What undercoat?

Back in my day, 80's WAXOIL was the top undercoat. Almost ready to put the rear diff and back on and seems a shame not to give the old girl a blast of wax above the axel. It's sti got the original paint and looks nice and clean. But as it's going to be my daily runabout it's going to get a bit salty and wet up there this winter. Any opinions be much appreciated

IMG_20190929_111917957.jpg

IMG_20190929_111912514.jpg

I could write a whole essay on this!

I would regard classic Waxoyl as outdated: It's tiresome to use and has absolutely no creep.

In areas subject to impact (wheel arches for example) Hammerite's Underbody Seal With Added Waxoyl is excellent - gives a very heavy coat that doesn't dry out and flake like standard underseal. Brush on or spray cans. Bit messy.

Where protecting seams is the main issue I spray WD40 into the seam first (expel water, maximum creep) and then follow on immediately with Dinitrol MT (excellent creep but the coat is thin).

My 'economy buy' is Supertol 500ml spray cans. At less than £5 per can it's a snip: Medium thick and medium creep and dead easy to use. Ok for general surface protection but not tough enough for high impact areas. ACF/Bilt etc are excellent in their own rights but for 'jobbing' use Supertrol wins out on price.

And if I had one word (or sentence)  of advice on 'stickies'  it would be : Seams First, Cavities Second, Surfaces Third.

Cheers

C

• Like 1

That's brilliant chris I've got compreser and a nice spray gun. Car still not back together yet as garage roof collapsed in that monsoon so been doing urgent repairs on that instead. Would like to get this underneath sealing right and proper, as this Spits going to be used daily during the whole year.

Thanks again great advice

On 15/10/2019 at 22:34, chrishawley said:

In areas subject to impact (wheel arches for example) Hammerite's Underbody Seal With Added Waxoyl is excellent - gives a very heavy coat that doesn't dry out and flake like standard underseal. Brush on or spray cans. Bit messy.

I use it on wheelarches; as you say very messy and gets everywhere (tints my grey hair to a lovely dark shade!) but lasts for years. Wear elbow-length gloves at the very least and cover the floor well under the area you're coating; you can end up walking it all over the place on the soles of your shoes.