GT6 mk 3 overdrive Speedo cable

There is some evolution on cables over the years 

And the  drive squares change size as the design gets younger therenis also a flattened end which drives from the diagonals

Both speedo  and rev counter use  the same smiths drivehead  the variance will be agism not whether its speedo or tacho

Best place would be speedy cables ,  send it back as incorrect stock to model 

Pete

Donsnt the head end inner  normally have a crimp on ferrule to control its position ,  so it only fits  one way   ??    IE 

you can only  withdraw the inner from  the head end  ??? Or is that a dream 

Do make sure you have a 7/16" simple washer between angle drive and speedo pinion to make sure there is not pre load on the angledrive primary drive.

Pete

The tachometer cables I've got are a different size inner and fitting to the speedo; they're not interchangeable. Even though internally when you look at the frame head they're almost identical.

The inner on the tachometer measures 0.1 " square and on the speedo 0.125" square. The Delco Remy drive is 0.1". Both have a crimp on ferrule at the head end.

The tachometer in the picture is Triumph whilst the speedo head is Mini - but this has the same fitting as the Triumph speedo, got it out to check.

David

image20190601_104311551.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mad4classics said:

The tachometer cables I've got are a different size inner and fitting to the speedo;

Ah, I see what you mean! So the black cable appears to have a smaller inner than the grey one, but both of them have two different knurled nuts, whereas the tacho cable on my Spitfire (the last one I changed) has large knurled nuts at both ends. I'm pretty sure I have seen the small inner on a speedo cable for a Mk2 Spitfire, so maybe that was something they changed in the mid-60s?

before they went to clip on orrible things .

my 2000 has a small knurled nut,  head end an thats a mind of its own , long fingers  no room, 

always add a tyrap to the outer  so the nut doesnt slide all back down the cable  just as you need to twiddle it 

Pete

32 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

before they went to clip on orrible things .

Very handy for fitting, as I found on the TR7 - just plug in, and no fumbling about trying to start threads and tighten things up under the dash.

Removal is a completely different kettle of fish, but then I don't suppose they had that in mind at the start.

47 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

like the bungy and Zeus   an  always useful pocket bible

Pete

Pete,

Have had the Zeus book a long time, one of the first things on the list I was given to buy before starting my apprenticeship. The companies whose logos are on the back are long gone.

David

13 hours ago, Mad4classics said:

Think the black one is actually a tachometer cable. Have you tried the fit on the distributor?

David

Top marks to you David. It is indeed a tacho cable. I’ll keep it anyway as I’ve already fitted the grommet for the bulkhead. 

• 8 months later...
On 01/06/2019 at 09:47, Pete Lewis said:

Donsnt the head end inner  normally have a crimp on ferrule to control its position ,  so it only fits  one way   ??    IE 

you can only  withdraw the inner from  the head end  ??? Or is that a dream 

Do make sure you have a 7/16" simple washer between angle drive and speedo pinion to make sure there is not pre load on the angledrive primary drive.

Pete

Just a standard thickness, plain washer? 

Pete Lewis has just given great info on how to reduce or extend the inner cables protrusion by shortening or stretching the outer cable refer "Engine-New Noise- Pete Lewis post today".

The method is to grip the outer and twist the spiral winding clockwise or anticlockwise to achieve the inner protrusion required.

Buried that one in the back of my memory Pete to be shared with other club members, thanks.

Peter T

strangely this fix came about on the production line , cabs would be hoisted across from the cab line and if not hooked out the way the speedo 

cable could get caught on the conveyor track and by the time the chassis caught up with the cab ready to drop on the cable got pulled and stretched  ended up with insufficient inner to drive the instruments , the twist the case rectification came from all this  a better fix than route a replacement .  simple  really    

pete