Chrome bumpers

Tanky

Hi all,

I've just had a quote from a local company in Cardiff of £750.00 to have my bumpers re-chromed. Ouch! Any ideas? I've had a call around but no one seems to do new chrome bumpers.....Where would I get a pair and does anyone Know how much they would set me back....

Many thanks oh wise one's....

Charlie

Your options are either a good breakers for second-hand ones, have yours rechromed, or go for stainless.

I heard that having an old pair rechromed is often preferable to buying a new set, as the metal they're based on is never as good as the original and some are woeful (see the photo); but you need to find a good reputable rechroming company and they can be expensive - try a few online quotes and see who offers what.

I know members have been singing the praises of stainless versions on here, so they seem good.

The photo shows a brand new rear overrider for my Herald, bought from a reputable supplier, and fitted to a car that never left the garage due to a stalled restoration. After ten years in a garage it looks like this, whereas original ones have lasted fifty years with no pitting at all.

DSCF6628.jpg.ccccc5c697cf452d2e0cdfa85d3e1d31.jpg

Triple plated is now usually the norm.

Copper first to cover the steel and allow for imperfections to be polished out.
Nickle to seal the the copper/Steel.

Then the chrome.

The big problem with Chrome direct to the steel subsurface is that the chrome is not a complete homogeneous coating.  It is made up of little 'islands'.

So moisture can easily pass through and then the steel goes rusty.

This can also happen with a copper base as the copper can have very thin areas where. the moisture enters.

If you are near West Londoin try Colonnade Metal Finishing bext to the Wembly stadium.

Or, try an industrial plating shop - they often have an unpublised classic car facility (hush hush).

Roger

55 minutes ago, RogerH said:

If you are near West Londoin try Colonnade Metal Finishing bext to the Wembly stadium.

Not sure that he is - his avatar says Cardiff.

Derby Plating (based in Derby) is very good but not cheap and with regret, that will be a common theme when you come to get quotes.

hush hush plating...remember we had a copper plating plant to protect things like threads from getting heat treated  it spent a lot of its time plating ashtrays and all sorts

of car rocker covers and  bits and pieces 

all  these antics   were a by product of the industrial scene we used to have 

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2019 at 15:21, poppyman said:

just bought a new pair so was going to try this wrap on the rusted out old pair after filling in the holes

• Like 1

Try ST Chrome in Bristol.  I had a complete set of bumpers and overriders for my Mk 1 Spitfire rechromed for just over £700.  Not cheap, I know but a fantastic finish.  Weigh that against a new set for £900 ( + vat ) and the quality is just not the same as originals.  Happy hunting.

• 2 weeks later...