What's the name of the thingummybob I need?

Colin Lindsay

Okay - here's the scenario first. My GT6 rear trims are home-made, padded vinyl over hardboard and actually quite good looking, so I want to keep them, but they're also bulky. I have fitted two 6" speakers but the problem over the years was that after a bit of driving they pulled the trims off the car - they're only held in with clips pushed into holes. What I want to do is to find some kind of small plate - about 1" by 2" max - with a threaded bolt through the middle which I can push through the holes and tighten with a wingnut or the like. Because it's between the wood and the vinyl - peel off vinyl, insert plate, reglue vinyl - it needs to be completely flush as any bolt head will be visible; or else just Gorilla glue them to the back of the trim in which case they really do need to be flat.

I know you can buy these but don't know the official name. Any ideas? Too lazy or busy at present to make my own, so want to be able to walk into the local hardware shop and ask. This photo is the closest thing I've seen so far, but would require to be rectangular. Any ideas for a proper name?

mount.jpg

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Threaded metal feet? Why does the base have to be rectangular?

Doug

Because it's closer to the top of the trim so needs a straight edge but has to be broad to spread the load;  a circular one will protrude over the top by the time it's wide enough. Tony's on the right track but those are too thick at the base, i need thin metal ones. I know I've seen them before somewhere, but don't know the name to ask for.

Colin,

My panels keep coming off of their own accord, unaided by speakers, so I’ve bought new clips.

They look the same but are substantially stronger, maybe the old ones are just knackered.

I’m going to replace the lot, only done a few so far as they are an absolute bugger to get in!

Doug

12 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Because it's closer to the top of the trim so needs a straight edge but has to be broad to spread the load;  a circular one will protrude over the top by the time it's wide enough. Tony's on the right track but those are too thick at the base, i need thin metal ones. I know I've seen them before somewhere, but don't know the name to ask for.

Use the round ones but trim them flat on the offending edge?

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Colin,

My panels keep coming off of their own accord, unaided by speakers, so I’ve bought new clips.

They look the same but are substantially stronger, maybe the old ones are just knackered.

I’m going to replace the lot, only done a few so far as they are an absolute bugger to get in!

Doug

Mine come off on corners and have actually broken the backing wood - thin ply - so they need substantial support. The holes in the bodywork are there and I've found that with the speaker removed I can get my arm in behind to tighten a wingnut - no room for a spanner, unfortunately - so it's just a matter of finding a suitable length of bolt. A normal bolt is no good - head too small and it will pull through - hence I need the spreader plate to spread the load. I've tried making a few myself but quite time consuming, but I know I've seen the thing I need in shops. I could follow Mjit's suggestion and trim the circular ones but I want as large a plate as possible to hold the trim securely. Another option is a length of metal strip right along the entire length with threads at the right place, using countersunk screws... must go experiment.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

The chap who fitted my Spitfire's interior said that the door trim clips usually supplied with interior trim kits are of very poor quality with no spring force, so they just don't work.

Driver's side trial fitted but the metal plates I used, cut from metal shelf brackets, are too small and too bulky under the vinyl - you can see the distortion above the speaker, and around 12 inches to the left of it along the top edge, where the plate is stretching the vinyl. This is why I need completely flat plate with the threaded section inserted flush. I also need something that will slide to allow the best position. I'll keep looking; in fact just had an idea....

DSCF8034.jpg.13d85a1bb06cb6448c980257c0e4b912.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, they've been recommended before and I've found them to have all sorts of great things - I bought thirty spire clips for the rear lights from them last month and they worked a treat.

I actually went out today, limited myself to an hour as I'm getting garage fatigue from struggling with the same jobs day after day for up to eight or even ten hours throughout the course of the day, and the other trim fitted first time. So did the speaker, which had refused to line up with the mounting holes for days now, so I think the car is getting the message: work with me, or you can sit in a dark garage and think about what you did wrong.

• 7 months later...

Here's another of those 'need one but don't know the correct name' scenarios.

I've repaired a Delaney Gallay heater blower motor to destruction; actually things were going well until I needed to open the case, which took a little bit of pressure until it split and I found that the spherical bronze bush was stuck on the shaft - the reason the motor was not turning - and had now pulled out of the bush housing. It's one of those multi-legged sprung housings and it appears the bush is set in place then the housing is pressed into the case, and retained by four very small lugs. I suspect that if I try to prise it out I'll damage it so if I need a replacement, what's the technical term / proper name? I've tried all sorts of permutations and can't find anything even close.

DBBDA639-93E6-470D-9532-0D56B2E82924_1_105_c.jpg.12e1c17e7da0493ee7d84e725cd6313a.jpg C6D2E6F3-DBF4-4DC6-B932-503A2AE11887_1_105_c.jpg.330972dc78b41ef03fc4fafd761b8f41.jpg

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

self aligning bearing ???

often used on fabricated parts where the boxes dont align well but the shaft needs too    just allows the things the self centre on wonky assemblies 

Pete

No results for that, either, at least not period results. I spoke to a man who restores wiper motors ands he says they're incredibly difficult to get hold of, so if I can find out the proper name it'll be a challenge for an afternoon.

In the meantime I removed my original to destruction; they press in, and will not come out again in the opposite direction so: I had an old motor of something unknown, it had two fans that spin on either side of the central motor, but the housing looked roughly the same. I was able to dismantle it and sacrificed the end of the body by sawing it off so that the bush retainer and felt seal pressed outwards. Exactly the same size as the DG version but seemingly more modern, it fitted first time with gentle help from a socket. Now I have a spare Delaney Gallay heater blower motor. Ain't life grand? :)

1B43C477-9CB8-4D60-8797-1700C4EF75A6_1_105_c.jpg.c9fe92a938c26b59e2a6e219f0831504.jpg 8C986819-133A-4603-91DD-0FA76137A822_1_105_c.jpg.5dd6cf7acaeff22710580066379d033c.jpg

43 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Necessity, is the mother of invention, an Engineer was the Father. Quote? The Chief engineer on my first seagoing voyage!!. As  a "wet behind the ears", Junior Marine Engineer.

Now all I need is for someone to tell me: that two-fan motor was extremely rare and worth far more than your DG motor...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Yes, I've beaten about those bushes over the past few days, tried every permutation from Lucas bronze bush bracket to Bronze bush holder and even old heater motor bronze bush retainer... nowt.