Clear Hooters

aggie

I'm having a problem with the horns on my Spitfire 4.  They are the original " Clear Hooters " which have not been used in anger for a number of years but, here's the point.  They work perfectly well off the car or, indeed, on the car if you connect them directly to a battery.  Very loud too !  However, when connected as they should be only the high tone horn works when the horn button is pressed and then only if the low tone horn is disconnected.  When both are connected neither works.  I have checked the wiring and there are no high resistance points.  I should say that the wiring diagram in the workshop manual shows the horns are connected via a relay but, this is not the case.  They are actually wired as per the diagram for a Vitesse i.e.  one side of the horns permanently live with the other side being earthed when the horn push is operated.  Any ideas please?

Possibly poor earthing. The hornpush earths through the little pencil, down the column, and the there should be a wire bridging across the steering  joint. And I believe ab=nother earthing the steering rack itself.

The way to check the earthing is to try bypassing the hornpush etc. Use a length of wire attached to the purple wire coming up to the steering column, and earth it somewhere. If they work OK then you know what the issue is.

28 minutes ago, poppyman said:

We are talking horns Doug.......  

Yes, I was just on the point of getting one. From my store, that is, to check how they perform firstly in series then in parallel, just to see what  difference it makes.

Otherwise, if one works only when the other is disconnected, and neither when both are connected, then the fault lies in the low tone side of the circuit. Probably, as Clive says, a poor earth or short - can you hear the relay click if you press the horn push and no horns sound?

55 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Right at the beginning Aggie says it doesn't have a relay. 

Try and pay attention at the back Lindsay. :P

db

Sorry, your photo distracted me a bit. I'm still trying to make out the television programme.

So we're talking about a relay involving hooters... I'm all ears.

agree they are brilliant hooters ,   scare cats dogs and old ladies,,............. 100% all hooter and very compact.    you still need a relay with one of these 

I have   had two over the years ..

I did keep a pair of truck 3ft  chrome  trumpet air horns but you needed a big reservoir to provide the volume required... never mind a compressor thought of pre charging a tank but it all got a bit silly  ....... these little units make a right racket 

Pete

On 23/02/2020 at 10:37, clive said:

Possibly poor earthing. The hornpush earths through the little pencil, down the column, and the there should be a wire bridging across the steering  joint. And I believe ab=nother earthing the steering rack itself.

The way to check the earthing is to try bypassing the hornpush etc. Use a length of wire attached to the purple wire coming up to the steering column, and earth it somewhere. If they work OK then you know what the issue is.

100% correct, I've just replaced both on mine. I couldn't even see the lower one until I jet washed the bottom of the column / rack.

SP 

if fitting to a modern with ecu /can bus and whatever would operating a relay instead of the awful bleating lamb horn fitted to most moderns allow you to 

stop being embarrassed  at tooting   a Baaa   and fit a  rooting tooting blaster on a relay ???

done this on my 06 megane but things have got more complicated in 19  with more ecu controllers  on board 

any views 

Pete

What ever happened to the life shortening air horns I used to put on my cars when I was a teenager. One blast at a zebra crossing would reduce the life expectancy of any unsuspecting granny in an instant. The horn on my Spitfire is laughable so I was actually thinking of replacing it with a blaster from the past.

SP

2 hours ago, s99sdp said:

What ever happened to the life shortening air horns I used to put on my cars when I was a teenager. One blast at a zebra crossing would reduce the life expectancy of any unsuspecting granny in an instant. The horn on my Spitfire is laughable so I was actually thinking of replacing it with a blaster from the past.

SP

The Stebel horns are excellently loud. They do a range, but as the thread, I have a nautilus. Suitably loud enough to scare  grannies and children. And my MoT man.