pounds a year.

As I get older I find myself getting more and more like my father. He would always (politely) refuse to 'Gift Aid' any of his many charitable donations on the principle that the Taxman would make just as good use of the money funding schools, hospitals, emergency services etc. I'm not suggesting that the club changes anything in its arrangements but it does make me a little uncomfortable that the Taxman is helping to fund our car club.

Oh dear, shall I join the others from this thread (don't know who they are) on the naughty step.

Adrian

• Haha 1