Vitesse Mk2 steering question

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Being quick keeps you slim !!!!   Well     you know 

but up the steps rewiring the blown line to the parrot cabin and lost trousers round me ankles, cant let go of the cables and cant get down the steps with manacles.

Help

Pete

Sounds like the wrong website again Pete??

I have bought individual 'metrinch' spanners and imperial sockets off fleabay to make up losses. Metrinch arn't everyones cup of tea but they work for me. I have a full set in the garage (combis and sockets) and combis in the car boot, just in case

29 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, I've had the blank stare.  :mellow:

My local Car Parts Shop - High Street thumpitty speaker and air freshener standard - actually had male brake pipe ends this morning and more importantly in M10 long. It was an amazed rather than blank stare; he says it's years since he sold any of those; they also have imperial spanners and sockets if you look hard enough so some tools are still available offline. Amazing!

Fleabay is probably you're best bet to pick up good used AF spanners. But don't think they're not still available. Gedore tools in Germany produce some good stuff, just seems UK is must be metric. Depends how much you want to spend.

https://www.gedoretools.co.uk/gedore-6091450-7-08-a-combination-spanner-set-8-pcs-ud-profile-3-8-1.html

David

1 hour ago, bfashbolt said:

Thinking I'll wait for the next auto-jumble event near me, one in Clitheroe soon I believe, I may have an old tool bag with some Imperial spanners at the back of the understairs cupboard. I'll see if I can get in there!

There used to be car boot sales at the cattle market outside Clitheroe, many years ago though....

Tony.

Thinking I'll wait for the next auto-jumble event near me, one in Clitheroe soon I believe, I may have an old tool bag with some Imperial spanners at the back of the understairs cupboard. I'll see if I can get in there!

Yes, huge car boot still happens near Clitheroe, well remembered! I'll get over for a look☺

Boot sales are the way forward. Spanners 10-20p a pop, and quality ones usually.

When I had all my spanners stolen (they left everything else, thankfully,) I bought a draper set off eBay that was metric and had imperial. But I have plenty of others, ring, combination, open ended etc etc as well as a set of the cheap Aldi/Lidl ratchet spanners in metric, and halford imperial ratchets. 

As to sockets, I like my little 1/4" drive set for small stuff, especially interiors. But my old rent ,3/8 set does almost everything. The 1/2 set rarely appears these days.

if you use an impact gun you need to look at powerdrive black finish sockets.

ive got two battery 3/8drives   a powerhand 10 yrs old and going well     and a Homebase Guild   with lithium battery in sale about a year ago  for...............£8

went back to buy the whole stock but they had disappeared .  

Pete

21 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

You have a local car part shop?!! It must be down to living in a historic back water (adrift in the Atlantic :lol:) We have Halfords. :(

Doug

Halfords... don't they sell bicycles and tents? :) (and for the really mechanically minded - air fresheners)

We have some real timewarps over here, and it's a great thing too. Up until a few years back we had a great garage run by a real gentleman called Isaac McKnight, the storeroom of his premises was like going back in time. He was able to sell me Herald parts straight off the shelves. I think I bought his entire stock of Stromberg diaphragms. Sadly after he passed away the place changed hands and I've no idea of where all the stock went but the building was flattened. In Fermanagh the preferred garage was run by a man called Dessie Woods and his wife could quote you sparkplugs and oil filters for almost any Triumph model from memory, and pick them straight off the shelves - he may still be there; certainly the garage still is. Currently we have another good one in Banbridge where one of the counter men is Polish and he's an absolute mine of parts and alternative fitments, but sadly only for cars from about 1990 onwards. If you ever find a good local place like that, do anything you can to keep it open, as you'll miss them when they go.

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

A warning.

I bought these from Halfords was £25 reduced to £10. There's a reason why it's £10, It's rubbish!  the ratchet failed 2nd or 3rd time I used it. I haven't opened it up yet but I suspect there's cheap plastic inside.

socket.PNG.206bc9313b1092f522166a5d0ee04409.PNG

Doug

I have a Halfords 3/8 socket set that was bought for me as a birthday present in August 1989, shortly after I bought my first car. The ratchet looks exactly the same as the one in that picture (aside from an older logo). It's survived being heavily used and abused for 30 years and still works as well as the day it was new. You may have just been unlucky...

I will admit to being an unashamed Halfords fan. Okay, I had a weekend job working for them when I was doing my A levels and used to work for them at Christmas when I came home from poly, so have an historic connection with them, but I welcome the fact that they've maintained a good spread of stores where you can actually see, feel, touch and smell the tools, paints etc you are buying. Yes, they've diversified and like any shop you need to be selective on quality, but there are few shops you can walk to on a Sunday lunchtime when you need an imperial Allen key set! eBay and the web won't help! Rarely does a week go by without me browsing and buying something in there.

Gully

Yes, huge car boot still happens near Clitheroe, well remembered! I'll get over for a look☺

I really don't mind using Halfords, lots of small independents around Lancashire though. Definitely going to car boots and auto jumbles when they pop up.

Going way, way back to the original topic, I have found two classic car fitms near me, one in Accrington one half way up Pendle Hill in Sabden. Both say I can drop in and they'll lift the front and have a look at the steering, both passed the test of knowing it was oil not grease for front trunnions! Ordered grease nipples from Rimmer's and will get some EP90. The plan is to watch his the guy checks the trunnions and learn how to do it myself!!