Vitesse radiator fitting

ahebron

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Just looked at Rimmers site they list a different adaptor and bolt for the Mk1 2L and Mk2 2L, that's something I've learnt today.

Regards

Paul 

Paul, Thanks for pointing that out. The Mk2 is the thinnest. The Mk1 is the middle thickness.  Changes were made with the fan and extra clearance was required. If I remember the max thickness is fitted to the Big Saloons.

Dave 

As said I went with no spacer but it does need a great big thick washer  to hold the pulley, bigger than the crank end diameter. Then the advantage of a smaller size fan is that you can position it slightly off centre to give max clearance...

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I can get to mine but can't get materials! Been waiting over a week for fuses, can't get paint, or sandblast medium, but thankfully lots of petrol so greasy bits are all being cleaned.

You'd think with so many people being housebound they'd allow you the materials to do things while you're stuck there...

Strange world now, my friend ordered a bar of phosphor bronze from Germany last week and it arrived 2 days later on standard delivery! 

Paul, I don't think there is one for a Vitesse it's just finding one that fits. Revotec do a slimline fan which is 12" diameter and is only 53mm deep however I don't know if it has enough suck at 1120 cfm/h. Should be powerful enough as Rimmers are selling a Revotec 11" fan for GT6's. Looking at it logically pretty much any reasonable size electric fan will be better than the crank driven fan at say 800 rpm tick over. Once on the move the coolant temperature in my car reduces pretty rapidly.

When I rebuild my block I am thinking of fitting Racetorations lightweight water pump which according to them has a higher pump volume than standard but at £198 I am not sure if it's one of those 'must haves' or it actually works. Anybody fitted one?

Revotec will send you a free template to do trial fits which seem very helpful.

Iain

I have a Spal 11 inch on my Vitesse on an ali rad,never overheats.(See avatar).Only time it crept up near the danger zone last year in hot weather was when i was in a traffic jam and realised the fan wasn`t working,turned out to be a dodgy fuse connection.

Steve

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Iain T said:

Paul, I don't think there is one for a Vitesse it's just finding one that fits. Revotec do a slimline fan which is 12" diameter and is only 53mm deep

The problem is that they usually quote just the maximum depth. The Kenlowe in my Vitesse is fitted so that the motor is in the gap between pulleys, but the blades are under an inch in depth so they clear the crank pulley spacer.

25 minutes ago, NonMember said:

The problem is that they usually quote just the maximum depth. The Kenlowe in my Vitesse is fitted so that the motor is in the gap between pulleys, but the blades are under an inch in depth so they clear the crank pulley spacer.

True, I used the free Revotec template and wasn't at all sure if one would fit.

Do you know what size/model of Kenlowe you fitted?

I notice Quiller Triumph sell Superslim fans and spec a 14" for a Vitesse, might be worthwhile talking to him about the viability of actually fitting one and what you have to do but I would go for products anyone on the forum has fitted or it may be "buy in haste repent at leisure."

Hello Iain,

I use this chap and his fans are excellent - fitted them to a number of Sunbeam Alpine, my Vitesse and Daimler.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoney-Racing-Electric-Radiator-Fan-120W-160W-220W-8-9-12-14-16-12v-Slim/182022136506?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2a615d62ba:m:mZ68BeT9SK71lUjF2mW-EaQ&enc=AQAEAAACUBPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qXeQaMHAnjYtEfb830rmo9%2FpPNh3p2YAwQV2A2klwee8LwQb6oWEIAE0NUgFfW374IaxwHd4kjvzv5Yp5eA%2Fukj9FmqP39qTW%2FVLzNaiqNFthPgESbCFFou2eA9UZJWwFtzlxad2NSFsrI4PUA7xeREXpcHtGUYSl6FkndMZese%2BkJSIM59c0eQK9Ujv7aL4FDUIZboM4fkn7Fy6LMu2WLmJLDau7xWyPsY7xv23e7IZeA2aV42LqbvyHHpMT6pGNOy32d6VANL3U36Lwxo7KNDUeNubuG9ZCxTAfI5qa1Sxw%2FD9umj70MkcFm5UJRR5Jz2HQm9cA4ytHcp%2BwCuMFxC7oBHoXeXUHo9pAGuU%2F6%2FudOkwRc5O0KoPVPUftfcj46i71A2hfY%2B%2FF5cyNrAGRTNnyi4naK8TOOqkXR1a4CvRTSiN9rrwy3nD1CzmAItF305ugM1JHlOH0gysFhovLFKN3gugPwm2Tp8pCU%2Fgnw9O9TOlkjTxo%2FeNHUPj1jmDvZZauaKYm%2FbPPVbtSdsBDrexrZyHqzN8%2F8oZLiuI0yny%2FXvzKzmEPVjSkDSQ97QabZFkT7wZVwZudruQo1gV8mfunouqVD%2B1lL8Xlb63FzoFkx0VUY9sfVf0v3x1pcz6i01XLx7LPEOzfrubyCkLM8PZckT7Sut5T76MWQeSe12dNnW6%2BKzfy8usygG6Y05hti5B0YASFJ1RJudQQ3jsSKGY%2FOV9hGFeGQVY881Cl1uHWQ5ANKYVydTVdz4DsUv%2FoA%3D&checksum=18202213650665b4fc8434ef43319a5fd7afb70cac82

80W fans are useless IMHO - I appreciate many will have this size, just my personal choice. 

I  fit the 120W fans and for the Daimler I have just fitted a 160W - did think about going 220W but not required.

His sale page is useful, because he lists all the necessary dimensions and other required technical info.

Hope it assists ??

Regards.

Richard.

If you fit or have the smaller fan spacer and using washers filed at an slant to mount the rad on the chassis you can then angle the rad forward to gain more clearance with the water pump.

But watch the bonnet clearance with the filler cap.

Dave

Richard,

Thanks for the link, did you use the SRU PULL straight or curved blade 12" 120W? Certainly seems a good price especially as you have used them before and are presumably reliable. Also did you use their in line hose temp switch?

Dave,

Good tip I'll have a look as I have finally found someone to let me into the factory where my car has been stored!

Iain

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, johny said:

Some fan makers are reputed to exaggerate the power of their items and the cheapy 120w Chinese eBay item I bought certainly didn't draw anywhere near 10amps....

Exactly right, when it comes to cooling our classic engines for modern day traffic conditions paying an extra few bob for something that is reliable and works is cheap money.

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

Richard,

Thanks for the link, did you use the SRU PULL straight or curved blade 12" 120W? Certainly seems a good price especially as you have used them before and are presumably reliable. Also did you use their in line hose temp switch?

Hello Iain,

I used a120W / 12" fan with curved blade for the Vitesse & employed a top hose inline switch. The inline switch was not a Stony Racing product but a unit I had picked up elsewhere - both products have looked after the car and I have no issues with the cooling performance to date. I did consider a 14" fan, but the rad width is too narrow whereas the height is fine.

120W on the Vitesse is probably your limit dimension wise, due to the water pump housing.

Dave, who owns the company, is a decent chap and helpful; he can be contacted outside of eBay and as such may warrant a better price - just a thought. 

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

Thanks very much for the information a recommendation from a Forum member is worth more than all the stars on eBay. Sitting on the M4 in a 10 mile traffic jam with the temp gauge getting up to the "I'm bl**dy hot" range was not good. 

When I tried the Revotec template it was as you say the water pump housing that caused the problem.

Cheers

Iain

3 hours ago, johny said:

Some fan makers are reputed to exaggerate the power of their items and the cheapy 120w Chinese eBay item I bought certainly didn't draw anywhere near 10amps....

I recently measured the current draw on a ebay fan. Yes, it did draw the 120W (10A) but on startup, once running it was down to 5A (60W)

I HIGHLY recommend Spal fans. Not cheap, but OE on merc (or used to be) and suppliers to WRC teams etc etc. They publish all the data you could want on their fans. But like Steve above, I have their cheapish (£65) 11"fan on my 185bhp spitfire. Once the fan kicks in after a thrashing, it stays on for a pretty short time to bring the temp down. Just a proper quality bit of kit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Clive,

The Spal fan is indeed extremely compact, powerful plus OE supplier definitely worth considering. T7 design sell them as you say for about £60.

Thanks

Iain

T7 is indeed where I bought mine. Looking back it was a little under £60 at the time. 

I was tempted by one of the WRC fans, but decided it would be overkill! 

Another vote for Spal via T7 design.  Have one on the GT6 - it works well.

Not sure what the one on my Vitesse is - came from our local radiator repair shop about 15 years ago and is still going strong.  Was only about £40 at the time.  It's was a very tight fit, since slightly relieved by shuffling the engine back about 15mm.

Nick