Which glue?

Colin Lindsay

I was working in the footwell of the GT6 when I straightened up and in doing so hit my head off the indicator stalk, which promptly snapped off. I have replacements ok but as I have the column-mounted overdrive this lever is cranked to allow more room between the two stalks, and I'd like to try to repair it. I tried to glue it with Superglue, which didn't work, and Evostick, which also didn't work. I think I need to find some kind of glue that will bond the nylon block back together, unless the old faithful Gorilla Glue will suffice? (Have to buy some then!) 

Any recommendations?

DSCF7473.jpg.867fb3278f43d1c987aa30f68ebfb9d1.jpg DSCF7475.jpg.0c58b5d5b5bb1769cae823ca6522375b.jpg

Hi Colin,

you should have asked the question before attempting to use anything.

The correct Superglue with an activator may have worked - but I suspect not now as the surface is contaminated with other stuff.

Gorilla may work, but!!

A quality Araldite stands a chance.

However Nylon is a pig to work with due to its oily nature.

Roger

Agree with Roger about difficult of gluing nylon.    You need another approach.

The nylon block had a boss which has broken off with the stalk, but the hole for the stalk looks deeper than the stalk needed, originally.     Cut off that boss, and implant the stalk in the block, if necessary - and of course very carefully! - drilling it deeper.   A tight fit and some barbs - grooves cut with a junior hacksaw, or fine file might do - on the stalk, plus Araldite may fix the stalk in.      

Good luck!

John

Par for the course, I'm afraid, Roger. Break it, attempt repairs and if THAT doesn't work, then ask. I think John's on the ball - I'll trim both faces flat and expose a lot more stalk, and then glue the longer stem back in with Araldite. If it works, great, if not thankfully I've a few replacements salted away.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

I have the same feelings with WD40.

Roger

Never tried sticking anything with WD40, but I did recently get Gorilla Glue down between a fingernail and the skin beneath and it caused me no end of bother. I used it recently to fill holes in ceilings where inset lights were removed - cut a circle of plasterboard the same size, wet it, coat the edge with Gorilla Glue and push into place. Once plastered it was completely invisible. The biggest problem with the stuff is the expansion; it can push parts apart if left unclamped. 

As for Araldite... I once lost a front crown and in desperation Araldited it back in place long enough for me to attend an official function, after which it was off to the dentist and it came out again surprisingly easily when required to...

agree with removing the nylon off the arm but have you tried JB Weld takes time to set but very good, and provided you have a mold assembly it can be built up, can be drilled and tapped when set or filed so sets hard.

If I'm really in trouble I've used a motor bike fairing two pak repair kit, its great small packet and expensive ($80 here) repaired my sons Alfa interior door handle assembly with it and it lasted years, comes with a molding compound too which is  reusable I'll look up the name when its daylight and I go in the garage.

Peter T

Can't speak on "Plastex", but Gorilla is great for glass fibre repairs, precisely because of its expansion.  Forces its way into the weave of the glass fibre, like you should do with resin, but without the work!    Needs to be clamped, but a G, or a drilled hole (filled later) a bolt and a compression plate does that.     Fills defects too!

John

Cheapest I've found Plastex is £18.99 online (that's a small kit)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Repair-Kit-Plastex-Acrylic-Small-Repair-Kit/163663297391?hash=item261b17bb6f:g:2FMAAOxyrrpTi3R4

Never thought of Gorilla for fibreglass John; I've almost finished a hard top for my 1200 and was looking at strengthening some of the mounting points. That's given me something to experiment with.

Plast-Aid works well. It's the 2 part powder/solvent stuff. Starts off liquid, then goes maluable like putty and finally sets hard. Especially good on hard plastics that other glues don't grab very well or for fabricating small plastic items or snapped off bits.