Leaf Spring Refurbishment

20 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes just thinking out the box .

also a high front gives a low back 

I understand mate and I appreciate you racking your brains.

IMG_0422.thumb.JPG.34e62a17d20f3c5aa87fcb743ca00a1a.JPG221789364_IMG_0421(2).thumb.JPG.665699cae0490fccfc5048acc387c0cb.JPG

These are the most side on pics I have, the front might look a little high but to you but I was thinking it looked high because the back was low.

Everything front end is original........

1738927904_2016-06-2417_24_00.jpg.a5fbc9994119211d364fe0853ded4933.jpg

This has been jet washed since this pic. I'd meant to start painting and refurbing stuff but I'm always so busy and when I go to the car I just take it out for a spin :)

Update: After a few phone calls to GB Springs I managed to eventually speak with someone and they are sorting me a new spring although I had to send him pics of both to prove they were different. It may take a couple of weeks to replace so I'll update you once the new one arrives.

They want to collect the old one asap so as long as they confirm everything in an email first I have no issues with that happening before my replacement arrives.

Whats a few more weeks eh? 😥

SP

5 minutes ago, johny said:

Did they give any explanation of how this mess has happened?

Nooooo. It was more like 'how do you know the spring is for a Mk4?'

At least it's moving forward now, Im assuming he will have to make the mk3 spring because he asked for measurements off the old one

SP

They've had a Mk4 Spitfire in and copied that spring. Then they "assumed" - since they have no desire to be experts on Triumphs - that all Spitfires are the same. SP has now informed them otherwise, though whether they will bother to remember for future reference is another question.

Glad things are underway, to getting sorted out. Make sure that you are ready for when it turns up, with the correct studs and mounting plate stuff. When I had my problems, ironically in this case, it turned out that a MkIII spring had been somehow fitted in mine so none of the fitting plates were right. As it was, the fitter still managed to b*gger it up, even with the correct hardware, along with both haynes and workshop manuals.

I've just took a better look at his website.

1704075896_Screenshot2020-06-30at15_41_08.png.016143174214438879abab6f3dc68e3f.png

IMG_2185.thumb.JPG.4fcaa68da3636c212642732f13cf2811.JPG

I've emailed him and asked if he has to make one specially does he want me to just have a refund and I'll buy one elsewhere.

SP

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.41.08.png

i get the feeling we are constantly bombarded with the institute of incompetence doesnt matter if its spare parts the gas bill or covid excuses 

there is no escape  from             'youre only the customer '  they should be telling you not the other way round so you solve their  hic ups ( well !!!!! ups)

Pete

Hello All,

GB Springs are collecting the incorrect spring for a full refund, Canley Classics are delivering a new spring today, hopefully I'll have it fitted sometime over the weekend if I can find the time.

Hopefully all's well that...... SHUT UP SP, YOU'll JINX IT!

SP

SP - Good move. Before you start to fit, photograph it all and post it here so we can all see what you have before you start with it. Then it goes in first time, no missing bits, no wrong parts and no threats to scrap the car!! Good luck,

There was a batch of badly made swing axle springs doing the rounds the eye on the second leaf is to big, it should be a tight fit to the main leaf eye. In some cars i.e Vitesse it pressed on the rear brake hydraulic line not a good idea, read of people being advised to cut it off which leaves the bottom leaf not properly supported.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200703_164704.jpg

IMG_20200703_164714.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

a swinger on a vitesse should have a added bracket and short pipe re route to keep the eye away from the brake pipe ,

without it a hole will soon appear, certainly the canley kit includes a new bracket and instructions where to fit .

Pete

Quite agree, but it's not a swing spring I'm talking about just badly made standard spring.

Regards

Paul