Camber compensator for Triumph Herald 13 60

17 hours ago, Steve P said:

One on E bay at the moment from Triumph Recycler.

Steve

Thanks @Steve P!! Is it this one? There are just recently a few added.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-REAR-ANTI-ROLL-BAR-HERALD-VITESSE-GT6-SPITFIRE-TRIUMPHTUNE-MODIFICATION/352711033763?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D226055%26meid%3D2fe6c7bb25f84609ad1a59cc68fc6e43%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D174222548130%26itm%3D352711033763%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Filter%26brand%3DTriumph&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Seems to be an anti roll bar that they're suggesting be attached to the boot floor (rather than the diff as I saw for camber compensators), guess it does a similar job though? 

Anyone have experience of rear anti roll bar vs camber compensator vs courier spring??

Thanks for flagging it @Steve P

Never knew they existed, presumably ends bolt to bottom shock absorber mount and from the text you would need to source front anti roll bar mounts, there are two sizes, to fasten to boot floor.

Wonder if anyone on the forum has ever used them.

Quick search found this.

https://club.triumph.org.uk/menu/6023/item/157985/view

Regards

Paul

16 minutes ago, jiggawhat2k said:

Seems to be an anti roll bar that they're suggesting be attached to the boot floor (rather than the diff as I saw for camber compensators), guess it does a similar job though?

No. An anti-roll bar does almost exactly the opposite job to a camber compensator.

Anti-roll bars resist roll by trying to force both sides to the same height, but don't care what that height is. So if the left side tries to compress up into the wheel arch, the anti-roll bar pushes the right side up into its wheel arch to reduce body roll.

Camber compensators resist plunge by providing an extra (quite stiff) spring leaf, but are pivoted in the middle so that they don't resist roll. If the left side tries to compress up into the wheel arch, the camber compensator pushes the right side down, out of its wheel arch, thus discouraging tuck-under. It's very much the same theory as the swing spring - if the lateral forces on the tyre are trying to lift one side of the car, it tries to drop the other side, thus putting more weight on the side that's being lifted, and resisting that lift. It won't discourage body roll - in fact it will encourage it - but if the front of the car has enough roll resistance it will combat the tendency of swing-axle suspension to jack up when cornering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NonMember said:

No. An anti-roll bar does almost exactly the opposite job to a camber compensator.

Anti-roll bars resist roll by trying to force both sides to the same height, but don't care what that height is. So if the left side tries to compress up into the wheel arch, the anti-roll bar pushes the right side up into its wheel arch to reduce body roll.

Camber compensators resist plunge by providing an extra (quite stiff) spring leaf, but are pivoted in the middle so that they don't resist roll. If the left side tries to compress up into the wheel arch, the camber compensator pushes the right side down, out of its wheel arch, thus discouraging tuck-under. It's very much the same theory as the swing spring - if the lateral forces on the tyre are trying to lift one side of the car, it tries to drop the other side, thus putting more weight on the side that's being lifted, and resisting that lift. It won't discourage body roll - in fact it will encourage it - but if the front of the car has enough roll resistance it will combat the tendency of swing-axle suspension to jack up when cornering.

Thanks @NonMember makes sense.

I'm looking to reduce tuck as the primary objective so it sounds like a camber compensator/stiff leaf spring/swing spring make the most sense

23 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Never knew they existed, presumably ends bolt to bottom shock absorber mount and from the text you would need to source front anti roll bar mounts, there are two sizes, to fasten to boot floor.

Wonder if anyone on the forum has ever used them.

Quick search found this.

https://club.triumph.org.uk/menu/6023/item/157985/view

Regards

Paul

Cheers Paul, that link seemed to come to the conclusion they probably aren't the best for usable handling outside of a track, interesting article

I bought a TriumphTune rear anti roll bar for my Vitesse in about 1988,never fitted it.

From memory it bolts to the upright and there are 2 U clamps and rubbers that mount through the boot floor.

Still in my garage in the box somewhere.

Steve

58 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I bought a TriumphTune rear anti roll bar for my Vitesse in about 1988,never fitted it.

From memory it bolts to the upright and there are 2 U clamps and rubbers that mount through the boot floor.

Steve

Sounds like one of those must haves which never get used, I have some of them.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

Steve

I seem to recall that John Griffiths had one fitted to his MK2 Vitesse years ago when he used to hillclimb it.

Gav

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Sounds like one of those must haves which never get used, I have some of them.

Regards

Paul

I have loads of those from when TT still had a shop in Richmond(Surrey).

I have the TT lowered and de-cambered spring on my Vitesse, and was happy back then with the stance and handling,its like a go cart.

Thinking am i too old for a lowered car now?.(54)

Steve

Vitesse.jpg

1 minute ago, Steve P said:

I have loads of those from when TT still had a shop in Richmond(Surrey).

I have the TT lowered and de-cambered spring on my Vitesse, and was happy back then with the stance and handling,its like a go cart.

Thinking am i too old for a lowered car now?.(54)

Steve

54!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a youngster, I'm going to be under house arrest soon.

Regards

Paul 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, daverclasper said:

Is that Respectful, or oldies with face lifts bitching?.

Dave

Could be either. However they generally have a lot more respect for the Older generation than we do. Took me by surprise to be addressed as Sir on a regular basis. Virtually all public officials, and people ranging from teens (unheard of here!) to 50 yr old friends and neighbours of my son.

19 minutes ago, PeteH said:

However they generally have a lot more respect for the Older generation than we do. Took me by surprise to be addressed as Sir on a regular basis.

I don't think that's an "older generation" thing. Americans are generally far more in the habit of being respectfully polite to strangers and many will address most adult males as "sir" by default.

18 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Yes, I've had that even in UK and tried not to take it too personally (I'm 60), though maybe it's a less commonly used in in UK and Americans use it for less old people (he sais optimistically, though it seems like folk are just being nice )   

19 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Took me by surprise to be addressed as Sir on a regular basis.

14 hours ago, PeteH said:

The ones posting at all hours of the day (and night) are the "Veterans" as our US cousins call us.

Pete

As a young 'retiree' (I'm going to stop referring to myself as a pensioner!) it's great to be able to go online when the majority of others are at work, as the Net really slows down in the evenings; most of the work I do now is either early mornings or evenings with the rest of the day free for garage or other things. Finish one job, kettle on, coffee and forum surf, then on to the next... but I think we'll see a surge in posts over the next while as more people self-isolate thereby spending more time in the garage and the forum.

I'm now working from home as the office has closed, means i have a lot more time to work on the Herald, ticked off plenty of jobs this week. 

One of them was fitting a 1" lowering block! 

I'm pleased with it, I like cars low!! Got it onto a the back of a flat bed (tight squeeze but made it with no scratches) and it goes on and off my drive no problem. Has Gaz dampers on the rear and coilovers on the front.

976106863_WhatsAppImage2020-03-19at12_00.25PM(1).thumb.jpeg.f0f892b35b38d5ec1edc2a6747dfdb26.jpeg

1435523684_WhatsAppImage2020-03-19at12_00.25PM(2).thumb.jpeg.69a1892fb358a44acd38956bd30dfac1.jpeg

1733422617_WhatsAppImage2020-03-19at12_00_25PM.thumb.jpeg.f5965552e9e94738ee1f57e55ccb8a34.jpeg

Engine goes in on Saturday, as long as the roads don't lock down by then...

• Like 3