Vitesse Mk2 steering question

Gully,

I have bought some good stuff in Halfords, but this is pretty poor, I opened it up this afternoon and it is Micky Mouse. I feel bad having recommended it to Uncle Pete for his raffle and having bought two for my son-in-laws. However, the sockets are good enough and I've ordered a Draper 1/4" ratchet, so all is not lost.

Doug

Doug,

Take it back.    Halfords give a 'no-questions' guarantee on their tools, which I, and others here, have used.       I agree, a set of tools for £10 WILL be rubbish, but it does carry the Halfords name.    However, they will replace it with another the same, which won't do much good.      Treat it as expensive experience, although not very expensive.

And try and get a Halfords Trade Card.      Big discounts on lots of maintenance kit, inc. tools.    Apply on their website, and all you need to do is say you are a "mechanic", which any Triumph owner can claim!   Buy Halfords "Advanced" tools, which many professionals rate as good as Snap-On!

John

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, clive said:

I have the older version of that 1/4 drive set, clear top cover to the case.

And it has been doing a lot of work recently. Only complaint is one of the screws holding the ratchet together had disappeared, but it is holding together. A visit to namrick is required!

I'm being unfair to Halfords given that my Metric socket set is celebrating 25 years of hard use in my garage, but like Clive I'm down to one screw out of three on the original ratchet. Is there a proper name for this type of screw so that I can order some? It's 18mm long with a threaded section of 7mm. I know it's a countersunk flathead socket screw, but it's also shouldered, so asking in the hope someone has the exact name.

DSCF7261.jpg.9967768e2730fcd45ee0015d51f725c2.jpg DSCF7264.jpg.5ab7cbb39ca75fd3f7ec1d480503ebd9.jpg

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'm being unfair to Halfords given that my Metric socket set is celebrating 25 years of hard use in my garage, but like Clive I'm down to one screw out of three on the original ratchet. Is there a proper name for this type of screw so that I can order some? It's 18mm long with a threaded section of 7mm. I know it's a countersunk flathead socket screw, but it's also shouldered, so asking in the hope someone has the exact name.

DSCF7261.jpg.9967768e2730fcd45ee0015d51f725c2.jpg DSCF7264.jpg.5ab7cbb39ca75fd3f7ec1d480503ebd9.jpg

Colin, I am off on holiday for 3 weeks tomorrow (not  in a Triumph, but if the hire company have got their act together a 'stang V8)

On my return I can pop down to Namricks and see what they have, can pop some in an envelope.... but you WILL need to remind me.

Just a thought, has a new steering rack been fitted? I recently put a new rack and tie rod assembly on my GT6 and because I had trouble finding a reconditioned one, I got an aftermarket complete unit. As well as having a sealed allen bolt where there is normally the shimmed adjustment, the ball joints to the tie rods were stiff. This made the steering stiffer (as oposed to just heavier- ie it is still stiff when jacked off the ground and it also affects the self centring). If yours is not heavy when jacked I guess it's not this. 

Rather than dismantle again to try and remedy, I decided to live with it, as the steering is otherwise much better. It seems to be improving with time, or I'm getting stronger!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same Halfords Ratchet(s) both 3/8" and 1/4" and they have survived some 20 years at a Guess.. The Halfords "boast" was IF they failed they would replace lifetime!. (so worth a Try?)

Found this trawling for a Long ago Post on Power Steering Conversions. Any Idea`s where it is?.

On 18/09/2019 at 11:33, Colin Lindsay said:

I think that's a "Torx" drive bolt.    Would some of these replace the originals: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50pcs-M2-5-M3-M4-Countersunk-Flat-Head-Torx-Drive-Machine-Screws-Bolts-Hot-im/383183966106?hash=item59378b4f9a:m:mUGAHbOE6CQEKUGsuUNfw0 ?

John

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

One of the screws on mine started to come out some years back. I put it back home with Superglue on the threads, So far not happened again.

I could have glued mine in if they hadn't fallen out when I wasn't looking, and so are long gone now.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I think some of those might do, John, if I don't really need the shouldered part and I could probably live without it as long as the threads hold. They're the important bit. I'll be over at the in-laws Engineering Works tomorrow and will get them to confirm the threads and the size. I might even be able to scrounge one or two locally rather than buy a pack of 50 and have 48 spares, but you've confirmed the type.